Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wood burning stove

We're about to put in a wood burning stove. We have a modern house with
a crap chimney so it'll need to be lined. Will we need some kind of
airbrick anywhere and where would be best to put it if we do?

We also need cavity wall insulation doing at some point as we found out
it hasn't got any when we had the extension built despite it being on
the original house builders info (from 20 years ago).

Any advice folks?

Thanks

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Kelly contains these words:

Any advice folks?

Are you in a smokeless zone?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
We're about to put in a wood burning stove. We have a modern house with
a crap chimney so it'll need to be lined. Will we need some kind of
airbrick anywhere and where would be best to put it if we do?

You will need some form of ventilation. The nearer to the fire it is the
less draughts there well be. If you have a ventilated underfloor space
consider a grille in the hearth going onto it. This is mandatory from
building control point of view. Its size can be ascertained by looking
into the relevant building regulations.

We also need cavity wall insulation doing at some point as we found out
it hasn't got any when we had the extension built despite it being on
the original house builders info (from 20 years ago).

That is a statement, not a question...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:41:18 +0100, John Kelly
wrote:

Will we need some kind of
airbrick anywhere and where would be best to put it if we do?

You'll need to check this with building regs but I think you only need
a dedicated air supply if thermal output exceeds 5kW. It will be worth
downloading part J for the details of distances from other objects and
flue requirements.

Pretty hard to have a stove that WON'T do 5Kw.

I'd day our open fires peak at about 50Kw or more, and our woodburner
about 10-20KW.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

a crap chimney so it'll need to be lined. Will we need some kind of
airbrick anywhere and where would be best to put it if we do?

You will need some form of ventilation. The nearer to the fire it is the
less draughts there well be. If you have a ventilated underfloor space
consider a grille in the hearth going onto it. This is mandatory from
building control point of view. Its size can be ascertained by looking
into the relevant building regulations.

I read the OP's question as does the *chimney* require ventilation for
drying purposes not the room for combustion purposes.
The chimney will be sealed with plates top and bottom but there will be a
source of heat that may be enough to force dry it.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

visionset wrote:

a crap chimney so it'll need to be lined. Will we need some kind of
airbrick anywhere and where would be best to put it if we do?

You will need some form of ventilation. The nearer to the fire it is the
less draughts there well be. If you have a ventilated underfloor space
consider a grille in the hearth going onto it. This is mandatory from
building control point of view. Its size can be ascertained by looking
into the relevant building regulations.

I read the OP's question as does the *chimney* require ventilation for
drying purposes not the room for combustion purposes.
The chimney will be sealed with plates top and bottom but there will be a
source of heat that may be enough to force dry it.

I've never heard of ventilating an active chimney.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 00:11:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Pretty hard to have a stove that WON'T do 5Kw.

I think the little Jotul 602 that heats this house if 5kW

Anyway once you exceed that you need 550mm^2 of dedicated air supply
per additional kW. In the pass there was a provision for supplying
some of this by infiltration air but I suppose draught proofing means
that isn't allowed now,

I'd day our open fires peak at about 50Kw or more,

That's an interesting one because part J only caters for solid fuel
fires up to 50kW. The requirement for air supplies for such a device
could make such a fireplace very draughty.

Oh, it is. We have a couple of 9" square gratings in it, going to 4"
pipes to the underfloor cavity. However the two fires in question are
seldom both lit and the room is open plan ish with a central chimney and
the fires are back to back, and the rooms are not sealed from her rooms..

I guess the direct ventilation is about 15,000 mm^2

So enough for about 8KW 'by the rules'

or 11KW if one fire only is lit.

In practice they work well and draughts are confined just to the area
around the fire base. And when I say 'peak' I men 'peak. I.e. thats what
happens when you get a lot of wood just dry enough and it all goes up
fairly fast. In practice its usually around 3-5KW.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kelly wrote:
We're about to put in a wood burning stove. We have a modern house
with a crap chimney so it'll need to be lined. Will we need some kind
of airbrick anywhere and where would be best to put it if we do?

You will need some form of ventilation. The nearer to the fire it is the
less draughts there well be. If you have a ventilated underfloor space
consider a grille in the hearth going onto it. This is mandatory from
building control point of view. Its size can be ascertained by looking
into the relevant building regulations.

Tanks - I'm hoping the peopel installing it will be able to give us some
ideas on where to put it but if I'm prepared before hand then at least I
can ask the right questions

We also need cavity wall insulation doing at some point as we found
out it hasn't got any when we had the extension built despite it being
on the original house builders info (from 20 years ago).

That is a statement, not a question...

Damn - you're right - foiled again :-) Actually I've forgotten what I
was going to say now. I've been reading another thread on CWI and I
think it's answered all my questions anyway.