Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PV System advert.

I thought I read somewhere that, due to the Government reducing the
feed-in tariff soon, all available PV installation capacity was taken
up. Or did I mis-interpret that? I have no intention of using it.
But today I received yet another invitation to call for a no-charge
no-commitment consultation. This one from Sunuser, of Leeds, and I am in
East Anglia, so I am really sure to use them as a local supplier. Maybe
I should take them up on it, just to waste their time!
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 22, 12:00 pm, Davey wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that, due to the Government reducing the
feed-in tariff soon, all available PV installation capacity was taken
up. Or did I mis-interpret that? I have no intention of using it.
But today I received yet another invitation to call for a no-charge
no-commitment consultation. This one from Sunuser, of Leeds, and I am in
East Anglia, so I am really sure to use them as a local supplier. Maybe
I should take them up on it, just to waste their time!
--
Davey.

easy money = will travel ?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:00:45 +0000, Davey wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that, due to the Government reducing the
feed-in tariff soon, all available PV installation capacity was taken
up. Or did I mis-interpret that?

The danger is that if they don't reduce the FIT for PV systems they
would have to find more money from somewhere.

But today I received yet another invitation to call for a no-charge
no-commitment consultation.

Got a card with the post this morning "Help reduce our carbon
footprint and be rewarded with FREE electricity and an income of up
to £60,000 for 25 years!"

So many weasel words:

"our carbon footprint". Whose? Society has a whole or this company?

"FREE electricity". Well if you don't count the capital cost...

"income of up to £60,000 for 25 years". "For", doesn't that imply
£60,000/annum for 25 years? Rather than the reality of up to £60,000
*over* 25 years.

They also wanted age group, but only 35-60 and 60+ and number of
occupants in the household. Looking to target the elderly on their
own or just a couple? Also the name of the company "Green Deal Solar"
is trying to link in with the governments "Green Deal" that should
appear next autumn. Based in Paisley so only 130 odd miles away.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:00:45 +0000, Davey wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that, due to the Government reducing the
feed-in tariff soon, all available PV installation capacity was taken
up. Or did I mis-interpret that?

The danger is that if they don't reduce the FIT for PV systems they
would have to find more money from somewhere.

But today I received yet another invitation to call for a no-charge
no-commitment consultation.

Got a card with the post this morning "Help reduce our carbon
footprint and be rewarded with FREE electricity and an income of up
to £60,000 for 25 years!"

Do they make them with defrost heaters to clear snow :-?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:05:23 +0000
fred wrote:

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:00:45 +0000, Davey wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that, due to the Government reducing the
feed-in tariff soon, all available PV installation capacity was
taken up. Or did I mis-interpret that?

The danger is that if they don't reduce the FIT for PV systems they
would have to find more money from somewhere.

But today I received yet another invitation to call for a no-charge
no-commitment consultation.

Got a card with the post this morning "Help reduce our carbon
footprint and be rewarded with FREE electricity and an income of up
to £60,000 for 25 years!"

Do they make them with defrost heaters to clear snow :-?

If they did, they would use 125% of the electricity that they could
produce!
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I had some chinese guy ring me from somewhere in Scotland, honestly,
trying to sell me the idea as well. What is going on, they must be getting
desperate.

Brian

Course they are. Renewable energy is a busted flush, and they have
stocks of ****e that no one wants.

Looking for an idiot near you..harry? How much are your panels doing to
day..harry..don't be like that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I had some chinese guy ring me from somewhere in Scotland,
honestly, trying to sell me the idea as well. What is going on, they
must be getting desperate.

Brian

Course they are. Renewable energy is a busted flush, and they have
stocks of ****e that no one wants.

Quite possibly...

Looking for an idiot near you..harry? How much are your panels doing to
day..harry..don't be like that

No need to be so hard on the poor boy - his one will probably payout ok
at the locked in level of subsidy we are paying him.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 22, 7:10*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I had some chinese guy ring me from somewhere in Scotland, honestly,
trying to sell me the idea as well. What is going on, they must be getting
desperate.

Brian

Course they are. Renewable energy is a busted flush, and they have
stocks of ****e that no one wants.

Looking for an idiot near you..harry? How much are your panels doing to
day..harry..don't be like that

Over the year Harry will do quite nicely thank you. What dont you
understand about seasonal variation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I had some chinese guy ring me from somewhere in Scotland, honestly,
trying to sell me the idea as well. What is going on, they must be getting
desperate.
Brian

Course they are. Renewable energy is a busted flush, and they have
stocks of ****e that no one wants.

Looking for an idiot near you..harry? How much are your panels doing to
day..harry..don't be like that

Over the year Harry will do quite nicely thank you. What dont you
understand about seasonal variation?

less than I understand about what happens to shiny surfaces outside in
the elements ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I had some chinese guy ring me from somewhere in Scotland, honestly,
trying to sell me the idea as well. What is going on, they must be getting
desperate.

Brian

Course they are. Renewable energy is a busted flush, and they have
stocks of ****e that no one wants.

Looking for an idiot near you..harry? How much are your panels doing to
day..harry..don't be like that

Over the year Harry will do quite nicely thank you. What dont you
understand about seasonal variation?

Around £1,500 so far, since 21 April thanks very much for your
concern.
There are some crooks and exaggerations out there mind.
I was looking at a PV advert in the DM yesterday. There was some
definitely dodgy claims in it.
The future of the industry is going to depend on how much installation
costs fall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I had some chinese guy ring me from somewhere in Scotland, honestly,
trying to sell me the idea as well. What is going on, they must be getting
desperate.
Brian
Course they are. Renewable energy is a busted flush, and they have
stocks of ****e that no one wants.

Looking for an idiot near you..harry? How much are your panels doing to
day..harry..don't be like that

Over the year Harry will do quite nicely thank you. What dont you
understand about seasonal variation?

less than I understand about what happens to shiny surfaces outside in
the elements ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Well you have demostrated your ignorance here (in several senses) on
many occasions. The latest in your nasty, vile abuse of those poor
Germans.

PV panels have been around for 40 years to my knowledge.
Glass, for around 2000 years I think. It's characteristics are well
understood.

Well, by most people.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

mmm my glass conservatory roof gets quite "mouldy" over the year -
will the PV panels?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Jim K- Hide quoted text -

No sign so far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

tho tis only really obvious when you are looking out/up......

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:44:11 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

mmm my glass conservatory roof gets quite "mouldy" over the year -
will the PV panels?

Exactly so.

Don't PV panels get quite hot in sunshine, hotter than a glass
conservatory roof I would have thought. Maybe too hot for
algae/lichen/moss to survive on for long?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:44:11 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

mmm my glass conservatory roof gets quite "mouldy" over the year -
will the PV panels?

Exactly so.

Don't PV panels get quite hot in sunshine, hotter than a glass
conservatory roof I would have thought. Maybe too hot for
algae/lichen/moss to survive on for long?

Not hotter than a slate roof..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 11:29*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:44:11 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
mmm my glass conservatory roof gets quite "mouldy" over the year -
will the PV panels?

Exactly so.

Don't PV panels get quite hot in sunshine, hotter than a glass
conservatory roof I would have thought. Maybe too hot for
algae/lichen/moss to survive on for long?

They are running at 7-800volts in strong sunlight, I haven't dared
touch them to find out.
As they are on a bungalow it would not be a great problem to clean
them if they did need it.
Night, torch, water, brush with long handle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

-
will the PV panels?

Exactly so.

Don't PV panels get quite hot in sunshine, hotter than a glass
conservatory roof I would have thought. Maybe too hot for
algae/lichen/moss to survive on for long?

Not hotter than a slate roof..

There is no algae/lichen/moss on the south facing aspect of our slate
roof...

Sheltered spots on the north facing has occasional and small spots of
lichen. And this is natural slate so a compartively rough surface
compared to glass.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:44:11 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
mmm my glass conservatory roof gets quite "mouldy" over the year -
will the PV panels?

Exactly so.

Don't PV panels get quite hot in sunshine, hotter than a glass
conservatory roof I would have thought. Maybe too hot for
algae/lichen/moss to survive on for long?

They are running at 7-800volts in strong sunlight, I haven't dared
touch them to find out.
As they are on a bungalow it would not be a great problem to clean
them if they did need it.
Night, torch, water, brush with long handle.

mmm seems trivial but that didn't work easily or brilliantly on my
conservatory roof.....in the daytime...
It's quite well stuck on - has to be to survive weeks of rain and snow
etc etc

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:44:11 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
mmm my glass conservatory roof gets quite "mouldy" over the year -
will the PV panels?

Exactly so.

Don't PV panels get quite hot in sunshine, hotter than a glass
conservatory roof I would have thought. Maybe too hot for
algae/lichen/moss to survive on for long?

They are running at 7-800volts in strong sunlight, I haven't dared
touch them to find out.
As they are on a bungalow it would not be a great problem to clean
them if they did need it.
Night, torch, water, brush with long handle.

mmm seems trivial but that didn't work easily or brilliantly on my
conservatory roof.....in the daytime...
It's quite well stuck on - has to be to survive weeks of rain and snow
etc etc

Jim K- Hide quoted text -

They are supposedly self cleaning. We'll see.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

mmm as per Messrs Pilkington?
"The first stage of the cleaning process is "photocatalytic". In this
stage the coating reacts with daylight to break down organic dirt.

The second stage is "hydrophilic". Here, instead of forming droplets,
rainwater hits the glass and spreads evenly, running off in a "sheet"
and taking the loosened dirt with it, also drying quickly without
leaving streaks."

which I think means...you have to wait both for a sunny day (top
loosen the crud) AND til a rainy day before it washes any of the crud
off "itself"?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:50:17 -0800 (PST)
Jim K wrote:

wrote:
[...]

This year in East Anglia, we are still waiting for the latter types of
day. Rainwater? What's that?
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

wrote:
[...]

get up at 5 am and find out..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

wrote:
[...]

If I'm awake, I'll look. If not, I won't. I'll see later if it rained!
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

mmm as per Messrs Pilkington?
"The first stage of the cleaning process is "photocatalytic". In this
stage the coating reacts with daylight to break down organic dirt.

The second stage is "hydrophilic". Here, instead of forming droplets,
rainwater hits the glass and spreads evenly, running off in a "sheet"
and taking the loosened dirt with it, also drying quickly without
leaving streaks."

which I think means...you have to wait both for a sunny day (top
loosen the crud) AND til a rainy day before it washes any of the crud
off "itself"?

There is an installation near me where one of the panels is
directly beneath the TV aerial. Bird droppings were visible after
only a few days, so it will be interesting to see how it fares.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 24, 7:50*pm, Jim K wrote:
On Nov 24, 4:37 pm, harry wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Well whatever it is, they have remained clean to date.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:11:17 +0000
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Jim K wrote:

mmm as per Messrs Pilkington?
"The first stage of the cleaning process is "photocatalytic". In this
stage the coating reacts with daylight to break down organic dirt.

The second stage is "hydrophilic". Here, instead of forming droplets,
rainwater hits the glass and spreads evenly, running off in a "sheet"
and taking the loosened dirt with it, also drying quickly without
leaving streaks."

which I think means...you have to wait both for a sunny day (top
loosen the crud) AND til a rainy day before it washes any of the crud
off "itself"?

There is an installation near me where one of the panels is
directly beneath the TV aerial. Bird droppings were visible after
only a few days, so it will be interesting to see how it fares.

Chris

Assuming that the panels also re-radiate some of the heat, the birds
probably love that spot!
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 25, 9:17 am, harry wrote:
On Nov 24, 7:50 pm, Jim K wrote:

On Nov 24, 4:37 pm, harry wrote:

wrote:
[...]

....so you've been up for a look then?

Jim K

1906 saw advert davenport Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 January 5th 08 09:23 AM
1906 knife advert davenport Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 January 5th 08 09:23 AM
OT - Advert music Davao UK diy 2 June 11th 06 03:58 PM
Milwaukee tools advert TomH Woodworking 0 March 15th 05 06:28 PM