Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A clueless woman

She lost her gold wedding ring today whilst decorating and it went down a
gap in the floorboards.

Her husband was at work and phoned me to retrieve it. I lifted the
floorboard and could see the ring but I could not reach it with my arm.

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies "I'll
bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2012 18:57, ARWadsworth wrote:
She lost her gold wedding ring today whilst decorating and it went down a
gap in the floorboards.

Her husband was at work and phoned me to retrieve it. I lifted the
floorboard and could see the ring but I could not reach it with my arm.

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies "I'll
bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

Did you tell her it must be gold plate? :-)

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 6:57*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
She lost her gold wedding ring today whilst decorating and it went down a
gap in the floorboards.

Her husband was at work and phoned me to retrieve it. I lifted the
floorboard and could see the ring but I could not reach it with my arm.

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies "I'll
bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

--
Adam

Perhaps all her other "gold" jewellery *is* magnetic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2012 18:57, ARWadsworth wrote:
She lost her gold wedding ring today whilst decorating and it went down a
gap in the floorboards.

Her husband was at work and phoned me to retrieve it. I lifted the
floorboard and could see the ring but I could not reach it with my arm.

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies "I'll
bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

"Your husband asked me to come round and sort you out. I have just the
thing in my trousers to get that, but I'll need to get it wet first."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
She lost her gold wedding ring today whilst decorating and it went down a
gap in the floorboards.

Her husband was at work and phoned me to retrieve it. I lifted the
floorboard and could see the ring but I could not reach it with my arm.

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies
"I'll bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

--
Adam

But you depend on such people for your employment!
Be thankful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 6:57*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
She lost her gold wedding ring today whilst decorating and it went down a
gap in the floorboards.

Her husband was at work and phoned me to retrieve it. I lifted the
floorboard and could see the ring but I could not reach it with my arm.

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies "I'll
bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

Hope she wasnt; watching me as I've used those magnetic sticks to pick
up things that aren;t magnetic.
As it's a convinent tool and I usually know where it is ( well 50/50)
I use it for all sorts of things, I just attach either double sided
tape
to the end or sometimes blu-tak, doubled over masking tape, it's
useful for picking up dropped cable ties even paper slipped behind
filling cabinets.
I'd certainly use it on a Gold ring. :-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:57:58 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies "I'll
bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

You'd think that she might have sussed that her ring isn't gold, then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies
"I'll
bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

You'd think that she might have sussed that her ring isn't gold, then.

She was going to laugh at ARW when the ring didn't stick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 7:58*pm, Old Codger wrote:
On 23/01/2012 18:57, ARWadsworth wrote: She lost her gold wedding ring today whilst decorating and it went down a
gap in the floorboards.

Her husband was at work and phoned me to retrieve it. I lifted the
floorboard and could see the ring but I could not reach it with my arm.

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she relpies "I'll
bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

Did you tell her it must be gold plate? *:-)

Maybe he had one of these in the van: an eddy-current maagnet will
lift any metal.

http://www.nipponmagnetics.com/eddy-...ication-6.html

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she
relpies "I'll
bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used before"

You'd think that she might have sussed that her ring isn't gold,
then.

She was going to laugh at ARW when the ring didn't stick.

And I suppose gold is magnetic on dennisworld. Everything else is opposite
so why not?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
On Jan 23, 7:58 pm, Old Codger wrote:
On 23/01/2012 18:57, ARWadsworth wrote: She lost her gold wedding
ring today whilst decorating and it went down a
gap in the floorboards.

Her husband was at work and phoned me to retrieve it. I lifted the
floorboard and could see the ring but I could not reach it with my
arm.

I said "I have just the thing in the van to get that" and she
relpies "I'll bet it's a magnet on a stick, I've seen them used
before"

Did you tell her it must be gold plate? :-)

Maybe he had one of these in the van: an eddy-current maagnet will
lift any metal.

http://www.nipponmagnetics.com/eddy-...ication-6.html

Nothing that clever I am afraid. I used a stick with a hook on the end:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Nothing that clever I am afraid. I used a stick with a hook on the end:-)

I've got a long (approx 1mtr) pearl grabber which I bought at the local
market. It's semi flexible - like a drain clearing rod - and quite handy
for things like this.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2012-01-25, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Nothing that clever I am afraid. I used a stick with a hook on the end:-)

I've got a long (approx 1mtr) pearl grabber which I bought at the local
market. It's semi flexible - like a drain clearing rod - and quite handy
for things like this.

I have my Stick of Getting Things, which is a piece of bamboo cane with
a hook on one end a magnet from a disk drive on the other.

I have my device for retrieving cameras dropped from the bridge into our
river by careless tourists...

3' of murky moving water is visually impenetrable.

A length of rainwater downpipe with a circular glass window sealed to
the end with insulating tape. A short length of stiff wire formed into a
hook visible through the glass completes:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
In message , Huge
writes
On 2012-01-25, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Nothing that clever I am afraid. I used a stick with a hook on the end:-)

I've got a long (approx 1mtr) pearl grabber which I bought at the local
market. It's semi flexible - like a drain clearing rod - and quite handy
for things like this.

I have my Stick of Getting Things, which is a piece of bamboo cane with
a hook on one end a magnet from a disk drive on the other.

I have my device for retrieving cameras dropped from the bridge into our
river by careless tourists...

3' of murky moving water is visually impenetrable.

A length of rainwater downpipe with a circular glass window sealed to
the end with insulating tape. A short length of stiff wire formed into a
hook visible through the glass completes:-)

Neat, but are the cameras actually worth retrieving? I suppose people
want the memory cards back?

River Lea water, probably not:-) The original was made for a 35mm reflex
job. The plan was to rinse with distilled water but they didn't come
back with an update.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2012 12:09, Huge wrote:
I've known Nikonos's recovered with distilled water/isopropyl alcohol, but
that's from seawater. Probably better off claiming on the insurance.

(Thinks; Where *is* my Nikonos?)

Isn't a Nikonos an underwater camera and therefore meant to be submerged?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2012 14:56, Huge wrote:
Isn't a Nikonos an underwater camera

Yes.

and therefore meant to be submerged?

Sometimes they leak.

Besides which you still can't see them at the bottom of the river...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 26/01/2012 14:56, Huge wrote:
Isn't a Nikonos an underwater camera

Yes.

and therefore meant to be submerged?

Sometimes they leak.

Besides which you still can't see them at the bottom of the river...

Ah! You can if they are still the-)

Firstly immersing the glass cuts out problems with surface reflection
and ripples. Second, water does not penetrate the tube so you reduce the
amount of water you are trying to see through.

regards

--
Tim Lamb