Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reflecting cold

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:38:12 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?

pid=14046&loc=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

It's like photocopying cold to make it warmer...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:38:12 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?

pid=14046&loc=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

It's like photocopying cold to make it warmer...

Perhaps it comes from the same school of thought that tells us
electric current flows in the opposite direction to the
electrons.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Jules Richardson wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:38:12 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?

pid=14046&loc=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

It's like photocopying cold to make it warmer...

Perhaps it comes from the same school of thought that tells us
electric current flows in the opposite direction to the
electrons.

Oh come on, everyone knows its the holes that go that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does not sound very scientific does it.

At that rate I could make a very interesting refrigerator.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
url:
http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2011 01:38, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

Reminds me. Under the lounge window we have a radiator about 8 feet long
with a solid 9 inch block wall behind it. Could do with some reflective
insulating stuff behind it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 1:38*am, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=14046&loc=P&c...

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

On the other hand, being sat next to a cold surface is uncomfortable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 08:35:24 +0000
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

On 08/11/2011 01:38, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

Reminds me. Under the lounge window we have a radiator about 8 feet
long with a solid 9 inch block wall behind it. Could do with some
reflective insulating stuff behind it.

I need some as well, but I can't find any that is thin enough to slip
back there. It's either too thick and won't fit, or comes in a roll from
the kitchen dept. of Morrisons. Maybe I need to start glueing foil to
cardboard.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

On 08/11/2011 01:38, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
url:

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

Reminds me. Under the lounge window we have a radiator about 8 feet
long with a solid 9 inch block wall behind it. Could do with some
reflective insulating stuff behind it.

A friend of ours, no really, used some wide aluminiumium cooking foil,
just draped and stuffed it down as best he could .. it worked so well
he did it all over his house!

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
wrote:
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=14046&loc=P&c...

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

On the other hand, being sat next to a cold surface is uncomfortable.

Apparently.

My wife has what must politely be called a *substantial* nose. Seated in
front of our lounge TV, I often find her face shrouded in a scarf.

We have large window openings to either side and the loss of radiated
heat causes her some discomfort.

Somebody once tried to explain *black body* radiation to me. AFAIR
everything absorbs incident radiation at infra red wavelengths and then
re-radiates it. The walls bounce back all they receive but the windows
do not absorb much and consequently feel cold.

One of our physicists may explain it better:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was wrote:

On 08/11/2011 01:38, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

Reminds me. Under the lounge window we have a radiator about 8 feet
long with a solid 9 inch block wall behind it. Could do with some
reflective insulating stuff behind it.

I need some as well, but I can't find any that is thin enough to slip
back there. It's either too thick and won't fit, or comes in a roll from
the kitchen dept. of Morrisons. Maybe I need to start glueing foil to
cardboard.

You want the version that comes in squares about 60cm on a side and 2mm
thick. There is a roll version about 1mm thick that is not as good, It
is surprisingly effective used on outside walls behind radiators.

It should be in season now next to rockwool and other insulation in
B&Q/Wickes. Obvious keywords should get it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I looked a few weeks ago, and did not see that on the
manufacturers' websites. Maybe it's a seasonal thing.
Thanks again.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2011 10:16, Tim Lamb wrote:

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

On the other hand, being sat next to a cold surface is uncomfortable.

Apparently.

My wife has what must politely be called a *substantial* nose. Seated in
front of our lounge TV, I often find her face shrouded in a scarf.

We have large window openings to either side and the loss of radiated
heat causes her some discomfort.

Somebody once tried to explain *black body* radiation to me. AFAIR
everything absorbs incident radiation at infra red wavelengths and then
re-radiates it. The walls bounce back all they receive but the windows
do not absorb much and consequently feel cold.

One of our physicists may explain it better:-)

IANAP

I am more than a little rusty on this so may have a few of the niceties
wrong but AIUI:

Black bodies are so called because they absorb and radiate all
frequencies. In the real world most objects reflect some frequencies
rather than absorbing them (they must do one or the other) which is why
we have coloured objects.

All objects above absolute zero radiate to some extent, even cold walls
and substantial noses. Such radiation varies with the forth power of
absolute temperature so you get quite a noticeable difference even with
relatively minor differences in temperature.

Some surfaces radiate much better than others as anyone with a
thermometer that uses infra red should have learned by now. I can get
good reading from painted radiators but have to stick on a bit of black
tape to get much response from copper pipes (a matter of emissivity I
believe).

Glass reflects so it will radiate comparatively little so windows should
appear colder. They should usually also feel colder to the touch as even
double glazing tends to be a worse insulator than all but thinnest of
solid walls.

All this off the top of my head so take it with a pinch of salt until a
real scientist comes along and pulls it apart.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:43:59 +0000, Roger Chapman wrote:

Glass reflects so it will radiate comparatively little so windows should
appear colder.

Glass is complicated in that it's transmission/reflection abilties
varies with IR frequency. I *think* glass will transmit the higher
frequency IR radiation but reflect the lower. So sunlight with high
levels of HF IR gets through this is absorbed by objects behind the
glass which reraditates it at lower freqencies which the glass
reflects. This is how greenhouses work...

They should usually also feel colder to the touch as even double glazing
tends to be a worse insulator than all but thinnest of solid walls.

Yep, and in the context of IR radiation anything that does go through
isn't likely to come back.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...46&loc=P&catid
=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

That is MBS of course but if these products are installed in their very
specific and controlled operating environment then they do operate in 2
ways that are equivalent to the what was quoted:

1. They reflect heat back into the room (on the inside)

2. They oppose radiation of heat to the outside world (the cold side)

Whether they provide these features effectively in everyday
installations is another matter and it is an issue that I have actively
questioned here in the past.

These product are required to be installed with a draught free cavity on
both inside and outside, and specifically rely on the reflective surface
remaining free from dirt for the life of the installation. I regard both
of these conditions as highly unlikely to be achieved in typical
installations and have been achieved in precisely none on the
installations I have witnessed these products in use.

In short, waste of money, barely more effective than a cheap layer of
ordinary bubble wrap in the same space. Better still, use some real,
proven insulation such as PIR foam. Expensive snake oil.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

On 08/11/2011 01:38, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=14046&loc=P&c...

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

Reminds me. Under the lounge window we have a radiator about 8 feet
long with a solid 9 inch block wall behind it. Could do with some
reflective insulating stuff behind it.

I need some as well, but I can't find any that is thin enough to slip
back there. It's either too thick and won't fit, or comes in a roll from
the kitchen dept. of Morrisons. Maybe I need to start glueing foil to
cardboard.
--
Davey.

Even this stuff?
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Cons.../sd2738/p26805
It's only about 3 or 4 mm thick. If your radiator is that close to
the wall it needs mounting further way to allow airflow up the back.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that looks good. They don't actually say how thick it is, just
the l x w dimensions, but 3 or 4 mm would be fine.
Having lived in the US until recently, I don't know the places to look
for stuff over here yet, so guidance is appreciated.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

On 08/11/2011 01:38, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

Reminds me. Under the lounge window we have a radiator about 8 feet
long with a solid 9 inch block wall behind it. Could do with some
reflective insulating stuff behind it.

I need some as well, but I can't find any that is thin enough to slip
back there. It's either too thick and won't fit, or comes in a roll from
the kitchen dept. of Morrisons. Maybe I need to start glueing foil to
cardboard.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Cons.../sd2738/p26805

Put some behind the rads. last year.
Needs a good adhesive as it doesn't transmit much vapour.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 10:41:15 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

These are not trivial amounts: the average human body receives about
400W of radiant heat from indoor surroundings, and radiates about 330W
in turn. To stay in heat balance, the difference of 70W is made up by
burning food by the body.

If the body receives 400 and emits 330 the temperature of the body would
rise until the themal losses = the gains at which time we would be in
thermal equilibrium :-) Zeroth law IIRC
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2011 17:46, Newshound wrote:

These are not trivial amounts: the average human body receives about
400W of radiant heat from indoor surroundings, and radiates about 330W
in turn. To stay in heat balance, the difference of 70W is made up by
burning food by the body.

If the body receives 400 and emits 330 the temperature of the body would
rise until the themal losses = the gains at which time we would be in
thermal equilibrium :-) Zeroth law IIRC

"the difference of 70W is made up by burning food by the body"

Read it again

My money would be on the figures being quoted the wrong way round. (Not
that I am prepared to bet on anything less than a dead cert so no money
is offered).

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .
Jules Richardson wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:38:12 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?
pid=14046&loc=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

It's like photocopying cold to make it warmer...

Perhaps it comes from the same school of thought that tells us
electric current flows in the opposite direction to the
electrons.

Oh come on, everyone knows its the holes that go that way.

And that light bulbs work by sucking the darkness in.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely what you need is a heat pip behind it attached to a large black lump
of something then you can just stick a radiator on the other end and slavage
the lost heat... Well its as scientific as the thread title!

Brian

--
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

On 08/11/2011 01:38, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
url:
http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

Reminds me. Under the lounge window we have a radiator about 8 feet
long with a solid 9 inch block wall behind it. Could do with some
reflective insulating stuff behind it.

I need some as well, but I can't find any that is thin enough to slip
back there. It's either too thick and won't fit, or comes in a roll from
the kitchen dept. of Morrisons. Maybe I need to start glueing foil to
cardboard.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/11/2011 2:38 p.m., Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

If heat is infra-red EM radiation, what is cold, I wonder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/11/2011 11:16 p.m., Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
harry writes
wrote:
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=14046&loc=P&c...

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

On the other hand, being sat next to a cold surface is uncomfortable.

Apparently.

My wife has what must politely be called a *substantial* nose. Seated in
front of our lounge TV, I often find her face shrouded in a scarf.

We have large window openings to either side and the loss of radiated
heat causes her some discomfort.

Somebody once tried to explain *black body* radiation to me. AFAIR
everything absorbs incident radiation at infra red wavelengths and then
re-radiates it. The walls bounce back all they receive but the windows
do not absorb much and consequently feel cold.

One of our physicists may explain it better:-)

regards

In this case feeling cold is more related to the conducting properties
of the glass. If instead of glass you had a sheet of steel it would
feel just as cold, since what you are feeling is basically the
temperature outside. In both cases the temperature drop across the
sheet is quite small. The temperature in the room is determined by
(among other things) the sum of the amount of radiant heat going out the
window and the amount of heat conduction through the window. With steel
instead of glass the conduction would be more, but the radiant loss
would be zero. It's not clear (to me) without doing some calculations
which would make the room warmer, but I suspect that the conduction loss
dominates.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

These are not trivial amounts: the average human body receives about
400W of radiant heat from indoor surroundings, and radiates about 330W
in turn. To stay in heat balance, the difference of 70W is made up by
burning food by the body.

If the body receives 400 and emits 330 the temperature of the body would
rise until the themal losses = the gains at which time we would be in
thermal equilibrium :-) Zeroth law IIRC

In any case more heat is lost from the body by conduction-convection
than by radiation, I believe. Evaporative cooling (sweat) can also be
very significant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/11/2011 3:33 a.m., fred wrote:

[...]

Sounds about right, and consistent with the MBS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 9:16*pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 8/11/2011 2:38 p.m., Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=14046&loc=P&c...

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

If heat is infra-red EM radiation, what is cold, I wonder?

Cold is the absorption of heat isn't it - it's a heat sink.

The first winters in this cottage were pretty miserable - just as well
we were young. Possibly late 18th century build with 3 ft thick stone
walls, it was probably warmer when built than when it was upgraded in
the late 1920's to have a proper wooden floor and lathe and plaster on
the walls, but they didn't put two and two together that all the under
floor ventilating air just circulated up behind the L and P and out
through the rood space, so the room insulation was just 2cm of
plaster, above and all round; the basic coal fire would radiantly heat
your front and the walls just seemed to suck all your warmth away from
your back.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 21:02:32 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

Jules Richardson wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:38:12 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?
pid=14046&loc=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

It's like photocopying cold to make it warmer...

Perhaps it comes from the same school of thought that tells us
electric current flows in the opposite direction to the
electrons.

Oh come on, everyone knows its the holes that go that way.

And that light bulbs work by sucking the darkness in.

I think it's time to resurrect the Phlogiston theory.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 22:54:15 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 21:02:32 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

Jules Richardson wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:38:12 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?
pid=14046&loc=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

It's like photocopying cold to make it warmer...

Perhaps it comes from the same school of thought that tells us
electric current flows in the opposite direction to the
electrons.

Oh come on, everyone knows its the holes that go that way.

And that light bulbs work by sucking the darkness in.

I think it's time to resurrect the Phlogiston theory.

And miasma/contagion :-)

Actually the idea of hot/cold isn't too silly.

In the morning I open the living-room curtains to let the darkness
out, which is just the reverse logic to letting the light in.

It's all relative/relativity really innit...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 14:38:58 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

On Nov 8, 9:16*pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 8/11/2011 2:38 p.m., Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...=14046&loc=P&c...

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

If heat is infra-red EM radiation, what is cold, I wonder?

Cold is the absorption of heat isn't it - it's a heat sink.

The first winters in this cottage were pretty miserable - just as well
we were young. Possibly late 18th century build with 3 ft thick stone
walls, it was probably warmer when built than when it was upgraded in
the late 1920's to have a proper wooden floor and lathe and plaster

ITYF it's "lath and plaster". A lathe is a machine for turning e.g.
wood or metal..

HTH

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

Jules Richardson wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:38:12 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?
pid=14046&loc=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

It's like photocopying cold to make it warmer...

Perhaps it comes from the same school of thought that tells us
electric current flows in the opposite direction to the
electrons.

Oh come on, everyone knows its the holes that go that way.

And that light bulbs work by sucking the darkness in.

*shrug* Its a theory. But really, what isn't?

(serious deep question)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 22:54:15 +0000, Davey wrote:

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 21:02:32 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

Jules Richardson wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:38:12 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?
pid=14046&loc=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

It's like photocopying cold to make it warmer...

Perhaps it comes from the same school of thought that tells us
electric current flows in the opposite direction to the
electrons.

Oh come on, everyone knows its the holes that go that way.

And that light bulbs work by sucking the darkness in.

I think it's time to resurrect the Phlogiston theory.

An expectorant will help to get rid of that.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*shrug* Its a theory. But really, what isn't?

(serious deep question)

The idea that the mass of an object changes depending on how much energy it
has isn't according to you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 00:14:59 +0000
Frank Erskine wrote:

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 22:54:15 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 21:02:32 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

Jules Richardson wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:38:12 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?
pid=14046&loc=P&catid=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

It's like photocopying cold to make it warmer...

Perhaps it comes from the same school of thought that tells us
electric current flows in the opposite direction to the
electrons.

Oh come on, everyone knows its the holes that go that way.

And that light bulbs work by sucking the darkness in.

I think it's time to resurrect the Phlogiston theory.

And miasma/contagion :-)

Actually the idea of hot/cold isn't too silly.

In the morning I open the living-room curtains to let the darkness
out, which is just the reverse logic to letting the light in.

It's all relative/relativity really innit...

Relatively speaking, yes it is.

So how do we deal with those people who annoyingly describe something
as being 'three times smaller' than something else?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

*shrug* Its a theory. But really, what isn't?

(serious deep question)

The idea that the mass of an object changes depending on how much energy
it has isn't according to you.

Well that's what the theory of relativity says... and the instruments say..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 22:54:15 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 21:02:32 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

Jules Richardson wrote:

[...]

harrys, Drivels or dennisses?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2011 10:07, dennis@home wrote:

*shrug* Its a theory. But really, what isn't?

(serious deep question)

The idea that the mass of an object changes depending on how much energy
it has isn't according to you.

So something gets heavier (or perhaps lighter) depending how hot it is
is a new one on me. Were can I find the details of this certain fact?

--
Roger Chapman