Default Septic Tank and Surface water

I've always been led to believe that surface water should never be
drained to a septic tank on the grounds that it flushes the tank
through too fast - is that wrong or has the policy on this changed in
recent years ?

We're all on septic tanks where I live and I'm surprised to see that
the drains for an extension my neighbours are having built are all
being run into the same pipe. I'm particularly interested as I'm going
to have to re-do some of my down pipes shortly and running them into
the drain from the bathroom would be much easier than re-establishing a
soak-away.

Rob

Peter Crosland

Only foul drains should be connected to the septic tank. If you need to
construct a new soakaway don't forget to get permission.

Peter Crosland

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've always been led to believe that surface water should never be
drained to a septic tank on the grounds that it flushes the tank
through too fast - is that wrong

NO !

or has the policy on this changed in recent years ?

NO !!!!!!!!!!!

We're all on septic tanks where I live and I'm surprised to see that
the drains for an extension my neighbours are having built are all
being run into the same pipe.

I really hope you are wrong.

I'm particularly interested as I'm going
to have to re-do some of my down pipes shortly and running them into
the drain from the bathroom would be much easier than re-establishing a
soak-away.

You need a soak-away.

zaax

In article , Peter Crosland
writes
Only foul drains should be connected to the septic tank. If you need to
construct a new soakaway don't forget to get permission.

Peter Crosland

Why can't surface water drains be connected it's only a tank after all.
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:41:54 +0000, zaax
wrote:

Why can't surface water drains be connected it's only a tank after all.

A septic tank relies on a minimum holding time to let the bacteria do
their bit. More water into it means less time spent in there before
the outlet gets pumped / flows over the weir. If you start directing
a whole roof's worth of rain in there, then that can be several times
the capacity and you really do start to get carry over.

If the yank gets smelly in wet weather, you have a problem with this.
--
Smert' spamionam

Peter Scott

wrote:

Why can't surface water drains be connected it's only a tank after all.

A septic tank relies on a minimum holding time to let the bacteria do
their bit. More water into it means less time spent in there before
the outlet gets pumped / flows over the weir. If you start directing
a whole roof's worth of rain in there, then that can be several times
the capacity and you really do start to get carry over.

If the yank gets smelly in wet weather, you have a problem with this.

You'll also flood your soakaway if you have one. Surface water can be
drained into a watercourse but foul water can't.

Peter Scott