Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Reflecting cold

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
url:http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/pro...46&loc=P&catid
=110.0

Reflecting cold? That's an interesting concept.

That is MBS of course but if these products are installed in their very
specific and controlled operating environment then they do operate in 2
ways that are equivalent to the what was quoted:

1. They reflect heat back into the room (on the inside)

2. They oppose radiation of heat to the outside world (the cold side)

Whether they provide these features effectively in everyday
installations is another matter and it is an issue that I have actively
questioned here in the past.

These product are required to be installed with a draught free cavity on
both inside and outside, and specifically rely on the reflective surface
remaining free from dirt for the life of the installation. I regard both
of these conditions as highly unlikely to be achieved in typical
installations and have been achieved in precisely none on the
installations I have witnessed these products in use.

In short, waste of money, barely more effective than a cheap layer of
ordinary bubble wrap in the same space. Better still, use some real,
proven insulation such as PIR foam. Expensive snake oil.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .