Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Need a neutral to a light switch

On Dec 26, 10:13*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:23:19 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:
I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.

Why would you need a neutral at the light switch?

To provide a neutral for the new light fitting?

I'm struggling to understand what is different about the fitting that
it requires a neutral. Don't all fittings require a neutral? How do
those that don't, work?

I suspect it has just two terminals marked L and N and the OP has got
confused. Fitting are not normally marked at all.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes, I agree - and to go one further I would say that if the OP really
doesn't understand about wiring lights and their associated switches,
then he shouldn't be doing it.

I did think of extending this comment to say how it should be done,
but that lays me open to the legal responsibility of the OP
misinterpreting the guidance.
Rob