Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woodlice problem

On 05/09/2011 18:45, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
alec writes:
Hi

I keep finding dead woodlice around the edges my living room carpet,
as well as the occasional one scurrying across the carpet. For the
life of me I can=92t find where they are coming from, so I can stop
them. There are no obvious signs of damp which I believe they like. Is
there anything available to track their entry point?

They live off damp rotting wood (but they don't make wood rot).
I would be checking for any damp rotting woodwork inside the
house.

We had a slow leak that took us ages to find. The seam on the hot-water
tank had gone, but the water was running along under a floorboard and
dripping off many feet away, in a spot that couldn't be seen due to it
being in a 4" gap between the wall and a joist, under an immovable
cupboard. For months we had damp, but no sign of a leak. The damp lifted
the wallpaper in a downstairs room and we found woodlice living behind
the raised paper - presumably eating either the back of the paper or the
paste as all the wood was fine.

SteveW