Mike

Mike wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

I fully expect to be told in 2015 that, despite having nothing nearby
that could conceivably be impacted by the discharge from my (modern)
septic tank, I will have to fork out serious money for a fully
functioning mini treatment works costing tens of thousands of pounds
to cope with the excretions of one human being.

A fully installed mini treatment plant that will serve a household of

six
people is around £7,000 not the ridiculous figure you suggest.

But it still needs power. It would often cost more than that to get

power
to it.

By law it must be no further than 35m form the house. You have to dig a
trench for the drain anyway, the armoured cable goes in it as well. No
modern house would be allowed a toilet without electricity for a fan.

So where is this extreme expense coming from?

AT MOST it would cost about 150 quid for a bit of cable.

Mine is a good hundred metres from the house. It couldn't be any nearer as
the outflows would be attempting to go uphill ! And we are talking about
the enforced replacement of existing septic tanks so the drain is already
there. But a trench would have to be dug for the cable. This can run into
thousands no sweat.