Posted to alt.home.repair
Alan Whitehouse

Default Septic Tank and Water Softener

Hi,

I have a septic tank. I also have 3 water softener units (one is a softner,
one is for iron removal and one is for tannin removal). Each runs on a 3
day cycle so one regenerates each night and flushes all the water into the
drain. I just discoverd that these don't drain into the septic tank but
just into a space in my back yard. I now know the answer to why that area
is always soggy. Unfortunately the area has become a mosquito breeding
ground and we have a 20 x 20 area of the back yard we really can't use.

I am doing renovations now and have the opportunity to re-route these to
feed into my septic tank. My question is whether or not this is a bad thing
for the septic tank? It is all water and no solid, but don't know enough
about the details of septic to know for sure.

Any thoughts?

Alan

Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR

"Alan Whitehouse" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Alan -- there are a lot of variables and I'm not a professional in this
field, but let me make a few suggestions:

--Your system sounds a lot like mine, located in Central Florida. If you're
in a similar location, there should be some way to minimize the soggy
area -- perhaps with a slight change in grade, digging a dry well, or simply
using the area for a garden with plants that like this environment.

-- If your soil is as sandy as mine, it should drain pretty quickly.

-- Have you considered having all three units cycle on the same day, which
gives three days for the area to dry out?

-- Are you sure you need to recycle this frequently? I have mine recycling
on 4 days and six days, which is adequate. Especially for the
tannin-removal (a potassium permanganate unit?) you should be able to go six
days or more before needing recycling.

-- If you don't have one already, consider adding a hose bib that draws
water before it goes into the tanks, so that water you use for pressure
washing, washing cars, watering the lawn, etc. doesn't deplete your
chemicals.

-- My personal preference is to not send water to the septic tank that
doesn't need treatment.

Regards --

Posted to alt.home.repair
Alan Whitehouse

Thanks for the advice. The soil has a lot of clay and I can't really change
the grade.

I will probably look at a dry well come spring then.

The guys that did the install suggested once every 3 days. The iron and
tannin I have is pretty heavy.

All my outside taps come straight from the well so I am good there.

"JimR" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

[...]

It depends on how big your septic system is.. If the tank
is comfortable with the added through-put, and the leechfield
can handle the water volume, you're not likely to poison
the septic tank. But a separate drywell is still a better idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Goedjn" wrote in message

[...]

what about the salt? when i asked the designer of my septic system, he most
definitely said not to route that water in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

what about the salt? when i asked the designer of my septic system, he most
definitely said not to route that water in there.

Short-term, unless you got a really cheap-ass system, or the effluent
from the water purification is a big fraction of your total wastewater
output, the salt load shouldn't be a significant issue. If it was,
you'd have already killed the grass where you're dumping it now.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Goedjn" wrote in message

what about the salt? when i asked the designer of my septic system, he
most
definitely said not to route that water in there.

Short-term, unless you got a really cheap-ass system, or the effluent
from the water purification is a big fraction of your total wastewater
output, the salt load shouldn't be a significant issue. If it was,
you'd have already killed the grass where you're dumping it now.

i don't have one yet, but was considering it. i live in the az desert. no
grass for a couple of miles. since it's only my wife and i, it just might be
a large fraction.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:14:34 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

"Goedjn" wrote in message
.. .

what about the salt? when i asked the designer of my septic system, he
most
definitely said not to route that water in there.

Short-term, unless you got a really cheap-ass system, or the effluent
from the water purification is a big fraction of your total wastewater
output, the salt load shouldn't be a significant issue. If it was,
you'd have already killed the grass where you're dumping it now.

i don't have one yet, but was considering it. i live in the az desert. no
grass for a couple of miles. since it's only my wife and i, it just might be
a large fraction.

Ah.. well, in that case, put in a drywell at the same time, for
that and the washing machine. Neither one will destroy a properly
built septic system, but they're not exactly helpful, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

what about the salt? when i asked the designer of my septic system, he most
definitely said not to route that water in there.

Exactly
The salt will destroy your septic.

Why do you believe that?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Slusser

Goedjn wrote:

what about the salt? when i asked the designer of my septic system, he most
definitely said not to route that water in there.

Exactly
The salt will destroy your septic.

Why do you believe that?

Dry wells are usually illegal in many areas.

The septic tank is where the best choice.

http://wqa.org/sitelogic.cfm?ID=212
http://www.epa.gov/ord/NRMRL/pubs/62...8/html/fs3.htm
http://tinyurl.com/63bq7

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Alan Whitehouse, Jill wrote:
How a softener works...
Ion exchange.
The discharge from a water softener is discharging minerals that cause hard
water, like calcium and other minerals that your water report should have
listed as hard water culprits and some iron. The salt water comes out of your
taps, which is already going into your septic tank.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ner-51064-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Alan Whitehouse, Guru wrote:
Do not feed the softened water to the septic tank, it kills the bacteria
working to break down any thing going to your septic tank.
I would also avoid and used softened water piped into the septic tank

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ner-51064-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2018 9:44 AM, Guru wrote:
replying to Alan Whitehouse, Guru wrote:
Do not feed the softened water to the septic tank, it kills the bacteria
working to break down any thing going to your septic tank.
I would also avoid and used softened water piped into the septic tank

How about some documentation or a cite on that theory, Guru?

I call bull**** on your statement and offer the following University of
Wisconsin research to rebut it.

https://www.uwsp.edu/cnr-ap/watershed/Pages/GWSofteners.aspx

Further, having lived with a septic system at our home (new in 1974) for
44 years now, I can provide anecdotal information that it doesn't affect
it one bit and, as the study above says, MAY actually increase its
efficiency.

We didn't pump out our septic tank for at least ten years after the
system was constructed and installed. Pumper said "you really should do
this every year or two." He ate his words (but not the sludge) when he
opened the tank to pump out the sludge and found that there was less
than 12" of sludge at the very bottom of the tank where he expected,
based on the plumbing and size of the family to be at least 5' and was
worried about the sludge migrating to the tile field (which is the
danger to the system as it plugs the leaching bed). Pumped it again
about 12 years after that and again another 12 years later when having
some other work done. Suppose it's time to give them another call.

And before you ask, yes, both the household waste water as well as the
brine from recharging goes directly into the septic system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2018 14:44:02 GMT, Guru
m wrote:

replying to Alan Whitehouse, Guru wrote:
Do not feed the softened water to the septic tank, it kills the bacteria
working to break down any thing going to your septic tank.
I would also avoid and used softened water piped into the septic tank

I don't know where you heard this but the OP has been dumping his
water softener for 8 years and has had no problems. It is more like 35
for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 9:44:07 AM UTC-5, Guru wrote:
replying to Alan Whitehouse, Guru wrote:
Do not feed the softened water to the septic tank, it kills the bacteria
working to break down any thing going to your septic tank.
I would also avoid and used softened water piped into the septic tank
--

Hey Guru, Alan has been waiting 13 years for you to enlighten him. WTF took you so long?! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2018 9:44 AM, Guru wrote:
replying to Alan Whitehouse, Guru wrote:
Do not feed the softened water to the septic tank, it kills the bacteria
working to break down any thing going to your septic tank.
I would also avoid and used softened water piped into the septic tank

How about some documentation or a cite on that theory, Guru?

I call bull**** on your statement and offer the following University of
Wisconsin research to rebut it.

https://www.uwsp.edu/cnr-ap/watershed/Pages/GWSofteners.aspx

Further, having lived with a septic system at our home (new in 1974) for
44 years now, I can provide anecdotal information that it doesn't affect
it one bit and, as the study above says, MAY actually increase its
efficiency.

We didn't pump out our septic tank for at least ten years after the
system was constructed and installed.Â* Pumper said "you really should do
this every year or two."Â* He ate his words (but not the sludge) when he
opened the tank to pump out the sludge and found that there was less
than 12" of sludge at the very bottom of the tank where he expected,
based on the plumbing and size of the family to be at least 5' and was
worried about the sludge migrating to the tile field (which is the
danger to the system as it plugs the leaching bed).Â* Pumped it again
about 12 years after that and again another 12 years later when having
some other work done.Â* Suppose it's time to give them another call.

And before you ask, yes, both the household waste water as well as the
brine from recharging goes directly into the septic system.

I just copied this from Delaware's requirements:

€śCurtain Drain€ť means a trench 36 inches wide and 24 €“ 36 inches deep
with 12 inches of aggregate into which water softener backwash is disposed."

Found out about this a few years ago when next door neighbor sold his
house and had to install the extra drainage for softener discharge.

Most of us know that salt is not too friendly to concrete and I think
that is the rational.

Like you, I have lived with a septic system functioning very well for 44
years but with several neighbors moving or about to move have learned
about new regulation with septic and rest of house as I discussed here
with my new deck last year.

Most bothersome is new perk requirement that had neighbors had to put in
an extra chemical treatment tank for grey water at cost of $20,000. The
buried tank is like an upside down huge bath tube with manhole sized
hatch for service. It is full of chemical containing pillows to rid
effluent of bacteria and heavy metals before it perks. I had mentioned
in ng months ago if anyone had this system but got no response.

Right now with just Mom and I living here we only get pumped every 5 or
so years and all is fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2018 12:02:04 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 5/28/2018 9:44 AM, Guru wrote:
[...]

Decades ago when I had my yard torn up regrading for a slab and some
other work I put in a 40' trench lined with septic membrane and
several yards of gravel that had a 4" perf pipe in it. I have been
discharging my water softener in it for 35 years. It is also perc's
well enough that I can pump out my spa in there occasionally without a
problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2018 9:44 AM, Guru wrote:
[...]

I don't have a water softener system but would be concerned of effect on
settlement tank.

You may be fine but depending where you live, rules may have changed,
and you might have to make changes if you sell your house. Too good a
perk may put bacteria into the aquifer and get into your or neighbors
wells. Next door neighbor's drain field is close to his neighbors well
in back.

I learned a lot about the aquifer last year when a next door neighbor's
well went dry and they had to have a new one dug. Aquifer is not like a
pool of water or a stream but water moving through porous rock.

I have two fields, both more evaporation type beds as my perc is not
that good. We had 2nd field put in when original field got wet with 5
of us in the house. I have a box where fields are easily switched if
one gets wet. Now with low flow flush toilets and other water saver
appliance, I've been using the original field for the last 20 years.
Don't know what might develop from inspections if I need to sell and
move. Neighbor up the street is prepping his house for sale and has had
to put $60,000 into it with outside painting, new roof and septic system
without doing anything inside yet.

cheap water tank needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 10th 05 12:22 PM
Complete new CH or just new boiler ChrisJ UK diy 4 September 15th 04 09:05 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Water Softener Problems Gary Slusser Home Repair 0 July 21st 03 05:18 PM