Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default Need a neutral to a light switch

On 26/12/2011 22:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:23:19 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth.

Why would you need a neutral at the light switch?

To provide a neutral for the new light fitting?

I'm struggling to understand what is different about the fitting that
it requires a neutral. Don't all fittings require a neutral? How do
those that don't, work?

I suspect it has just two terminals marked L and N and the OP has got
confused. Fitting are not normally marked at all.

a light fitting will need a neutral, a light switch won't unless it has
a neon indicator or suchlike.
Nevertheless, a neutral may well pass through the switch back-box on the
way to the fitting.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%