Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Too_Many_Tools

Default Karle Lathe Spinning Tools and Dual Use Spinning/Storage Cabinet

I recently purchased a Karle spinning lathe from a friend...EXCELLENT
small spinning lathe.

Unfortunately the lathe did not have any spinning tools with it. What
spinning tools would the group recommend to purchase and where would
you buy them?

Also with a small shop, I wish to make this lathe "portable" to store
it when it is not in use. Any suggestions for a good combination lathe
storage and spinning stand?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the response.

Hasn't anyone built a combination table/storage for a portable lathe?

I would think that it would be needed to use a lathe at trade shows and
demonstrations.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the response.

Hasn't anyone built a combination table/storage for a portable lathe?

I would think that it would be needed to use a lathe at trade shows and
demonstrations.

Look to the old treadle sewing machines for ideas. You'd want good wedging
on the top with the lathe up, of course.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi ???

I have not, build something I do not need.
I do take my little lathe along, set it in my truck behind the seat,
and also a B&D workmate, then set up the workmate with the lathe on
top, what else do I need?

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken G.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Thanks for the response.

Hasn't anyone built a combination table/storage for a portable lathe?

I would think that it would be needed to use a lathe at trade shows and
demonstrations.

If you have the same lathe I'm thinking you have, it's not exactly a
portable lathe:
http://www.rudeosolnik.com/spin%20sh...%20lathe. jpg

Anyway, I have the same exact lathe as Rude used but it's my only lathe
for woodturning. The thing weighs a lot.

I have a rolling tool cart to hold all my woodturning tools, next to the
lathe.

For metal spinning tools, just use hardened steel shafts set in handles
with appropriately shaped tips, polished to reduce friction. You can do
a lot with two tools made from 3/8" or 1/2" shaft, with bullet-shaped
tips. Use wax for a lubricant.

Hopefully you have the toolrest with holes on the top edge, where you
can insert fulcrum pins at various positions?

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/shop/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the advice on the tools...I think I will be building some
tools since there seems to be little available.

Yes, I believe that is the lathe...it weighs a bit over a hundred
pounds so it is still managable in terms of portability.

I do have the same table available but it takes up a lot of room...room
that I would like it to share with other tools. That is why I would
like to have a portable storage solution available so it can be stored
when not in use and also be available for demos at workshops.

I am a bit surprised that I haven't had more response to this question
of portability...I would think that it would be a common need among
turners and spinners.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a bit surprised that I haven't had more response to this question
of portability...I would think that it would be a common need among
turners and spinners.

Portability is simply a cabinet on wheels. I like wheels at the headstock
end, where the weight is. Tailstock end features wheelbarrow-like handles
to maneuver the beast through a 30 inch opening. Wheels are 1/2" off the
floor in normal configuration, with the cabinet on skids relieved to allow
the wheels to contact when lifted.

I assumed you wanted to store the lathe in the cabinet, which is a more
difficult proposition. Might even be necessary, if you have a capped
mini-pickup like mine.

Be sure to provide locking devices for the two drawers up top and the two
doors underneath, or be prepared to chase them around. Use wedges to firm
up on whatever they give you for a demo floor.