Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood burning stove - anyone any experience of Country Kiln?

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:31:35 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Whatever the stove, I find it very hard to believe that you get no heat
from
it unless you have the door open.

I've got one of them - utter crap, it is.

Which model?

Not one of the Country Kiln or whatever, but one that exhibits the
behaviour complained about. There's a grudging heat thrown out, but
more than four feet from it, you'd never know it was on. Otoh, it does
heat the back boiler quite well and even runs three smallish rads and
the hot cyl to a tolerable degree.
Tis the kind of stove that, even though it's likely forty years old,
is perfectly suited to a modern well-insulated house. I bet the
designers never knew they were being so prescient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Whatever the stove, I find it very hard to believe that you get no heat
from
it unless you have the door open.

I've got one of them - utter crap, it is.

Which model?

Not one of the Country Kiln or whatever, but one that exhibits the
behaviour complained about. There's a grudging heat thrown out, but
more than four feet from it, you'd never know it was on. Otoh, it does
heat the back boiler quite well and even runs three smallish rads and
the hot cyl to a tolerable degree.
Tis the kind of stove that, even though it's likely forty years old,
is perfectly suited to a modern well-insulated house. I bet the
designers never knew they were being so prescient.

ah the old "built in boiler sucking all the heat out" problem unless
you stoke it to F... all day/night....

would be stovees would do well to take note...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 05:18:08 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

There's a grudging heat thrown out, but more than four feet from

it,
you'd never know it was on.

Stoves don't heat by radiation very much it's mostly convection.

ah the old "built in boiler sucking all the heat out" problem unless
you stoke it to F... all day/night....

would be stovees would do well to take note...

Deliberate choice with our stove (Stovax Stockton 11) a normal sized
living room doesn't need more than a few of kW to keep it warm so we
choose a stove with 3kW to room and 7kW to water. Seems to give about
the right amount of heat to the room and a goodly amount to the
thermal store for CH and DHW.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 2:15 pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 05:18:08 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:
There's a grudging heat thrown out, but more than four feet from

it,
you'd never know it was on.

Stoves don't heat by radiation very much it's mostly convection.

ah the old "built in boiler sucking all the heat out" problem unless
you stoke it to F... all day/night....

would be stovees would do well to take note...

Deliberate choice with our stove (Stovax Stockton 11) a normal sized
living room doesn't need more than a few of kW to keep it warm so we
choose a stove with 3kW to room and 7kW to water. Seems to give about
the right amount of heat to the room and a goodly amount to the
thermal store for CH and DHW.

at least that's something to offset against the OTT cost of your flue
I spose ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 9, 11:57*am, "Tim Downie" wrote:
Howard Neil wrote:
On 09/02/2012 11:29, Tim Downie wrote:

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
news On 09/02/2012 11:08, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Howard Neil" wrote in message
news:M5idnakXdPzbC67SnZ2dnUVZ8jCdnZ2d@brightvi ew.co.uk...
On 09/02/2012 09:37, Jim K wrote:
On Feb 8, 10:30 pm, "David WE
wrote:
wrote in message
snip

I think we may have the sellers of this stove and maybe a
competitor posting. In other words this thread may be an
advertising campaign. Anybody thinking of buying one would be
well advised to visit the company first as well as making a call
to the local Trading Standards to see what they know.

I asume you mean 'Leaky' when referring to the possible seller.
Could you tell me how you reached that conclusion?

Thanks

Dave R

The language used and the way the postings have run. I have seen it
before, frequently. Start a thread pretending to ask for advice and
later have a posting made pretending to be from a very satisfied
customer.

To be fair, that happens quite a lot with legitimate queries and
replies so I don't think you can pin too much on it.

Tim

It is enough to be suspicious and to tread carefully.

From a new poster to the group maybe. *Not when it's by a newsgroup regular.

Tim- Hide quoted text -

You ask why the Country Kiln 6 is 299 and find this suspicious. I am
Sue, a design engineer with Country Kiln and very political. A few
years back, when the recession hit, I was hearing a lot of pain coming
over the phone. Men not working, installers, sweeps, couriers. So my
solution to that, being as I am responsible for keeping people in
employment in the UK, because I had the capability and foresight and
didn`t like the suffering I was hearing was, to drop the price to rock
bottom, not for profit in my business but so all the businesses linked
with mine, the couriers, sweeps, installers get a spin off, keep
working in the bad season, the season where everyone has overspent.
It`s a model I like poltically and economically. So yes the stove is
at rock bottom, but it isn`t suspicious. It`s because there are people
kept employed in the background, off the back of these "advertised
deals".

Others in thisw forum seem to think one of our customers is writing on
our behalf which isn`t the case. It is someone real and happy with
their stove.

An author of a defamatory and totally illegal and outrageous email
writes regarding the installation of his stove "They cut a hole" "they
did this and they did that" as if we, at Country Kiln go out and
install which we don`t, we have lists of installers nationwide who
work self employed. We pass installers numbers on and customers are
aware even from the website these guys are self employed. We give ball
park quotes which the installers then meet. We don`t become involved
in financial transactions between fitters and stove customers. Shops
who do take 1000 on top of the fitters wage for the introduction.

Our only involvement was to sell this man a stove and give him 3 phone
numbers to local installers to see which one wanted the work.

This bloke also lays into me for my appearance. I don`t actually
possess a pair of jogging bottoms, nor have I actually been working
for the past 4 months for health reasons so I would suggest I should
be able to pop in and out the office which is next to my home dressed
casually if I so choose. However, we are based on a working farm and I
am an engineer expected to get dirty at any given point in time so,
for me, business suits are out.

What the writer of the email describes as a wooden shed at the back of
our house is a large architect designed chalet which we use for admin
as part of our multi national operation. We have one pot hole in our
driveway. Well we are on a working farm. Do you know that members of
the public come here and behave so badly, driving over our lawn etc we
have actually had to build a dry stone wall round our lawn as a
traffic guide. Now they concentrate on crashing into the patio
arrangement at the front of the chalet.

We have known all our nationwide installers on our books for numerous
years and can not imagine why any one of them would risk their
livelihood. We find from Wick to Kent they are a bunch of hard working
men.

Yes the Royals have bought stoves from us, or we would not claim they
had. Princess Anne bought two, Charles has one and I think Andrew has
one also.

This is the first time I have posted on this forum. I see people here
struggling with various aspects of installation which are easy for me
to answer as an engineer so if anyone wishes quick answers to
questions which are second nature to me drop me a line on
where I shall glady help, most
certainly not be dressed to the nines and possibly be covered in soot
as I type.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2012 19:55, CountryKiln wrote:

This is the first time I have posted on this forum.

Looks like the third time so far :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CountryKiln wrote:

This is the first time I have posted on this forum.

I make it the fifth actually
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 8:25 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
CountryKiln wrote:
This is the first time I have posted on this forum.

I make it the fifth actually

more fuel to the fire? ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 7:55 pm, CountryKiln wrote:
snip pointless frosty riposte

OK then, so when you say on your website that you 'manufacture' what
exactly do you mean ("as an engineer" if necessary)?

Yes the Royals have bought stoves from us, or we would not claim they
had. Princess Anne bought two, Charles has one and I think Andrew has
one also.

you think?

This is the first time I have posted on this forum. I see people here
struggling with various aspects of installation which are easy for me
to answer as an engineer so if anyone wishes quick answers to
questions which are second nature to me drop me a line on
where I shall glady help, most
certainly not be dressed to the nines and possibly be covered in soot
as I type.

this thread is not big or difficult and in this NG there are many well
versed and experienced in what you proclaim to be some sort of expert
at .....

- so come on earn your spurs and help those "struggling with various
aspects of installation which are easy for me to answer as an
engineer" by proferring your "solutions" in public under our critical
supervision.... this surely will either expose you or make you
depending?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2012 20:41, Jim K wrote:

[...]

The man's right. If you put a bit of effort in and answer questions
related to your expertise well, people here will respect you.

You'll probably get the **** taken if you do things like post the same
thing four times, but if you can sort that out, post sensible advice, do
so succinctly and at appropriate times, you may well gain some customers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 05:18:08 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:
There's a grudging heat thrown out, but more than four feet from

it,
you'd never know it was on.

Stoves don't heat by radiation very much it's mostly convection.

ah the old "built in boiler sucking all the heat out" problem unless
you stoke it to F... all day/night....

would be stovees would do well to take note...

Deliberate choice with our stove (Stovax Stockton 11) a normal sized
living room doesn't need more than a few of kW to keep it warm so we
choose a stove with 3kW to room and 7kW to water. Seems to give about
the right amount of heat to the room and a goodly amount to the
thermal store for CH and DHW.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I was a bit surprised at the previous comments about a back-boilered
stove not heating the room. We've a 25 year old Woodwarm and it's
balance must be about the same as Dave's as we get perfectly adequate
heat to the room and to the DHW. The back boiler runs into a Dunsley
Neutraliser along with the oil burner so that the CH can be from
either.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

but seriously how often have you run the CH from the stove?

e.g. what's the oil burner rated at? vs the stove's wet output figure/
claim?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

my back boiler Villager is busy heating the bedroom. Sadly not the water
as it wasn't worth re-integrating it into the plumbing.

Ao I left that disconnected.

Fully capable of keeping a 30 sq meter room at 22C or more even in this
weather...in fact its a bit TOO hot and we have to let it go out after
midnight,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

decent stove will pump about 3KW to 5KW into CH system. Not enough for
this weather, but better than sod all.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 7:55*pm, CountryKiln wrote:

Yes the Royals have bought stoves from us, or we would not claim they
had. Princess Anne bought two

Well I've just contacted Clarence House and asked Princess Anne if she
does, in fact, have two stoves. This is what she said:

"No, I've only got one. I've had one for some time, but a few years
ago I said I was thinking of getting another, and since then some
people have called me 'Two Stoves'".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:08:16 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

but seriously how often have you run the CH from the stove?

Here when ever it's on as it's plumbed into the thermal store.

e.g. what's the oil burner rated at? vs the stove's wet output

figure/
claim?

Our oil burner is 38kW IIRC but has a smaller jet than spec so maybe
only 35kW. The stove spec is 7kW to water.

decent stove will pump about 3KW to 5KW into CH system. Not enough for
this weather, but better than sod all.

See above, when the stove is on the oil boiler doesn't come on
anything like as often (if at all) as it does when the stove isn't
on. The oil burner is oversized now we have better insulation on the
walls and more windows replaced. It used to struggle keeping the
place warm with a bizzard (true meaning of the word) rageing outside.
But remember 7kW nonstop is the same as 35kW for 12mins of the hour.
We are certainly using less oil.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have had a country kiln cast stove model 1 5kw for the last 5years it's on most days,and has been one of the strongest stoves I've owned,I have had Franco Belge cast enamelled,and Tripp stoves they have fell apart ,despite burning kinder coals that are not petroleum based,with a multi fuel stove price is not a guarantee of quality,the country kiln 1 stove I have has been excellent ,and I would recommend,,mr Pritchard Herefordshire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 February 2012 17:26:26 UTC, David WE Roberts wrote:
http://www.woodburningstoveslimited....ils&itemid=219

The Country Kiln cast iron stove at 299 + 35 delivery seems amazingly
cheap for an 8kW stove.

A 2 door 8kW Stovax Stockton (which we know to be a good brand) is around
800 including delivery which is a lot more.

However saving over 450 is not worthwhile if the product is crap.

So does anyone have any experience of Country Kiln stoves?

Cheers

Dave R

You would do better to get a room sealed stove.
ie, combustion air is drawn from outside directly into the stove not cold air drawn into the room as per traditional stoves.
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/external-air-stove.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 10:13:42 -0700, harry wrote:

On Wednesday, 8 February 2012 17:26:26 UTC, David WE Roberts wrote:
http://www.woodburningstoveslimited.com/index.php?

action=cms.details&itemid=219

The Country Kiln cast iron stove at £299 + £35 delivery seems amazingly
cheap for an 8kW stove.

A 2 door 8kW Stovax Stockton (which we know to be a good brand) is
around £800 including delivery which is a lot more.

However saving over £450 is not worthwhile if the product is crap.

So does anyone have any experience of Country Kiln stoves?

Cheers

Dave R

You would do better to get a room sealed stove.
ie, combustion air is drawn from outside directly into the stove not
cold air drawn into the room as per traditional stoves.
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/external-air-stove.html

Wonderful advice and only four years (plus a month) too late.
--
Windows 8.1 on PCSpecialist box
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought a 7kW Country Kiln multi fuel stove about 7/8 years ago.
After about 3 years use, the fire backplate cracked. I repaired it with a thin steel sheet fixed behind the backplate with 3 small screws. Thinking the stove was on its way out I ordered another similar one as a spare, ready to fit if needed.
It is still in my garage because the original is still going strong.
This morning I noticed a small crack in the grate and phoned for a replacement. The man I spoke to was very helpful. He said if I was only burning wood then I could safely do away with the grate. If I am burning coal (which I am) then get a steel plate made locally and perforate it with ½ holes. A cheap and practical answer Thank you.
Replace the rope door seals whenever you notice a difference in the type of flame and the stove will serve you well.
Five stars Country Kiln.
Garth

Wood burning stove johno UK diy 16 December 10th 09 03:11 PM
Do I need to put out wood burning stove? spj_uk Home Ownership 2 October 30th 06 03:46 PM
wood burning stove John Kelly UK diy 7 October 13th 06 03:01 PM
wood burning stove [email protected] UK diy 2 April 24th 05 05:28 AM
Wood burning stove Martin Carroll UK diy 4 October 12th 03 08:44 PM