Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_3_] Rick Hughes[_3_] is offline

Default source of acetone

"jim" wrote in message
In need of a small quantity of acetone for cleaning.

Hopefully 1 litre or so of very basic or rough grade - not for direct
human contact - should see the job done. Nothing whatever to do with
hair or nail extensions!

I have never bought it before. It's on ebay but where should I expect
to buy it in a town - high street, industrial cleaning agent
suppliers, car parts factors or..?

Any brand name to look for?

I recently needed acetone to do some gel coat work in fiberglass ... bought
it off Amazon .... £6 for 1L bottle ... and £2 delivery

They were cheapest I could find ,.... seller was Mplex Ltd

Or you could buy it in hairdresser/nail wholesalers .... get it the queue
behind the nice guys buying dozens of bottles at a time, easy to spot with
the big beard & copy of Koran.

If you buy some hair bleach (Hydrogen peroxide) at same time will also gets
you a free mention in MI6 handbook. They are a bit touchy about the
ingredients for Acetone Peroxide.
If you go this route for purchase make sure it is plain Acetone, not with
perfume or coloring.

Alternative if there is a boat building yard nearby, they will have it in
45gal drums, and probably sell you stuff cheaply.