TonyK

Default septic tank replacement

We have an old septic tank, ie. big concrete box in the ground, half
settlement tank and half clinker.

The tank is well past is useby date and we've just discovered the original
drains are failing etc. I'm looking at a £3K bill just to get the damn thing
emptied due to its location.

Heres the plan... re-divert existing main drain 30m to a 4500l Klargester
style onion from which the grey water runs through another drain to the
original tank (once emptied).

The theory is I'll have a a proper Klargester doing the seperation and the
original tank then "filters" the grey water even further and in theory never
needs emptying again (hope/pray).

Sort of a double tank system with the Klargester emptied quarterly.

BTW , based on the FAQs 180L per day I need (180x70x300)+(180x8x300) = 3.9m
L... since our water is metered I know we only used 1.5m L last year so I
gues this is more accurate? Rain water runs off through land drains.

A BioDisc is out of the question. Have been quoted £40-50K. I can do this
system for under £10K including the emptying!

Any thoughts, observations, obvious flaws?

Ta

Peter Crosland

I doubt you will get Environment Agency consent and building regulations
approval to do it. A fully installed subterranean system cost me £7,000 last
years including removal of the old system

Peter Crosland

Blair Malcolm

"TonyK" wrote in message
[...]

I have a Klargester and the over flow water is fed to a soakaway adjacent to
it. Built my house 10 years ago and it has never been emptied as the
bacteria is active and deals with all waste provided your wife does not
empty strong chemical cleaners down the drain.
Secondly my old house which had a brick chamber with a divider is at least
50 years old and again has never been emptied to my knowledge for 30 years.
You could replace the original drains leading to the original tank at a
fraction of the cost you are talking about
What is wrong with the tank? A bit of cement repair work could transform
it.
Just a thought!!
Blair

TonyK

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
I doubt you will get Environment Agency consent and building regulations
approval to do it. A fully installed subterranean system cost me £7,000

last
years including removal of the old system

Peter Crosland

This is what I reckon as well. I can see the EA saying no initially but in
theory what I propose is improving what is there and they are already happy
with. Instead of the Klargester going into land drains its going through a
whole other system which is designed to deal with raw sewerage. So all in
all its going to be better and safer than any single system. Bit
unconventional admittadly but if they are happy with both systems
individually then I shoud be able to convince them (I hope).

£5-£10K is what I expect it will cost all in. I've been quoted £750 inc VAT
for a 1000 gal. Klargester so with pipework, dig, install etc should be
reasonable.

TonyK

"Blair Malcolm" wrote in message

"TonyK" wrote in message
[...]

Yep but were talking about treating 1.5 million litres of water a year from
the mains alone.

Peter Crosland

[...]

I should make it clear I was talking about a domestic plant serving a three
bedroon bungalow. You should also remember that The EA will now only issue
septic tank consents valid for ten years from the date of issue. This means
after ten years they could force you to replace it with something less
polluting. For that reason alone doing the job with a proper plant would be
more sense long term. A properly functioning septic tank is recomended to be
emptied every two years.

Peter Crosland

The Natural Philosopher

TonyK wrote:

[...]

Odd, since my biodisc installed was 4.5k, and a quote to do it
professionally by some company was about 5.5k.

Any thoughts, observations, obvious flaws?

Get a Klargester biodisc and install it, and use that, and only that.

Its more than good enough on its own.

Ta

Rick

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:08:01 -0000, "TonyK"
wrote:

[...]

Sir

You can get packaged sewage treatment units for less than 5K,
including installation, if you do some of the work yourself.

First you get a consent to discharge from the Environment Agency, you
can them empty onto the land / river with one of these things.

I got my unit from Angilan Polution Control. I got a digger in for 15
quid an hour including driver, and did all the plumbing bits myself.

Building regs check it out, so you have quality control as well.

You need an anual pump out, I pay 50 quid a go for mine, and the guy
comes with a big go anywhere tractor. I pump out when the weather is
dry in the summer.

Rick

John Anderton

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:39:03 -0000, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

You should also remember that The EA will now only issue
septic tank consents valid for ten years from the date of issue. This means
after ten years they could force you to replace it with something less
polluting.

I think it's twelve years, at least it was for me,(unless the official
in question made a mistake, of course :-) )

Cheers,

John

Ratty

"TonyK" wrote in message
[...]

You have the best now, the modern equivalent is the Albion which consists of
two parallel concrete rings which goes to soakaway.

1. What I would do I would re-do the spreader, empty the tank, and it will
be as good as new. The reason the spreader has failed is because the tank
has not been emptied regularly. Empting depends how thick is the crust in
the primary tank 18" is max.

2. The alternative is a reed bed system. SepticTank to reed bed tank 1, to
next reed bed, then to discharge to pond with fish or ditch or river. The
Environ Agency (EA) love reed beds.

In my system I have permit to discharge to ditch or river, my system is for
10 people. I have Albion going into 2 small reed bed tanks then to pond
overflow to open ditch. I scoop out the crust every 2 years as I need the
grey water to feed the reeds. The fish in the pond love it, the water was
checked, for the first year by EA, and they don't come any more. I built it
all 7 years ago and its perfect. Permit is for life of system.

John Anderton

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 06:23:08 -0000, "Ratty"
wrote:

[...]

One thing to bear in mind though is that the rules changed about three
or four years ago and the EA are now substantially tougher about
things so what was fine seven years ago may not be acceptable today
:-(

Cheers,

John
Mike

news
wrote:

[...]

That explains it. We looked at putting a reed bed in and got a
straightforward "NO!"

Ratty

wrote:

[...]

Was that from the EA, or building regulations.

I got permission from the EA first, they visited my site we discussed what I
proposed to install, they gave approval. I them went to put plans into
planning and I was told that they did not like reed beds.
I paid my money and asked them for a refusal as I have EA permission and I
would go to appeal.
The planning officer said he did not like my method of dealing as the way I
did this he could not make a decision. I would now start again with the EA
and not planning.

I use http://www.cresswater.co.uk/about.html a Dr Rick Hudson as consultant
and I get what I want.

If you want advice consult him and you will get what you want.

.

In article , TonyK
writes
We have an old septic tank, ie. big concrete box in the ground, half
settlement tank and half clinker.

The tank is well past is useby date and we've just discovered the original
drains are failing etc. I'm looking at a £3K bill just to get the damn thing
emptied due to its location.

That sounds horrendous, where the hell is it? we had one at the bottom
of the garden next to a river which was too far from the road to empty,
we always used a local farmer to empty ours and he just drove in the
field the other side of the river with his sludgebuster and emptied it
across the river, cost about £70 IIRC.
--
David
Tony Hogarty

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:33:48 +0000, . wrote:

That sounds horrendous, where the hell is it? we had one at the bottom of
the garden next to a river which was too far from the road to empty, we
always used a local farmer to empty ours and he just drove in the field
the other side of the river with his sludgebuster and emptied it across
the river, cost about £70 IIRC.

And I bet he declared the £70 to the Inland Revenue - not.
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)

Peter Crosland

Thanks for that John. I could well be wrong. The point is still valid in
that it is for a relatively short time. My guess is that all septic tanks
will have to be replaced with less polluting systems within the next fifteen
years

Peter Crosland

Rick

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:13:41 +0000, Tony Hogarty
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:33:48 +0000, . wrote:

That sounds horrendous, where the hell is it? we had one at the bottom of
the garden next to a river which was too far from the road to empty, we
always used a local farmer to empty ours and he just drove in the field
the other side of the river with his sludgebuster and emptied it across
the river, cost about £70 IIRC.

And I bet he declared the £70 to the Inland Revenue - not.

I would guess he would, because the local sewage works would have a
record of him giving them part of the 70 quid to empty his tank .....

Rick

Peter Crosland

Planning permission for a reed bed is a quite separate issue from EA
consent.

Peter Crosland

Peter Crosland

And by so doing both you and the farmer have committed a criminal offence!
You could well get a large £500 plus fine for it.

Peter Crosland

.

In article , Peter Crosland
writes
And by so doing both you and the farmer have committed a criminal offence!
You could well get a large £500 plus fine for it.

Peter Crosland

Who are you replying to Peter?

--
David
Mike

wrote:

[...]

The planning authority.

Mike

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Thanks for that John. I could well be wrong. The point is still valid in
that it is for a relatively short time. My guess is that all septic tanks
will have to be replaced with less polluting systems within the next

fifteen
years

Since some have fifty years of life left in them I don't see how they'll
enforce this. Also if they won't allow reed beds and powered solutions
aren't appropriate where you live, there isn't much left other than a septic
tank.

John

"." wrote in message
In article , Peter Crosland
writes
And by so doing both you and the farmer have committed a criminal offence!
You could well get a large £500 plus fine for it.

Peter Crosland

Who are you replying to Peter?

Don't you think any farmer with half a brain would simply pump the **** over
his muckpile far from the madding crowd? His chance of being found out are
somewhere approaching zero. Even with the threatened satellite observation
of his lands he only has to do it with a decent cloud cover - not hard in
the uk is it?

John Anderton

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:53:56 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Thanks for that John. I could well be wrong. The point is still valid in
that it is for a relatively short time. My guess is that all septic tanks
will have to be replaced with less polluting systems within the next

fifteen
years

Since some have fifty years of life left in them I don't see how they'll
enforce this. Also if they won't allow reed beds and powered solutions
aren't appropriate where you live, there isn't much left other than a septic
tank.

You're not seriously expecting a sensible response from the powers
that be are you ? :-)

I fully expect to be told in 2015 that, despite having nothing nearby
that could conceivably be impacted by the discharge from my (modern)
septic tank, I will have to fork out serious money for a fully
functioning mini treatment works costing tens of thousands of pounds
to cope with the excretions of one human being. (Obviously the
excretions of the thousand or so foxes, badgers, deer, cows, pheasants
etc. etc. etc. in the vicinity are not a problem !) Either that or
I'll be forced to use a cess pit.
Peter Crosland

I was replying to the suggestion that you get local farmer to empty it.

Peter Crosland

Peter Crosland

I fully expect to be told in 2015 that, despite having nothing nearby
that could conceivably be impacted by the discharge from my (modern)
septic tank, I will have to fork out serious money for a fully
functioning mini treatment works costing tens of thousands of pounds
to cope with the excretions of one human being.

A fully installed mini treatment plant that will serve a household of six
people is around £7,000 not the ridiculous figure you suggest.

Mike

[...]

Is 2015 a particular date of some legislation I need to be aware of, or just
an arbitary date ?

Mike

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
I fully expect to be told in 2015 that, despite having nothing nearby
that could conceivably be impacted by the discharge from my (modern)
septic tank, I will have to fork out serious money for a fully
functioning mini treatment works costing tens of thousands of pounds
to cope with the excretions of one human being.

A fully installed mini treatment plant that will serve a household of six
people is around £7,000 not the ridiculous figure you suggest.

But it still needs power. It would often cost more than that to get power
to it.

.

In article , John
writes

"." wrote in message
.. .
In article , Peter Crosland
writes
And by so doing both you and the farmer have committed a criminal offence!
You could well get a large £500 plus fine for it.

Peter Crosland

Who are you replying to Peter?

Don't you think any farmer with half a brain would simply pump the **** over
his muckpile far from the madding crowd? His chance of being found out are
somewhere approaching zero. Even with the threatened satellite observation
of his lands he only has to do it with a decent cloud cover - not hard in
the uk is it?

Possibly but not if they are licensed to carry out such work, they
perhaps wouldn't risk their license

--
David
.

In article , Peter Crosland
writes
I was replying to the suggestion that you get local farmer to empty it.

Peter Crosland

My local farmer was a licensed council waste disposal service provider
as many of them are if they have the equipment, its a nice little
earner.
--
David
The Natural Philosopher

Mike wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

I fully expect to be told in 2015 that, despite having nothing nearby
that could conceivably be impacted by the discharge from my (modern)
septic tank, I will have to fork out serious money for a fully
functioning mini treatment works costing tens of thousands of pounds
to cope with the excretions of one human being.

A fully installed mini treatment plant that will serve a household of six
people is around £7,000 not the ridiculous figure you suggest.

But it still needs power. It would often cost more than that to get power
to it.

By law it must be no further than 35m form the house. You have to dig a
trench for the drain anyway, the armoured cable goes in it as well. No
modern house would be allowed a toilet without electricity for a fan.

So where is this extreme expense coming from?

AT MOST it would cost about 150 quid for a bit of cable.

Mike

Mike wrote:

[...]

Mine is a good hundred metres from the house. It couldn't be any nearer as
the outflows would be attempting to go uphill ! And we are talking about
the enforced replacement of existing septic tanks so the drain is already
there. But a trench would have to be dug for the cable. This can run into
thousands no sweat.

Owain

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| But it still needs power. It would often cost more than that to get
power
| to it.
| By law it must be no further than 35m form the house. You have to dig a
| trench for the drain anyway, the armoured cable goes in it as well. No
| modern house would be allowed a toilet without electricity for a fan.
| So where is this extreme expense coming from?
| AT MOST it would cost about 150 quid for a bit of cable.

That assumes the house has electricity to start with. Gas lighting still
AFAIK satisfies B Regs for a fixed lighting installation, which must be
provided in dwellings.

Owain

Mike

"." wrote in message
In article , John
writes

"." wrote in message
.. .
In article , Peter Crosland
writes
And by so doing both you and the farmer have committed a criminal

offence!
You could well get a large £500 plus fine for it.

Peter Crosland

Who are you replying to Peter?

Don't you think any farmer with half a brain would simply pump the ****

over
his muckpile far from the madding crowd? His chance of being found out

are
somewhere approaching zero. Even with the threatened satellite

observation
of his lands he only has to do it with a decent cloud cover - not hard in
the uk is it?

Possibly but not if they are licensed to carry out such work, they
perhaps wouldn't risk their license

Also human waste is quite noticeably different to that of farm animals so
anybody passing would notice.

The Natural Philosopher

Mike wrote:

Mike wrote:

[...]

I can dig and refill a 100 meter trench in a day with a mini digger
hired for 150 quid. And at most I would expect to pay someone else 150
quid to drive it.

Mike

t...
Mike wrote:

Mike wrote:

[...]

No you can't. The BCO has to come and inspect it once it's dug and filled
with gravel and that typically takes 2 days for him to turn up :-)

John Anderton

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:51:15 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

"John Anderton" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:53:56 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

I fully expect to be told in 2015 that,

Is 2015 a particular date of some legislation I need to be aware of, or just
an arbitary date ?

It's the date my consent runs out

Cheers,

John
John Anderton

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:44:58 -0000, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

A fully installed mini treatment plant that will serve a household of six
people is around £7,000 not the ridiculous figure you suggest.

I take it you missed the smiley in my message ?