Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank

Default Septic Tank smell

Have a septic tank system about 3 years old. Occasionally we
notice a very strong sew smell on our back deck. It does seem to only
occur when the wind is dead calm and temperature is very low just
below freezing. There is a vent stack coming out the roof in the area
with the strongest smell. It is also located on a lower portion of
the roof near where the house has a next floor so stack is kind of in
a closed in area where little wind would get to it to dispurse the
smell. I am assuming what is happening is the warm air in the septic
tank expands up the stack. Once in the cold air it cool and desends
to the deck. Anyway to check out the source and what would be a
possible correction to eliminate this smell?

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Hank" wrote in message
Have a septic tank system about 3 years old. Occasionally we
notice a very strong sew smell on our back deck. It does seem to only
occur when the wind is dead calm and temperature is very low just
below freezing. There is a vent stack coming out the roof in the area
with the strongest smell. It is also located on a lower portion of
the roof near where the house has a next floor so stack is kind of in
a closed in area where little wind would get to it to dispurse the
smell. I am assuming what is happening is the warm air in the septic
tank expands up the stack. Once in the cold air it cool and desends
to the deck. Anyway to check out the source and what would be a
possible correction to eliminate this smell?

Introduce your wife to Massengill.......

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

I think the best solution would be to extend the stack upward as high as
feasible. There are code provisions for stacks in areas like this subject to
downdrafts that require adequate distance from the higher area and adequate
height above the roof.
Don Young
"Hank" wrote in message
Have a septic tank system about 3 years old. Occasionally we
notice a very strong sew smell on our back deck. It does seem to only
occur when the wind is dead calm and temperature is very low just
below freezing. There is a vent stack coming out the roof in the area
with the strongest smell. It is also located on a lower portion of
the roof near where the house has a next floor so stack is kind of in
a closed in area where little wind would get to it to dispurse the
smell. I am assuming what is happening is the warm air in the septic
tank expands up the stack. Once in the cold air it cool and desends
to the deck. Anyway to check out the source and what would be a
possible correction to eliminate this smell?

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank

Thanks for your responce. Will try extension of the stack
when weather is better.
Thanks again

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:07:37 -0600, "Don Young"
wrote:

I think the best solution would be to extend the stack upward as high as
feasible. There are code provisions for stacks in areas like this subject to
downdrafts that require adequate distance from the higher area and adequate
height above the roof.
Don Young
"Hank" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

how septic systems work? mike Home Repair 17 November 4th 05 03:23 AM
septic problem gnb Home Repair 27 April 4th 05 01:53 PM
cheap water tank needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 10th 05 12:22 PM
Septic Tank and Surface water [email protected] UK diy 5 February 15th 05 03:26 PM
water over septic tank weeG Home Repair 12 June 27th 04 07:55 PM