Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic Tank Questions

I'm new to having a septic tank. This
is a new house with a new septic system.
The TV commercials would have you
dumping in theirs products (enzyme
stuff) every week or month. Is this
good? Is it required? Can I dump dog
poop into the clean out opening? It
does go right to the pipe that goes to
the tank. I realize I can't dump so
much, without water, such that it would
plug up the pipe.
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
I'm new to having a septic tank. This
is a new house with a new septic system.
The TV commercials would have you
dumping in theirs products (enzyme
stuff) every week or month. Is this
good? Is it required? Can I dump dog
poop into the clean out opening? It
does go right to the pipe that goes to
the tank. I realize I can't dump so
much, without water, such that it would
plug up the pipe.
Thanks.

Considering that septic tanks were around long before either the enzymes or
TV, I'd venture they're not required.

Sure, you can put dog poop in the tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 10:15*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
I'm new to having a septic tank. *This
is a new house with a new septic system.
*The TV commercials would have you
dumping in theirs products (enzyme
stuff) every week or month. *Is this
good? *Is it required? *Can I dump dog
poop into the clean out opening? *It
does go right to the pipe that goes to
the tank. *I realize I can't dump so
much, without water, such that it would
plug up the pipe.
Thanks.

Considering that septic tanks were around long before either the enzymes or
TV, I'd venture they're not required.

Sure, you can put dog poop in the tank.

Art:

Hi: Make sure the poop goes into the half of the tank that is
closest to the house. Pump out the tank at least every 5 years so the
drain field does not get clogged. Never dump anthing down the drain -
kitchen or bathroom that cannot be dissolved in less than a year.
That type of stuff is what will eventually clog the tank.drain field.
If it is organic, than it should be ok to flush. I avoid sending
dirt, stones, etc, down the line, fingernails, toenails, go down only
by mistake. We have been here (you know where) for 45 years and never
had any problems. WHen the kids were living here, we pumped every 4
years, now with just two of us we pump every 5 or 6 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
I'm new to having a septic tank. This
is a new house with a new septic system.
The TV commercials would have you
dumping in theirs products (enzyme
stuff) every week or month. Is this
good?

Yes, it is *very* good...good at separating fools and money thereby
enriching the purveyor.

Can I dump dog
poop into the clean out opening?

A rose is a rose is a rose and crap is crap.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 6:59*am, Art Todesco wrote:
I'm new to having a septic tank. *This
is a new house with a new septic system.
* The TV commercials would have you
dumping in theirs products (enzyme
stuff) every week or month. *Is this
good? *Is it required? *Can I dump dog
poop into the clean out opening? *It
does go right to the pipe that goes to
the tank. *I realize I can't dump so
much, without water, such that it would
plug up the pipe.
Thanks.

Instead of buying enzyme garbage, google a chart for a proper tank
pumping schedule based on tank size, occupants, etc. Solids only
break down so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:

I'm new to having a septic tank. This is a new house with a new septic
system.
The TV commercials would have you
dumping in theirs products (enzyme
stuff) every week or month. Is this
good? Is it required? Can I dump dog poop into the clean out opening?
It
does go right to the pipe that goes to the tank. I realize I can't dump
so
much, without water, such that it would plug up the pipe. Thanks.

You do need beneficial bacteria in the tank to break down the solid waste.
But once they are established, there should be no need for frequently
refreshing the microscopic critters. Annually should be more than enough.

What is much more important is what to not put into the septic system.
Little or no bleach. No grease, cooking oil or food scraps (and do not use
an in sink garbage disposal). No cigarette butts. No cotton (or cottony)
feminine hygiene products. No paint. No strong chemicals or solvents of
any kind such as paint thinner, mineral oil or paint stripper. No
gasoline, motor oil, or lubricating oil.

Some of the above will kill the good bacteria. Others will not break down
and will eventually clog the system.

Wikipedia has a pretty good article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_tank

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 6:59*am, Art Todesco wrote:
I'm new to having a septic tank. *This
is a new house with a new septic system.
* The TV commercials would have you
dumping in theirs products (enzyme
stuff) every week or month. *Is this
good? *Is it required? *Can I dump dog
poop into the clean out opening? *It
does go right to the pipe that goes to
the tank. *I realize I can't dump so
much, without water, such that it would
plug up the pipe.
Thanks.

The additives are one of the longest running scams going. I recall
their ads when I was a kid (me and Jesus went to different schools
together).

There is absolutely nothing in those packages that is not already in
the system...or in a new system soon will be.

As others have pointed out, a good pumping schedule is a must (and
they are getting rather spendy what with EPA regs, etc.) My fee had
tripled last pumpout as the company had to build its own disposal/
treatment plant and are not allowed to dump on agricultural land
anymore.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker wrote:
...put the washing machine out somewhere's off the septic).

In most jurisdictions that's not allowed...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
I'm new to having a septic tank. This is a new house with a new septic
system. The TV commercials would have you dumping in theirs products
(enzyme stuff) every week or month. Is this good? Is it required? Can
I dump dog poop into the clean out opening? It does go right to the
pipe that goes to the tank. I realize I can't dump so much, without
water, such that it would plug up the pipe.
Thanks.

It's not needed. Just use it normally, have it pumped every 3-4 years
and try to limit the amounts of detergents going into it. (IE put the
washing machine out somewhere's off the septic).

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
...put the washing machine out somewhere's off the septic).

In most jurisdictions that's not allowed...

--

whos asking? It's not customary to call them up and say "hey i'm
dumping my gray water out on the gravel driveway, is that ok?"

duh....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker wrote:
dpb wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
...put the washing machine out somewhere's off the septic).

In most jurisdictions that's not allowed...

--

whos asking? It's not customary to call them up and say "hey i'm
dumping my gray water out on the gravel driveway, is that ok?"

duh....

Occupancy permit inspections, neighbors, etc., etc., etc., ...

Doh!

In TN (of all places), it was during the buyer's inspection at sale time
when I learned a separate dry well wasn't permitted so had to fix it to
close...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
dpb wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
...put the washing machine out somewhere's off the septic).

In most jurisdictions that's not allowed...

--

whos asking? It's not customary to call them up and say "hey i'm
dumping my gray water out on the gravel driveway, is that ok?"

duh....

Occupancy permit inspections, neighbors, etc., etc., etc., ...

Doh!

In TN (of all places), it was during the buyer's inspection at sale time
when I learned a separate dry well wasn't permitted so had to fix it to
close...

--

hmmmmmm... i would never live in a place that was THAT close to
neighbors or has "occupancy permits".... SIGH
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 9:59�am, Art Todesco wrote:
I'm new to having a septic tank. �This
is a new house with a new septic system.
� The TV commercials would have you
dumping in theirs products (enzyme
stuff) every week or month. �Is this
good? �Is it required? �Can I dump dog
poop into the clean out opening? �It
does go right to the pipe that goes to
the tank. �I realize I can't dump so
much, without water, such that it would
plug up the pipe.
Thanks.

My last house had a septic system. I lived there 15 years and never
added any of the enzymes. It never gave me a problem. I only pumped it
when the new buyers requested it. If you call your local health
department, they will give you all the info you need for your area.

Yes, dog turds are ok to put in the tank. As long as it is in the
first part of the tank.

Remember: Women are like dog turds, the older they get, the easier
they are to pick up. (unknown aurthor)

Hank

No Septic Tank? Steve B Home Repair 29 June 19th 07 09:09 PM
Septic tank roots donh Home Repair 11 April 28th 07 04:14 AM
septic tank problems Tater Home Repair 9 October 4th 06 06:31 PM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM
Septic tank questions 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 2 March 31st 05 03:40 PM