1_Patriotic_Guy

Default Septic tank questions

Mom's system was installed in 1968 and is in my best guess a 5000 gallon
stainless steel
tank. It has never been pumped. The last time I serviced it, I put an
aerorator (which essentially looks like a fishing trolling motor on a stick
that churns the sludge to aid it in
mixing the bacteria to break down faster) back into operation and added a
white powder (would appreciate someone suggesting branded names) purchased
at the local hardware store that was also supposed to aid the process of
accelerating bacteria breaking down solid waste.
My perception is that there really are only minute amounts (maybe one part
per million) of solids going into the system. What we commonly call solid
waste is really human manure, a soft-solid which actually breaks down 100%
into pure liquid water after being eaten literally by the bacteria in the
septic tank. The only solids are minute amounts of iron in the water or
similar solids. The toilet paper always seems to totally
disappear/disintegrate. My guess is it would take several hundred or
perhaps a thousand years for these metals to accumulate. In reality most of
them probably stay in solution and filter back into the back yard in what
looks like clear water.
Also, I'm told pumping actually removes the bacteria needed to break down
the waste. I can understand why one would pump if the tank is too small for
the family size or is out of bacteria balance and isn't breaking down the
waste.
My questions are this:
1) How often should a tank be pumped? I imagine it varies based on size.
How do I tell that it needs to be pumped?
2) What are the names of additives to help make the septic system run right
and how often do folks add them?
3) The trolling motor aerorator always seems to pop its local circuit
breaker in between my visits home. Is it really necessary. What percentage
of septic tanks have this feature?

Thanks in advance.

SteveF

" My questions are this:
1) How often should a tank be pumped? I imagine it varies based on size.
How do I tell that it needs to be pumped?
2) What are the names of additives to help make the septic system run
right
and how often do folks add them?
3) The trolling motor aerorator always seems to pop its local circuit
breaker in between my visits home. Is it really necessary. What
percentage
of septic tanks have this feature?

Thanks in advance.

Complete breakdown of the solids should occur except that the average
homeowner does things that screw up the process like take showers and do
laundry which puts soap into the tank which kills bacteria. And if you
really want to mess up your system you can start doing things like cleaning
a bunch of paint brushes in the laundry room and flushing condoms down the
toilet.

We had ours done when we first moved in and again about 8 years later. The
septic guy said it look perfectly fine but there is just two of us. He
installs and services septic systems says to pump the tank out every 7 to 10
years. Obviously he has a vested interest in getting tanks pumped. On the
other hand, getting the tank pumped cost $125 which is a small fraction of
the cost of replacing the septic field if the lines no longer flow properly.

Rid-X is a major brand of septic tank additive.

Personally I have never heard of a trolling motor in a septic tank. Call
around to some of the septic installation and service companies in your area
and ask them if they are common.

Steve.

Beeper

When our septic system was installed during construction, I got talking to
the SEO(sewer enforcement officer) about septic systems. He schooled me a
little. There are 2 kinds of septic systems; aerobic and anaerobic. I still
get the 2 confused so if It's backwards excuse me. Aerobic is a system in
which cultures are introduced into the system . The bacteria eat away the
solids. If maintained properly, these systems never need to be pumped. These
systems have an aerator pump in them to keep air introduced in the waste
thus allowing bacteria to grow. The other system, anaerobic, which I have
is a "Dead" system. It accumulates waste and when full, you pump it out. I
asked the SEO how often I should get it pumped? He told me the best way to
figure that out is to let the system get full once, then you'll have an
accurate timeline based on your family's usage. Basically, all households
are not the same.
I took the lid off my system last year bcause the pump switch stuck on.
Believe it or not it is still without accumulation of solids. So even though
I have a dead system, The solids are obviously still breaking down. This
was after 5 years.
"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

cheap water tank needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 10th 05 12:22 PM
septic tank replacement TonyK UK diy 41 February 11th 05 10:25 AM
Driving truck over septic tank???? joe Home Ownership 2 January 30th 05 10:58 PM
preparing a propane tank for reusal .. pix Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 January 26th 05 05:54 PM
Septic Tank, should it be filled with water? Colbyt Home Repair 2 July 2nd 03 03:52 PM