Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default source of acetone

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 00:32:02 +0100, Windmill
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher writes:

Don't use nailpolish remover. That's cellulose acetate these days, not
acetone.

No, the remover is acetone. The acetate is the nail polish.

There may be acetone in it, but not much.

I got tired of paying a quid a time for tiny 50ml. bottles from a local
chemist, because cleaning out the expanding foam from the nozzle of a
can of foam filler uses up most of the bottle.

So I tried nail polish remover. It didn't work. At all.

Having read so many times that nail polish remover is no longer acetone,
last time partner needed some we checked. Most were substantially acetone
- but a few were not. Cannot now remember what alternative compound was/is
used. But I guess that could be what you bought?

--
Rod