Default wood burning stove

Has anyone had success installing a woodburning stove in a 1960's
bungalow fireplace. I did it last year and although not burning
wonderful it was far better than the open fire. Now it tends to spoke
more with the odd puff coming out through the air vents.
As the fireplace only had a 4 inch wide gap by 14 inches long and the
flue from the stoove was six inches I made a stainless adapter so that
the 6 inch flu goes into two four inch flues.
Any ideas please to improve it.

Thanks

Smokeyone

PS No blockage in the chimney.

andrewpreece

wrote in message
ps.com...
Has anyone had success installing a woodburning stove in a 1960's
bungalow fireplace. I did it last year and although not burning
wonderful it was far better than the open fire. Now it tends to spoke
more with the odd puff coming out through the air vents.
As the fireplace only had a 4 inch wide gap by 14 inches long and the
flue from the stoove was six inches I made a stainless adapter so that
the 6 inch flu goes into two four inch flues.
Any ideas please to improve it.

Thanks

Smokeyone

PS No blockage in the chimney.

Several things: there is an optimum ratio of fire inlet size to flue size
( areas and if you stray too far from it ( i.e. the flue is small and the
frontal inlet area of the fire is large ), you will get problems. Offhand
I do not have the exact figure for that ratio, I'm sure you can find it out
if you want to. Second, alot of these fires require a class A flue, which I
believe is at least 16 feet high. The positioning of your chimney may affect
the fir, as really your chimney needs to exit well above the roofline. If it
emerges
off centre on your roof and below the highest point of your roof, that can
cause problems.

Other things to look at are downdraughts, caused by gusts or eddies of air
spilling off nearby obstructions: to counteract them various chimney pots
with baffles or complicated H shapes are available. Also, I hear
differential pressure from one side of a house to another ( think prevailing
wind raising pressure on one side and creating low pressure on the other )
can cause problems if you have a window or vent open on the low-pressure (
leeward ) side.

Andy.

Thanks very much for all the info. I'll look into all the points you
mentioned. Just off hand the chimney is on the roof centre line, around
20 feet up I would guess. However the chimney top is only about two
feet above the centre line.

Smokeyone