Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Default what to do after pumping out septic tank

are there any special precautions to take (for a short period of time)
after having the septic tank pumped? (routine maitenance pumping)

or should life just continue per normal, as if nothing had changed?

also, what is the purpose of the "baffle" near the input end of the
tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair
deviL doG

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

are there any special precautions to take (for a short period of time)
after having the septic tank pumped? (routine maitenance pumping)

or should life just continue per normal, as if nothing had changed?

Continue that normal life.

also, what is the purpose of the "baffle" near the input end of the
tank?

Don't Know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"deviL doG" wrote in message

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

are there any special precautions to take (for a short period of time)
after having the septic tank pumped? (routine maitenance pumping)

or should life just continue per normal, as if nothing had changed?

Continue that normal life.

also, what is the purpose of the "baffle" near the input end of the
tank?

Don't Know.

Are you baffled?

I think it is used to encourage better mixing of the incoming effluent. It
prevents the stuff from flowing quickly from input to output without mixing
with the rest of the crud.

Baffels are often used to create turbulance in a smooth flow or to otherwise
change or control flow patterns in liquids or gasses.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Ether Jones wrote:
are there any special precautions to take (for a short period of time)
after having the septic tank pumped? (routine maitenance pumping)

or should life just continue per normal, as if nothing had changed?

also, what is the purpose of the "baffle" near the input end of the
tank?

There are no precautions with normal use, although
filling the tank faster is preferable. It isn't
really a baffle, it is just a T or an L to direct
the influent flow down so that the influent
doesn't mix with the floating layer. The purpose
of the T at the outflow end is to allow the liquid
layer to flow out and keep the foam layer
(floating) in the tank. You don't want either the
floating layer or the bottom layer to enter the
drain field.
Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

Ether Jones wrote:
or should life just continue per normal, as if nothing had changed?

Continue as normal. Flushing your toilets will eventuall bring things
back to normal and fill the tank with liquid.

also, what is the purpose of the "baffle" near the input end of the
tank?

If the wall, or baffle were not there between the inlet and exit of the
tank,
the toilet paper, poop etc would flow out into the drainfield, clogging
everything. As all this stuff enters the tank it takes time for the
solids
to settle to the bottom. The liquid is free to pass under the baffle
and
up into the exit pipe.

The exit pipe is normally a pipe that exits slightly lower in elevation
than the inlet pipe, and the exit pipe should be a pipe that goes
through the tank wall and bends 90 degrees downwards about
2' into the liquid on the inside of the tank.

I am a tiler by trade but have had to restore/rebuild/repair most
of my own septic system so know a bit about it.

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 28 Mar 2006 10:24:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it George E.
Cawthon?

Ether Jones wrote:
are there any special precautions to take (for a short period of time)
after having the septic tank pumped? (routine maitenance pumping)

or should life just continue per normal, as if nothing had changed?

also, what is the purpose of the "baffle" near the input end of the
tank?

There are no precautions with normal use, although
filling the tank faster is preferable. It isn't
really a baffle, it is just a T or an L to direct
the influent flow down so that the influent
doesn't mix with the floating layer. The purpose
of the T at the outflow end is to allow the liquid
layer to flow out and keep the foam layer
(floating) in the tank. You don't want either the
floating layer or the bottom layer to enter the
drain field.

This leads me to my own question. We have never lived with a septic system
before, but will soon be moving into a new home with a new septic system.
The tank size is 1500 gal. Given that this is a brand new system, is there
anything special that should be done in the beginning of our using it?

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to alt.home.repair
deviL doG

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

"deviL doG" wrote in message

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

are there any special precautions to take (for a short period of time)
after having the septic tank pumped? (routine maitenance pumping)

or should life just continue per normal, as if nothing had changed?

Continue that normal life.

also, what is the purpose of the "baffle" near the input end of the
tank?

Don't Know.

Are you baffled?

I think it is used to encourage better mixing of the incoming effluent.
It prevents the stuff from flowing quickly from input to output without
mixing with the rest of the crud.

Baffels are often used to create turbulance in a smooth flow or to
otherwise change or control flow patterns in liquids or gasses.

Yes, I've been told all of this before, by tank manufacturers, engineers,
and installers. I'm old school. I listen, I nod. I'm not buying it (the
reasons)....yet. The exit baffle: great idea. The intake baffle: whatever
you say.

Posted to alt.home.repair
deviL doG

28.19...

Ether Jones wrote:
[...]

No. An average family of 4 uses 440 gallons of water per day (by design ;-)
, so you will fill the tank to full operating condition in 4 days or so.
Make sure you know *exactly* where the septic tank and distribution box
access covers are. You should get a "treasure map" from your builder that
will allow you to triangulate the location from 2 fixed points. Then be sure
to have your tank pumped every 2 years or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

also, what is the purpose of the "baffle" near the input end of the
tank?

Don't Know.

Are you baffled?

I think it is used to encourage better mixing of the incoming effluent. It
prevents the stuff from flowing quickly from input to output without mixing
with the rest of the crud.

Kind of backwards. It's set up that way to PREVENT the incoming
flow from disturbing either the floating scum layer or the
bottom sludge layer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

This leads me to my own question. We have never lived with a septic
system
before, but will soon be moving into a new home with a new septic
system.
The tank size is 1500 gal. Given that this is a brand new system, is
there
anything special that should be done in the beginning of our using it?
-- Wayne

Andy replies:
That's a BIG tank.... Make sure that you have a multitank system and
not
just a single big tank. The baffles mentioned in other posts act to
separate
the liquid from the sludge. My system is a three tank system. The
"last"
tank is always pure liquid. The "first tank" catches almost all of the

non-dissolvable matter while the "second' acts as a further filter.....
The "last " tank feeds the drainfield, where the liquid dissipates into
the earth. You do NOT want any dissolvables in the drainfield.....

I have seen single tank system and multitank systems. Single tank
systems need to be pumped out every couple years. A multitank
system can go 10-15 years before any sludge builds up inthe third
tank......

The only caution about having a tank pumped out is that you would
normally like it to be filled with water, or stuff, before a major
rainstorm.
Else the tank might "float" up and dislodge. Usually not a problem,
but
it CAN happen.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

( Where EVERYBODY has a septic tank )

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Ether Jones wrote:

[...]

No need to do anything. But you need to be
careful of what you put down the sewer--no
feminine products, no baby stuff (a lot of wipes
and stuff won't dissolve), and nothing that
doesn't dissolve. Forget about using the garbage
disposal (compost the garbage and put it in your
garden) or put it out for garbage pickup. Then
your system will need pumping in 6-10 years
depending on how many people you have and how good
the drain field of the septic tank is.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jdk

Ether Jones wrote:

[...]

george is right on. if your soil is clay and gets real wet, i would make
sure there is plenty of water in it. especially in spring. i was told by
the people that put mine in that in central ohio sometimes a lot of rain
can pop the tanks out a little if dry. don't know for a fact but was
told that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

are there any special precautions to take (for a short period of time)
after having the septic tank pumped? (routine maitenance pumping)

or should life just continue per normal, as if nothing had changed?

also, what is the purpose of the "baffle" near the input end of the
tank?

Ether:

Hold your nose, if it's a hot day, until the truck drives away! If you have
your tank pumped by a pro you're done as far as I know. All you're doping
is having the solids removed, the bacteria remains to continue the work down
there.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

Ether Jones wrote:
[...]

My goodness, 1,500 gallons, how many bedrooms is that bad boy rated for????

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

That's a BIG tank...

Not that unusual for a 4 bedroom home. Mine is 1500 gallons, 10 feet
long. And it's all one tank. I just finished exposing the entire top
and looking inside with a spotlight and a mirror (after having it
pumped out).

Tank goes to distribution box, which feeds four 80-foot runs of
"infiltrator".

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

All you're doing is having the solids removed

Actually they pumped out the entire contents: solids, liquid, and scum.

They pumped out all the scum first by holding the hose at surface level
to skim it all out.

Then they sucked out the liquid until the solids became visible.

Once the solids were visible, they sucked that out, using the little
bit of liquid left to help carry it up the hose.

When they ran out of liquid and there was still some solids left, they
had me turn on the kitchen and bathroom faucets to introduce more water
into the tank to mix with the solids so that the hose could continue to
pump it all out.

When they were done I had a pretty clean dry tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair
deviL doG

et...

Ether Jones wrote:
[...]

In Massachusetts, 1500 gallons is the minimum size tank allowed for new
construction.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

No need to do anything. But you need to be
careful of what you put down the sewer--no
feminine products, no baby stuff (a lot of wipes
and stuff won't dissolve), and nothing that
doesn't dissolve. Forget about using the garbage
disposal (compost the garbage and put it in your
garden) or put it out for garbage pickup. Then
your system will need pumping in 6-10 years
depending on how many people you have and how good
the drain field of the septic tank is.

I have been living in this home for almost 40 years, raised
3 children ...yada yada yada...

I ripped out our garbage disposal 39 years 10 months ago (not really
but darn fast)... and at one time one of the children (I will not tell
you "HIS" name.. had a ball flushing everything down the toilet whcih
created a problem... But other then that... No problems at all...

when he children were little the tank had to be pumped about every
6-7years...afte that the tank has lasted at least 10 years between
pumping.. just make sure you know exactly where it is and how deep the
opening is.....

Never added anything to the tank to increase its effeciency...
Septic tanks(most anyway) are not any real source of concern..to me

Bob G...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

1500 is minimum anywhere I believe. I don't think they come any smaller.
The bigger the better.

--
Steve Barker

"deviL doG" wrote in message
et...

et...

Septic Tank smell Hank Home Repair 3 November 26th 05 04:44 AM
How necessary is septic tank pumping? Treatment? Doc Home Ownership 12 September 7th 05 08:59 PM
Roots in septic tank don h Home Repair 7 April 17th 05 12:00 AM
water over septic tank weeG Home Repair 12 June 27th 04 07:55 PM
Septic Tank, should it be filled with water? Colbyt Home Repair 2 July 2nd 03 03:52 PM