Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woodlice problem

Hi

I keep finding dead woodlice around the edges my living room carpet,
as well as the occasional one scurrying across the carpet. For the
life of me I can’t find where they are coming from, so I can stop
them. There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like. Is
there anything available to track their entry point?

Thanks

Alec
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 07:46:40 -0700 (PDT), alec green
wrote:

There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like. Is
there anything available to track their entry point?

You might try a fine coating of dust over a couple of square feet.
How fine it would have to be, I don't know, as I've no idea what kind
of foot pressure/dragging woodlice have.
Failing that, just nuke'em with insect killer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 05/09/2011 16:50, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Failing that, just nuke'em with insect killer.

Someone is going to say it.... does insecticide work on crustaceans?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alec green writes:
Hi

I keep finding dead woodlice around the edges my living room carpet,
as well as the occasional one scurrying across the carpet. For the
life of me I can=92t find where they are coming from, so I can stop
them. There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like. Is
there anything available to track their entry point?

They live off damp rotting wood (but they don't make wood rot).
I would be checking for any damp rotting woodwork inside the
house.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
alec green writes:
Hi

I keep finding dead woodlice around the edges my living room carpet,
as well as the occasional one scurrying across the carpet. For the
life of me I can=92t find where they are coming from, so I can stop
them. There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like.
Is there anything available to track their entry point?

They live off damp rotting wood (but they don't make wood rot).
I would be checking for any damp rotting woodwork inside the
house.

And they are also known as grammerzows, cheeselogs, coffin cutters, monkey
peas and my favourite, chiggy pigs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like. Is
there anything available to track their entry point?

You might try a fine coating of dust over a couple of square feet.
How fine it would have to be, I don't know,

How do you find out which couple of their feet are square?

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-09-05, Phil L wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
alec green writes:
Hi

I keep finding dead woodlice around the edges my living room carpet,
as well as the occasional one scurrying across the carpet. For the
life of me I can=92t find where they are coming from, so I can stop
them. There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like.
Is there anything available to track their entry point?

They live off damp rotting wood (but they don't make wood rot).
I would be checking for any damp rotting woodwork inside the
house.

And they are also known as grammerzows, cheeselogs, coffin cutters, monkey
peas and my favourite, chiggy pigs

Also "pill bugs" and "roly-polies" (not sure about the spelling).

They're supposed to be good to eat too, being the ony terrestrial
member of the shrimp family, although I haven't tried them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They live off damp rotting wood (but they don't make wood rot).
I would be checking for any damp rotting woodwork inside the
house.

I know that, so I was most surpised to find loads of them under a concrete
hearth that I lifted out of my mates old house last week. This had concrete
floors as well.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-09-05, Phil L wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
alec writes:
Hi

I keep finding dead woodlice around the edges my living room carpet,
as well as the occasional one scurrying across the carpet. For the
life of me I can=92t find where they are coming from, so I can stop
them. There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like.
Is there anything available to track their entry point?

They live off damp rotting wood (but they don't make wood rot).
I would be checking for any damp rotting woodwork inside the
house.

And they are also known as grammerzows, cheeselogs, coffin cutters, monkey
peas and my favourite, chiggy pigs

Also "pill bugs" and "roly-polies" (not sure about the spelling).

They're supposed to be good to eat too, being the ony terrestrial
member of the shrimp family, although I haven't tried them.

Slaters

I ate one once ('at age 3).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adam Funk
writes
On 2011-09-05, Phil L wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
alec green writes:
Hi

I keep finding dead woodlice around the edges my living room carpet,
as well as the occasional one scurrying across the carpet. For the
life of me I can=92t find where they are coming from, so I can stop
them. There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like.
Is there anything available to track their entry point?

They live off damp rotting wood (but they don't make wood rot).
I would be checking for any damp rotting woodwork inside the
house.

And they are also known as grammerzows, cheeselogs, coffin cutters, monkey
peas and my favourite, chiggy pigs

Also "pill bugs" and "roly-polies" (not sure about the spelling).

They're supposed to be good to eat too, being the ony terrestrial
member of the shrimp family, although I haven't tried them.

I wouldn't dream of insulting a woodlouse by calling it anything other
than a "slater".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Adam Funk
writes

And they are also known as grammerzows, cheeselogs, coffin cutters, monkey
peas and my favourite, chiggy pigs

Also "pill bugs" and "roly-polies" (not sure about the spelling).

They're supposed to be good to eat too, being the ony terrestrial
member of the shrimp family, although I haven't tried them.

I wouldn't dream of insulting a woodlouse by calling it anything other
than a "slater".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse

Thats what we called them when growing up too - in Scotland.. Maybe
it's a regional thing...

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 22:08:04 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They live off damp rotting wood (but they don't make wood rot).
I would be checking for any damp rotting woodwork inside the
house.

I know that, so I was most surpised to find loads of them under a concrete
hearth that I lifted out of my mates old house last week. This had concrete
floors as well.

I was removing some loose rendering about 12 feet up the house wall a
few months back and found a family of them underneath (between brick
and render).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2011 09:32, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Thats what we called them when growing up too - in Scotland.. Maybe
it's a regional thing...

Even right on the Sussex coast the seashore one is a sea slater.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2011 18:45, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
alec writes:
Hi

I keep finding dead woodlice around the edges my living room carpet,
as well as the occasional one scurrying across the carpet. For the
life of me I can=92t find where they are coming from, so I can stop
them. There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like. Is
there anything available to track their entry point?

They live off damp rotting wood (but they don't make wood rot).
I would be checking for any damp rotting woodwork inside the
house.

We had a slow leak that took us ages to find. The seam on the hot-water
tank had gone, but the water was running along under a floorboard and
dripping off many feet away, in a spot that couldn't be seen due to it
being in a 4" gap between the wall and a joist, under an immovable
cupboard. For months we had damp, but no sign of a leak. The damp lifted
the wallpaper in a downstairs room and we found woodlice living behind
the raised paper - presumably eating either the back of the paper or the
paste as all the wood was fine.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to alec green, Rosie Flora wrote:
How did you get rid of them?
I have the same problem I have no dampness but I keep finding dead woodlice in
corners of my lounge which is carpeted

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...em-728730-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 22:14:15 GMT, Rosie Flora
m wrote:

replying to alec green, Rosie Flora wrote:
How did you get rid of them?
I have the same problem I have no dampness but I keep finding dead woodlice in
corners of my lounge which is carpeted

I replaced my skirting board and fitted UPCV doors.

Woodlice were coming in through the front and rear doors. Spray from
garden shops had a slight effect and if I was present in the house all
year might have got them all, but when I pulled off a piece of
skirting the reason for the "invasion" became clear. The little
horrors had chewed paths into the rear of the stuff, the skirting then
became a veritable conduit for a safe quick passage around the house.

Replacing the skirting in the front and rear where the original wooden
doors were has virtually stopped the infestation.

I am slowly replacing all the skirting in the house with MDF, and
still find the odd one or two live woodlice, but the problem has to
all intents and purposes disappeared.

The problem solved itself with the UPVC really and oddly enough after
replacing the door and the skirting in the porch, on my return back
home after a few months away, I used to find little groups of dead
woodlice on the floor near the inside of the front door. This was
after the first year. No sign of that now.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2018 23:14, Rosie Flora wrote:
replying to alec green, Rosie Flora wrote:
How did you get rid of them?
I have the same problem I have no dampness but I keep finding dead
woodlice in
corners of my lounge which is carpeted

They are eating your decaying floor boards or decaying skirting boards?
They are dead possibly because at some time the timbers have been
treated with a long lasting insecticide for woodworm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2018 23:14, Rosie Flora wrote:
replying to alec green, Rosie Flora wrote:
How did you get rid of them?
I have the same problem I have no dampness but I keep finding dead
woodlice in
corners of my lounge which is carpeted

After 7 years I expect they will be dead by now.

Did you notice the date of the posting ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2018 04:29, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Woodlice were coming in through the front and rear doors. Spray from
garden shops had a slight effect and if I was present in the house all
year might have got them all, but when I pulled off a piece of
skirting the reason for the "invasion" became clear. The little
horrors had chewed paths into the rear of the stuff, the skirting then
became a veritable conduit for a safe quick passage around the house.

I think you'll find they mostly eat rotting wood. Most likely your
skirting was already suspect.

Andy

Aluminum soffit installation problem-How would the pros handle this problem? Me Home Repair 3 July 31st 08 12:42 PM
Woodlice Jo UK diy 32 March 23rd 06 06:50 PM
re woodlice fred UK diy 3 March 21st 06 08:26 PM
woodlice epecially when it rains Nospam UK diy 7 October 11th 05 07:36 PM
Septic system problem-pump out or drain field problem? Arthur Davis Home Repair 2 January 12th 05 02:17 AM