Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

Default Septic Tank smell

"Hank" wrote in message
Have a septic tank system about 3 years old. Occasionally we
notice a very strong sew smell on our back deck. It does seem to only
occur when the wind is dead calm and temperature is very low just
below freezing. There is a vent stack coming out the roof in the area
with the strongest smell. It is also located on a lower portion of
the roof near where the house has a next floor so stack is kind of in
a closed in area where little wind would get to it to dispurse the
smell. I am assuming what is happening is the warm air in the septic
tank expands up the stack. Once in the cold air it cool and desends
to the deck. Anyway to check out the source and what would be a
possible correction to eliminate this smell?

Introduce your wife to Massengill.......