Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Acetone in keyhole?

On Jun 2, 5:59*am, Justin wrote:
On Jun 2, 6:58*am, Justin wrote:

Hello,
After locking myself out of my apartment yesterday, I managed to make
the problem worse by fiddling with a piece of plastic in the lock
which broke off and ended up being shoved pretty far into the back of
the key hole. *I tried using some needles to get it out, but no dice.
Anyone have a reasonably cheap solution? * Would injecting acetone
damage the mechanism in any way?

I should mention that I did get a spare key, in case it helps. *Thanks!

Adding acetone will make a nice glue...to make things worse!
Try "Lock-Ease" and the key...and work it in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I used to service the locks at a hotel, that used Lock Ease
Graphited Lock Fluid. That awful black crap caused more
problems than the tenants. Dried up, and got sticky.

As to the plastic piece, someone has to take the lock apart
to get the piece out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus