Posted to uk.d-i-y
hugh hugh is offline

Default Purchasing a car (privately). Payment methods

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:43 +0100 Andy Champ wrote :
And I've never bought a new car. I rely on guys like you to take the
initial depreciation hit - thanks!

My last six cars in the UK were bought new and changed at 3 years. On
my Honda Jazz the cost to change (for an identical one) was £4500 - so
£1500pa. no MOT, repairs, tyres, battery or exhaust replacements and
very reasonable servicing. No hassle is worth paying for IMO.

That 1500 quid remained constant over 18 years? I find that hard to
believe.

However, many would prefer to spend the new cost of something like a Jazz
on a better secondhand car. Or buy one of your castoffs at a 4500 saving.
You can buy a lot of tyres etc for that.

Bought an ex-demonstrator Land Rover Defender last year. 3 months old 10
(ten) miles on the clock, never been out the showroom and saved about
£4.5K
--
hugh