SteveF

" My questions are this:
1) How often should a tank be pumped? I imagine it varies based on size.
How do I tell that it needs to be pumped?
2) What are the names of additives to help make the septic system run
right
and how often do folks add them?
3) The trolling motor aerorator always seems to pop its local circuit
breaker in between my visits home. Is it really necessary. What
percentage
of septic tanks have this feature?

Thanks in advance.

Complete breakdown of the solids should occur except that the average
homeowner does things that screw up the process like take showers and do
laundry which puts soap into the tank which kills bacteria. And if you
really want to mess up your system you can start doing things like cleaning
a bunch of paint brushes in the laundry room and flushing condoms down the
toilet.

We had ours done when we first moved in and again about 8 years later. The
septic guy said it look perfectly fine but there is just two of us. He
installs and services septic systems says to pump the tank out every 7 to 10
years. Obviously he has a vested interest in getting tanks pumped. On the
other hand, getting the tank pumped cost $125 which is a small fraction of
the cost of replacing the septic field if the lines no longer flow properly.

Rid-X is a major brand of septic tank additive.

Personally I have never heard of a trolling motor in a septic tank. Call
around to some of the septic installation and service companies in your area
and ask them if they are common.

Steve.