Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default septic tank

On Feb 18, 8:29*am, leedsbob wrote:
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

It does depend on the size of the tank. If it is a modern one then
you do have to be careful, but the older ones (in my case 1930's) are
so big that the amount of bleach and the likes is well diluted by
everything else. I don't think in 35 years we've ever paid any
attention to 'being careful' and we've never had any bother - apart
from when the outlet into a 1930's clay field drain blocked; that
wasn't quite so pleasant.

Rob