Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Purchasing a car (privately). Payment methods

In article
,
Jim K wrote:
My main dealer was incompetent, dishonest and rude. All that while
charging well over 100 quid an hour labour - and parts at full prices.
The worrying thing is complaints to the car maker brought no help
whatsoever. Which suggests they are so used to complaints they can't
be bothered investigating them.

My main dealer experience too -
e.g. I insisted on a 4wheel alignment check to sort a niggly steering
drift issue on a 2yr old motor - which they had to sub out, they
charged my co. for it no and said it was all OK but twas no better. I
asked to see the report from the suby aligners and when they
eventually showed me it said "cannot complete as XS play in OSF ???
joint - needs replacing" (Can;t remember which joint).
FFS!
e.g.2 they then squirmed about fixing the gearbox under warranty so
much I changed dealers who put a "new" genuine recon one in with no
argument whatsoever.

Perhaps the most telling thing about mine was after buying a 2 year old
BMW from them - who they'd supplied and serviced from new - I thought the
handbrake poor. Not a big deal since it's an auto. But it did have a 100
and something point check, according to the blurb.

It failed its first MOT on the handbrake.

I decided to take a look. The adjuster on one side was jammed solid on the
back stop. Must have been like this from new - not seized through rust or
whatever, just so tight it wouldn't move. Removed it and put it in the
vice. Once started moving, it turned easily. On re-assembly, and trying to
adjust the shoes correctly, found the cable on that side wound up in an
attempt to compensate. Which is a nice easy adjustment to get at. Re-set
everything by the book and it was fine.

At each and every service, the brakes are meant to be checked. I'd also
asked for it to be fixed under warranty.

Just one of the many things with that dealer and the next one operating
out of the same premises. As soon as the BMW warranty ran out I used an
independant. Who is pretty good. Unusually.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.