Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spinning Keyhole in Doorknob

I recently installed new doorknobs in my garage-to-house door. Now I
notice that the center keyhole disk (where you'd insert the key into
the knob) spins freely instead of always being at the 6:00 position.
Is there a way to adjust this so the keyhole is stationary, or is this
a defective knob?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I vote defective.

Bummer. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:
I vote defective.

Bummer. Thanks.

Specifically, if you look at a cut-away drawing of a lock, you'll see the
pins should be spring driven into corresponding holes when the cylinder is
at the home position and the key removed.

If the cylinder moves, without a key, from the home position, then the pins
are not being driven into the cylinder. There are either no pins, the pin
shafts are dirty causing the pins to stick in the unlock position, the
itty-bitty springs are missing, or something else.

I'd fill the lock with WD40. Then tap the lock lots with a hammer and work
the key in and out in an attempt to dislodge the stuck pins.

It's a cheap shot at salvage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the cylinder moves, without a key, from the home position, then the pins
are not being driven into the cylinder. There are either no pins, the pin
shafts are dirty causing the pins to stick in the unlock position, the
itty-bitty springs are missing, or something else.

It's a brand spankin' new lock. I got the feeling that the guy who
was keying it to work with my existing house keys was not well versed
at the process. Thus, I'm guessing he messed something up inside
while keying it.

I'd fill the lock with WD40. Then tap the lock lots with a hammer and work
the key in and out in an attempt to dislodge the stuck pins.

Like a goofball, I didn't keep the receipt and not sure if Home Depot
will let me exchange it, so I'll give your WD40 trick a shot. Thanks
again.

-F

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:

[...]

Take it back to Home Depot and explain the problem. They're pretty good
about taking care of customers, as long as you're polite. Tell them you
lost your receipt, give them the credit card you used to pay the bill,
and they'll find it in their computer system in seconds.

All the locksmiths I work with say not to use WD-40 (or graphite for
that matter--the old standard). Instead, use a light oil like 3-In-1.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:
If the cylinder moves, without a key, from the home position, then
the pins are not being driven into the cylinder. There are either no
pins, the pin shafts are dirty causing the pins to stick in the
unlock position, the itty-bitty springs are missing, or something
else.

It's a brand spankin' new lock. I got the feeling that the guy who
was keying it to work with my existing house keys was not well versed
at the process. Thus, I'm guessing he messed something up inside
while keying it.

Ah! Assuming the re-work was done by a droid at HD, take it back. An
experienced droid can make it work.

In fairness to the original driod, he did make the lock work with your
existing key - which is what you wanted. The fact that the lock also works
when using a screwdriver or other keys was left out of the equation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
Fleemo wrote:
I vote defective.

Bummer. Thanks.

Specifically, if you look at a cut-away drawing of a lock, you'll see the
pins should be spring driven into corresponding holes when the cylinder is
at the home position and the key removed.

If the cylinder moves, without a key, from the home position, then the pins
are not being driven into the cylinder. There are either no pins, the pin
shafts are dirty causing the pins to stick in the unlock position, the
itty-bitty springs are missing, or something else.

I'd fill the lock with WD40. Then tap the lock lots with a hammer and work
the key in and out in an attempt to dislodge the stuck pins.

It's a cheap shot at salvage.

I read somewhere (book about locksmithing) to not use wd-40
(or maybe it was oil it was warning about?) but instead graphite.

David