Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need a neutral to a light switch

I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.
The 1-way, 1-gang switch is in a convenient position (! - had to happen
eventually) but there's no neutral.
I'll replace the switch with a 2-way 2-gang plate and wire the new light
into that.
Would it be OK to replace the switch cable from the existing ceiling rose
with flat 3 & E and use one of the wires as N, suitably marked of course?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 5:34*pm, PeterC wrote:
I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.
The 1-way, 1-gang switch is in a convenient position (! - had to happen
eventually) but there's no neutral.
I'll replace the switch with a 2-way 2-gang plate and wire the new light
into that.
Would it be OK to replace the switch cable from the existing ceiling rose
with flat 3 & E and use one of the wires as N, suitably marked of course?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

Why would you need a neutral at the light switch?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Dec 26, 5:34 pm, PeterC wrote:
I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.
The 1-way, 1-gang switch is in a convenient position (! - had to
happen eventually) but there's no neutral.
I'll replace the switch with a 2-way 2-gang plate and wire the new
light into that.
Would it be OK to replace the switch cable from the existing ceiling
rose with flat 3 & E and use one of the wires as N, suitably marked
of course? --
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

Why would you need a neutral at the light switch?

To provide a neutral for the new light fitting?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 5:34*pm, PeterC wrote:
I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.
The 1-way, 1-gang switch is in a convenient position (! - had to happen
eventually) but there's no neutral.
I'll replace the switch with a 2-way 2-gang plate and wire the new light
into that.
Would it be OK to replace the switch cable from the existing ceiling rose
with flat 3 & E and use one of the wires as N, suitably marked of course?

Yes, its normal practice. It beats using an enormous pith ball.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 5:34*pm, PeterC wrote:
I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.
The 1-way, 1-gang switch is in a convenient position (! - had to happen
eventually) but there's no neutral.
I'll replace the switch with a 2-way 2-gang plate and wire the new light
into that.
Would it be OK to replace the switch cable from the existing ceiling rose
with flat 3 & E and use one of the wires as N, suitably marked of course?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

Or if it's easier, just run an extra single blue (6181y double
insulated)
http://www.meteorelectrical.com/cabl...00m-coils.html

You could run it via the light switch, or just directly to the new
light fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:23:19 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.

Why would you need a neutral at the light switch?

To provide a neutral for the new light fitting?

I'm struggling to understand what is different about the fitting that
it requires a neutral. Don't all fittings require a neutral? How do
those that don't, work?

I suspect it has just two terminals marked L and N and the OP has got
confused. Fitting are not normally marked at all.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 10:13*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:23:19 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:
I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.

Why would you need a neutral at the light switch?

To provide a neutral for the new light fitting?

I'm struggling to understand what is different about the fitting that
it requires a neutral. Don't all fittings require a neutral? How do
those that don't, work?

I suspect it has just two terminals marked L and N and the OP has got
confused. Fitting are not normally marked at all.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes, I agree - and to go one further I would say that if the OP really
doesn't understand about wiring lights and their associated switches,
then he shouldn't be doing it.

I did think of extending this comment to say how it should be done,
but that lays me open to the legal responsibility of the OP
misinterpreting the guidance.
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2011 22:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:23:19 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.

Why would you need a neutral at the light switch?

To provide a neutral for the new light fitting?

I'm struggling to understand what is different about the fitting that
it requires a neutral. Don't all fittings require a neutral? How do
those that don't, work?

I suspect it has just two terminals marked L and N and the OP has got
confused. Fitting are not normally marked at all.

a light fitting will need a neutral, a light switch won't unless it has
a neon indicator or suchlike.
Nevertheless, a neutral may well pass through the switch back-box on the
way to the fitting.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:32:59 +0000, Graham. wrote:

On 26/12/2011 22:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:23:19 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.

Why would you need a neutral at the light switch?

To provide a neutral for the new light fitting?

I'm struggling to understand what is different about the fitting that
it requires a neutral. Don't all fittings require a neutral? How do
those that don't, work?

I suspect it has just two terminals marked L and N and the OP has got
confused. Fitting are not normally marked at all.

a light fitting will need a neutral, a light switch won't unless it has
a neon indicator or suchlike.
Nevertheless, a neutral may well pass through the switch back-box on the
way to the fitting.

Pecisely! This fitting, as I said, has 2 wires and is effectively hard wired
(it actually has a lead of about 2m with a plug for the fitting, so the bare
ends need L & N - simples!).
The nearest N is in the ceiling, so too far away for the supplied lead, but
the lead will reach the switch so passing a N through will do the trick.
All I want to do is get the N to the switch.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:24:15 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

PeterC wrote:
I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.
The 1-way, 1-gang switch is in a convenient position (! - had to
happen eventually) but there's no neutral.
I'll replace the switch with a 2-way 2-gang plate and wire the new
light into that.

Would it be OK to replace the switch cable from the existing ceiling
rose with flat 3 & E and use one of the wires as N, suitably marked
of course?

Yes.

Thank you!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.
The 1-way, 1-gang switch is in a convenient position (! - had to
happen eventually) but there's no neutral.
I'll replace the switch with a 2-way 2-gang plate and wire the new
light into that.

Would it be OK to replace the switch cable from the existing ceiling
rose with flat 3 & E and use one of the wires as N, suitably marked
of course?

Yes.

Thank you!

And good practice is to use the grey wire with blue sleeving as the neutral.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.
The 1-way, 1-gang switch is in a convenient position (! - had to
happen eventually) but there's no neutral.
I'll replace the switch with a 2-way 2-gang plate and wire the new
light into that.

Would it be OK to replace the switch cable from the existing ceiling
rose with flat 3 & E and use one of the wires as N, suitably marked
of course?

Yes.

Thank you!

And good practice is to use the grey wire with blue sleeving as the neutral.

Cheers Adam. I was about to check which it should be but as grey is the
least related to normal wiring colours that did seem logical.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away