Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Purchasing a car (privately). Payment methods

On 19/07/2011 14:37, Nightjar wrote:
It is a very long time since I bought a second hand car, but my
experience then was that the manufacturer's dealership gave excellent
service and a good guarantee. Of course, it may depend upon the
manufacturer.

And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2011 20:53, Andy Champ wrote:
On 19/07/2011 14:37, Nightjar wrote:
It is a very long time since I bought a second hand car, but my
experience then was that the manufacturer's dealership gave excellent
service and a good guarantee. Of course, it may depend upon the
manufacturer.

And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

No problem.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

You did 3 years on one set of tyres?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

That 1500 quid remained constant over 18 years? I find that hard to
believe.

However, many would prefer to spend the new cost of something like a Jazz
on a better secondhand car. Or buy one of your castoffs at a 4500 saving.
You can buy a lot of tyres etc for that.

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2011 13:17, ARWadsworth wrote:
Tony wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

You did 3 years on one set of tyres?

Why not? The average life of a tyre is 50,000 km - 31,000 miles, the
average UK motorist drives 9,628 miles per annum.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 19/07/2011 14:37, Nightjar wrote:
It is a very long time since I bought a second hand car, but my
experience then was that the manufacturer's dealership gave excellent
service and a good guarantee. Of course, it may depend upon the
manufacturer.

And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

Andy

Bought as second hand pick-up recently. First authorised dealer was
dreadful - wouldn't touch with proverbial barge pole. 2nd authorised
dealer excellent. Remainder of manufacturers initial warranty plus their
own warranty, and serviced before collection.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

That 1500 quid remained constant over 18 years? I find that hard to
believe.

However, many would prefer to spend the new cost of something like a Jazz
on a better secondhand car. Or buy one of your castoffs at a 4500 saving.
You can buy a lot of tyres etc for that.

Bought an ex-demonstrator Land Rover Defender last year. 3 months old 10
(ten) miles on the clock, never been out the showroom and saved about
£4.5K
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Tony wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

You did 3 years on one set of tyres?

Why not? The average life of a tyre is 50,000 km - 31,000 miles, the
average UK motorist drives 9,628 miles per annum.

Had our C4 for 3 years and 3 months, 34k miles, still on original tyres.

Got 50K miles in 9 years out of Defender M+S tyres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
hugh ] wrote:
Bought as second hand pick-up recently. First authorised dealer was
dreadful - wouldn't touch with proverbial barge pole. 2nd authorised
dealer excellent. Remainder of manufacturers initial warranty plus their
own warranty, and serviced before collection.

Sort of proves my point. You found 50% of main dealers dreadful. And of
course those living in some areas may not have a choice of their dealer.

My main dealer was incompetent, dishonest and rude. All that while
charging well over 100 quid an hour labour - and parts at full prices. The
worrying thing is complaints to the car maker brought no help whatsoever.
Which suggests they are so used to complaints they can't be bothered
investigating them.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:27:53 +1000, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

That amount of depreciation is exceptionally small. It would be much
more on a larger car, for example.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 20, 3:07*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

Tony *wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. *I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

You did 3 years on one set of tyres?

Why not? The average life of a tyre is 50,000 km - 31,000 miles, the
average UK motorist drives 9,628 miles per annum.

Had our C4 for 3 years and 3 months, 34k miles, still on original tyres..

Got 50K miles in 9 years out of Defender M+S tyres.

Those were not just any tyres...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 20, 3:25 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
hugh ] wrote:

Bought as second hand pick-up recently. First authorised dealer was
dreadful - wouldn't touch with proverbial barge pole. 2nd authorised
dealer excellent. Remainder of manufacturers initial warranty plus their
own warranty, and serviced before collection.

Sort of proves my point. You found 50% of main dealers dreadful. And of
ourse those living in some areas may not have a choice of their dealer.

My main dealer was incompetent, dishonest and rude. All that while
charging well over 100 quid an hour labour - and parts at full prices. The
worrying thing is complaints to the car maker brought no help whatsoever.
Which suggests they are so used to complaints they can't be bothered
investigating them.

My main dealer experience too -
e.g. I insisted on a 4wheel alignment check to sort a niggly steering
drift issue on a 2yr old motor - which they had to sub out, they
charged my co. for it no and said it was all OK but twas no better. I
asked to see the report from the suby aligners and when they
eventually showed me it said "cannot complete as XS play in OSF ???
joint - needs replacing" (Can;t remember which joint).
FFS!
e.g.2 they then squirmed about fixing the gearbox under warranty so
much I changed dealers who put a "new" genuine recon one in with no
argument whatsoever.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Jim K wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the most telling thing about mine was after buying a 2 year old
BMW from them - who they'd supplied and serviced from new - I thought the
handbrake poor. Not a big deal since it's an auto. But it did have a 100
and something point check, according to the blurb.

It failed its first MOT on the handbrake.

I decided to take a look. The adjuster on one side was jammed solid on the
back stop. Must have been like this from new - not seized through rust or
whatever, just so tight it wouldn't move. Removed it and put it in the
vice. Once started moving, it turned easily. On re-assembly, and trying to
adjust the shoes correctly, found the cable on that side wound up in an
attempt to compensate. Which is a nice easy adjustment to get at. Re-set
everything by the book and it was fine.

At each and every service, the brakes are meant to be checked. I'd also
asked for it to be fixed under warranty.

Just one of the many things with that dealer and the next one operating
out of the same premises. As soon as the BMW warranty ran out I used an
independant. Who is pretty good. Unusually.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:28:20 +0100 Mark wrote :
My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

That amount of depreciation is exceptionally small. It would be much
more on a larger car, for example.

Yes, or if you bought a French car or if you chose to spend a lot on
options. I'm always suspicious of the retained value figures quoted for
cars like Audis and BMWs given that AIUI spending several thousand pounds
on options is the norm so price actually paid is a lot more than list,
whilst for other makes discounting is the norm.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Tony wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500
- so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

You did 3 years on one set of tyres?

Why not? The average life of a tyre is 50,000 km - 31,000 miles, the
average UK motorist drives 9,628 miles per annum.

Had our C4 for 3 years and 3 months, 34k miles, still on original tyres.

Got 50K miles in 9 years out of Defender M+S tyres.

How much of that was on hard surfaces though?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

Tony wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take
the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3
years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500
- so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

You did 3 years on one set of tyres?

Why not? The average life of a tyre is 50,000 km - 31,000 miles, the
average UK motorist drives 9,628 miles per annum.

Had our C4 for 3 years and 3 months, 34k miles, still on original tyres.

Got 50K miles in 9 years out of Defender M+S tyres.

How much of that was on hard surfaces though?

99.99%

All teh ay to Arrhus and back on autobahns was its best trip

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
Tim Streater wrote:

Tony wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500
- so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

You did 3 years on one set of tyres?

Why not? The average life of a tyre is 50,000 km - 31,000 miles, the
average UK motorist drives 9,628 miles per annum.

Had our C4 for 3 years and 3 months, 34k miles, still on original tyres.

Got 50K miles in 9 years out of Defender M+S tyres.

How much of that was on hard surfaces though?

Colin Bignell

I got 64k out of a set of BFG MTs on a Defender, mostly on tarmac.
When I eventually changed them there was still loads of tread left, but
they had become distorted to the point where it was almost impossible to
balance them.
I now run ATs
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:53:34 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
Jim K wrote:
My main dealer was incompetent, dishonest and rude. All that while
charging well over 100 quid an hour labour - and parts at full prices.

Perhaps the most telling thing about mine was after buying a 2 year old
BMW from them - who they'd supplied and serviced from new - I thought the
handbrake poor. Not a big deal since it's an auto. But it did have a 100
and something point check, according to the blurb.

It failed its first MOT on the handbrake.

Luck of the drawer with dealers I suppose.
The other halfs car developed a niggling fault fortunately before the
manufactures warranty runs out next month. An Oil burning smell which
looked like and indeed turned out to be a very small leak from a
gasket dripping onto the exhaust.
Booked it in and also mentioned that I was not happy with the clutch
action even though mileage is not excessive and that the engine /feel
of the car just did not feel as smooth as I remembered it. The
receptionist warned me that should the clutch turnout to be fair wear
and tear it would be chargeable but it was stated in a friendly manner
and with no hint that result would almost be a foregone conclusion.
Next morning they rang and said they had found the leak, which would
be cured. The mechanic had diagnosed the loss of smoothness down to a
dual mass flywheel which was playing up so this would also be a
warranty covered repair and as they had to go that far with the
dismantling they would also do the clutch under warranty, as it was
not possible to apportion if the wear was down to driving style or the
flywheel problem or both. I think it was quite a good diagnosis as
the OH has since said she had recently had difficulty getting into
first and was often pulling away in 2nd.
They also found a small leak on the water pump which I had not noticed
and did that as a warranty replacement without prompting.

As this was all in the final weeks of warranty I did wonder if they
might have put up some resistance (thinking why didn't they bring it
in earlier) but there was no hint of that at all.
This was the MINI half of a BMW dealership.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take
the initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years.
On my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was
£4500 - so £1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust
replacements and very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth
paying for IMO.

You did 3 years on one set of tyres?

Why not? The average life of a tyre is 50,000 km - 31,000 miles, the
average UK motorist drives 9,628 miles per annum.

Not with the rear tyres lasting 2 or 3 times longer that the front ones on a
front wheel drive car

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take
the initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 -
so £1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements
and very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

And I have a 16 year old Honda Civic that has only ever needed a few
repairs.

That amount of depreciation is exceptionally small. It would be much
more on a larger car, for example.

The Jazz is probably one of the best cars when it comes to depreciation
(from a buy it new owners point of view).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:

Why not? The average life of a tyre is 50,000 km - 31,000 miles, the
average UK motorist drives 9,628 miles per annum.

Had our C4 for 3 years and 3 months, 34k miles, still on original tyres.

Got 50K miles in 9 years out of Defender M+S tyres.

Just changed the front tyres on my Twingo: 100,000km in 11 years. The
rear pair show little sign of wear.

I've only owned three cars in 40 years. The first I bought new; after
five years it was rusting and needed expensive repairs so I got rid of
it. The second did a 80,000km in three years before being written off in
by a hit-and-run. The insurance co. paid market value which was 30% more
than I paid for it. The Twingo I've had 13 years and has just completed
the annual trip o Italy without mishap. I've had good value from
second-hand cars.
--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:

Just changed the front tyres on my Twingo: 100,000km in 11 years.

Should have been changed at about 6 years ago regardless of mileage then ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc :
Just changed the front tyres on my Twingo: 100,000km in 11 years. The
rear pair show little sign of wear.

When I changed some high-mileage tyres it was explained to me that tread
wear is not the only issue, and they should have been changed long
before.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
djc wrote:

Just changed the front tyres on my Twingo: 100,000km in 11 years.

Should have been changed at about 6 years ago regardless of mileage then

I would have said change them straight away..
tyres are a compromise between grip and wear, tyres which last that long are
trading off too much grip.

The second car I ever owned had tyres on it that lasted more than 70,000
miles. it wasn't until they were replaced I realised how much grip they
lost. (The first car doesn't count as they were cross ply). I would avoid
such tyres these days.

Oh and the rubber does age well so tyres don't last forever even when
unused.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 6:53 am, Andy Burns wrote:
djc wrote:
Just changed the front tyres on my Twingo: 100,000km in 11 years.

Should have been changed at about 6 years ago regardless of mileage then ...

eh?

"How old is too old? The five year test

After five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly
inspected at least once per year. If the need arises, follow the
recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the
original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been
replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a
tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres.
Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down
to the tread wear indicator."

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2011 07:54, dennis@home wrote:
The second car I ever owned had tyres on it that lasted more than 70,000
miles. it wasn't until they were replaced I realised how much grip they
lost. (The first car doesn't count as they were cross ply). I would
avoid such tyres these days...

When we went rallying, we used a soft compound tyre that would last
about 3,000 miles, but the car went around corners as if it were on rails.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
djc :
Just changed the front tyres on my Twingo: 100,000km in 11 years. The
rear pair show little sign of wear.

When I changed some high-mileage tyres it was explained to me that tread
wear is not the only issue, and they should have been changed long
before.

I had to replace three tyres in te camper. No wear, but the sun had
perished all the outer sidewalls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 22/07/2011 07:54, dennis@home wrote:
The second car I ever owned had tyres on it that lasted more than 70,000
miles. it wasn't until they were replaced I realised how much grip they
lost. (The first car doesn't count as they were cross ply). I would
avoid such tyres these days...

When we went rallying, we used a soft compound tyre that would last
about 3,000 miles, but the car went around corners as if it were on rails.

Colin Bignell

when I da a minu it would eat its tyres in 5000. Mind you I was a
terrible boy racer then..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 22/07/2011 07:54, dennis@home wrote:
The second car I ever owned had tyres on it that lasted more than 70,000
miles. it wasn't until they were replaced I realised how much grip they
lost. (The first car doesn't count as they were cross ply). I would
avoid such tyres these days...

When we went rallying, we used a soft compound tyre that would last
about 3,000 miles, but the car went around corners as if it were on
rails.

Colin Bignell

when I da a minu it would eat its tyres in 5000. Mind you I was a
terrible boy racer then..

These days you are a really good one?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 22/07/2011 07:54, dennis@home wrote:
The second car I ever owned had tyres on it that lasted more than
70,000
miles. it wasn't until they were replaced I realised how much grip they
lost. (The first car doesn't count as they were cross ply). I would
avoid such tyres these days...

When we went rallying, we used a soft compound tyre that would last
about 3,000 miles, but the car went around corners as if it were on
rails.

Colin Bignell

when I da a minu it would eat its tyres in 5000. Mind you I was a
terrible boy racer then..

These days you are a really good one?

These days I can't afford the petrol.

And anyway, I learnt how to drive fast. Dont need to do it anymore.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 00:59:19 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

As a precaution, if the tyres have not been
replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a
tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres.

Well they would, wouldn't they :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As a precaution, if the tyres have not been
replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a
tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres.

Well they would, wouldn't they :-)

indeed even the most obvious vested interest source says 4 more years
than the "limit" of 6 years declared by a previous post...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

indeed even the most obvious vested interest source says 4 more years
than the "limit" of 6 years declared by a previous post...

Granted that caravan tyres are more likely to sit in the sun, going
nowhere for long periods (but then aforementioned twingo that only does
5,000 miles/year might too) the caravan club (not a tyre reseller with
vested interests) recommends that ...

"tyres should ideally be replaced when 5 years old but should never be
used beyond 7 years old."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2011 18:57, Andy Burns wrote:

"tyres should ideally be replaced when 5 years old but should never be
used beyond 7 years old."

I can believe that of caravan tyres, which sit in the sun all day. I
wonder what the life is of a space-saver spare that never gets used, and
never sees light?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 6:57 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim K wrote:
indeed even the most obvious vested interest source says 4 more years
than the "limit" of 6 years declared by a previous post...

Granted that caravan tyres are more likely to sit in the sun, going
nowhere for long periods (but then aforementioned twingo that only does
5,000 miles/year might too) the caravan club (not a tyre reseller with
vested interests) recommends that ...

"tyres should ideally be replaced when 5 years old but should never be
used beyond 7 years old."

?
odd that a worldwide manufacturer (never mind a french multinational
with usual self preservation drive) with *the most* vested interest
should publicly come out with a recommendation of around double that
time frame..?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
On 22/07/2011 18:57, Andy Burns wrote:

"tyres should ideally be replaced when 5 years old but should never be
used beyond 7 years old."

I can believe that of caravan tyres, which sit in the sun all day. I
wonder what the life is of a space-saver spare that never gets used, and never sees light?

Andy

For my money, the question is would you rather save a few quid now to skip
swapping the tyre, or risk the much bigger expense and hassle if the tyre
goes pop while it's being used. I'd always pay out the few quid to avoid a
crash :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:53:46 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:
djc :
Just changed the front tyres on my Twingo: 100,000km in 11 years. The
rear pair show little sign of wear.

When I changed some high-mileage tyres it was explained to me that tread
wear is not the only issue, and they should have been changed long
before.

I had to replace three tyres in te camper. No wear, but the sun had
perished all the outer sidewalls.

And the tyres can wear unevenly so that they are no longer circular.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:53:46 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:
djc :
Just changed the front tyres on my Twingo: 100,000km in 11 years. The
rear pair show little sign of wear.
When I changed some high-mileage tyres it was explained to me that tread
wear is not the only issue, and they should have been changed long
before.

I had to replace three tyres in te camper. No wear, but the sun had
perished all the outer sidewalls.

And the tyres can wear unevenly so that they are no longer circular.

Only on formula one cars.