Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default source of acetone

In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.
Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade

Make sure you don't develop a sudden liking for chapatis too ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

If you are unfortunate enough to live anywhere like here then try a
local nail bar: they get through loads of the stuff as nail varnish
remover and I've seen them[1] with 1 and (I think) 5 liter bottles.
Online prices seem to be ~£5 a liter:

[1] when passing - I can't afford to get my nails done at their prices!

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 4:44*pm, jim wrote:
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. *Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

TIA

Ask for cellulose paint thinners at a car spray place.
Getting hard to get as it's one of these VOC things now banned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 4:44*pm, jim wrote:
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

A gallon is probably cheaper. Try somewhere dealing with fibreglass
or epoxy in bulk.

Don't use nailpolish remover. That's cellulose acetate these days, not
acetone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2011 16:44, jim wrote:
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

TIA

Go to your local chemist and when they ask you what you want it for,
just tell them you use it for printed circuit manufacture. I use it for
removing the etch resist after the etching process.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for

direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do

with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I

expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

TIA

Available on ebay from small bottles up to full drums. I bought a 5
litre container recently from such a source.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhe.../sd2857/p30658

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

TIA

hard to get hold of. Used in processing too many street drugs.

I get mine from fibreglass suppliers. But that's getting hard too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Sep 8, 4:44 pm, jim wrote:
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

TIA

Ask for cellulose paint thinners at a car spray place.
Getting hard to get as it's one of these VOC things now banned.

That is not acetone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Sep 8, 4:44 pm, jim wrote:
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

A gallon is probably cheaper. Try somewhere dealing with fibreglass
or epoxy in bulk.

Don't use nailpolish remover. That's cellulose acetate these days, not
acetone.

No, the remover is acetone. The acetate is the nail polish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

TIA

hard to get hold of. Used in processing too many street drugs.

I get mine from fibreglass suppliers. But that's getting hard too.

Ah no .... it's very easy to get hold of, ebay, Amazon ... any boat yard,
any industrial chemical outlet ... it's probably the most widely used
industrial solvent.

I grant you bomb making & drugs production also uses fair quantities.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

I recently needed acetone to do some gel coat work in fiberglass ... bought
it off Amazon .... £6 for 1L bottle ... and £2 delivery

They were cheapest I could find ,.... seller was Mplex Ltd

Or you could buy it in hairdresser/nail wholesalers .... get it the queue
behind the nice guys buying dozens of bottles at a time, easy to spot with
the big beard & copy of Koran.

If you buy some hair bleach (Hydrogen peroxide) at same time will also gets
you a free mention in MI6 handbook. They are a bit touchy about the
ingredients for Acetone Peroxide.
If you go this route for purchase make sure it is plain Acetone, not with
perfume or coloring.

Alternative if there is a boat building yard nearby, they will have it in
45gal drums, and probably sell you stuff cheaply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher writes:

Don't use nailpolish remover. That's cellulose acetate these days, not
acetone.

No, the remover is acetone. The acetate is the nail polish.

There may be acetone in it, but not much.

I got tired of paying a quid a time for tiny 50ml. bottles from a local
chemist, because cleaning out the expanding foam from the nozzle of a
can of foam filler uses up most of the bottle.

So I tried nail polish remover. It didn't work. At all.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l dot c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't use nailpolish remover. That's cellulose acetate these days,
not acetone.

No, the remover is acetone. The acetate is the nail polish.

There may be acetone in it, but not much.

I got tired of paying a quid a time for tiny 50ml. bottles from a
local chemist, because cleaning out the expanding foam from the
nozzle of a can of foam filler uses up most of the bottle.

So I tried nail polish remover. It didn't work. At all.

You can certainly buy acetone free nail varnish remover. That does not
mean acetone is not still used as nail varnish remover.

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 00:32:02 +0100, Windmill
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher writes:

Don't use nailpolish remover. That's cellulose acetate these days, not
acetone.

No, the remover is acetone. The acetate is the nail polish.

There may be acetone in it, but not much.

I got tired of paying a quid a time for tiny 50ml. bottles from a local
chemist, because cleaning out the expanding foam from the nozzle of a
can of foam filler uses up most of the bottle.

So I tried nail polish remover. It didn't work. At all.

Having read so many times that nail polish remover is no longer acetone,
last time partner needed some we checked. Most were substantially acetone
- but a few were not. Cannot now remember what alternative compound was/is
used. But I guess that could be what you bought?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

TIA

This might help.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millennium...item43a4f12fd3

Watch out for line wrap on the link.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Natural Philosopher writes:

Don't use nailpolish remover. That's cellulose acetate these days, not
acetone.

No, the remover is acetone. The acetate is the nail polish.

There may be acetone in it, but not much.

I got tired of paying a quid a time for tiny 50ml. bottles from a local
chemist, because cleaning out the expanding foam from the nozzle of a
can of foam filler uses up most of the bottle.

So I tried nail polish remover. It didn't work. At all.

Having read so many times that nail polish remover is no longer acetone,
last time partner needed some we checked. Most were substantially acetone
- but a few were not. Cannot now remember what alternative compound was/is
used. But I guess that could be what you bought?

Maybe so, but I did explain to the pharmacist what I needed it for, and
she thought it would do the job.
Didn't smell much like acetone to me. More like ether, but I have a
lousy sense of smell.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l dot c o m
J.R.R. Tolkien: All that is gold does not glister / Not all who wander are lost
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim writes:

In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Are these folk any use to you?
http://www.shinyhardware.co.uk/prods...rchBox=acetone
we bought some isopropanol form them, though not aceton.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)