Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone got a Flymo hover.

....... that actually picks grass up? Had my compact 330 model 3 years
now and have never seen more than a handful of grass in the box. Motor
turns the blade and fan, lid sealed, good dry grass worthy of a cut...
and nothing in the box but cuts the grass well.. If yours picks grass up
then what could possibly be the problem with mine.The other half said I
must go forward only..... still no difference when I do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Justine Time wrote:

...... that actually picks grass up? Had my compact 330 model 3 years
now and have never seen more than a handful of grass in the box.
Motor turns the blade and fan, lid sealed, good dry grass worthy of a
cut... and nothing in the box but cuts the grass well.. If yours
picks grass up then what could possibly be the problem with mine.The
other half said I must go forward only..... still no difference when
I do.

Have you replaced the blade the wrong way up?

Turns a hover into a rotavator ..

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Justine Time" wrote in message
...... that actually picks grass up? Had my compact 330 model 3 years now
and have never seen more than a handful of grass in the box. Motor turns
the blade and fan, lid sealed, good dry grass worthy of a cut... and
nothing in the box but cuts the grass well.. If yours picks grass up then
what could possibly be the problem with mine.The other half said I must go
forward only..... still no difference when I do.

I have one. Has always picked up no trouble.

All Picked Up and Compacted.

An Upside Down Blade also works. The Blade is designed to make the grass
stand up for cutting. The Fan behind creates the vacuum

The PickUp works like a vacuum cleaner and sucks up the cut grass at the
back.

Is the lid closing properly to make a seal, you should be able to feel the
vacuum.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2011 13:34, Justine Time wrote:
...... that actually picks grass up? Had my compact 330 model 3 years
now and have never seen more than a handful of grass in the box. Motor
turns the blade and fan, lid sealed, good dry grass worthy of a cut...
and nothing in the box but cuts the grass well.. If yours picks grass up
then what could possibly be the problem with mine.The other half said I
must go forward only..... still no difference when I do.

Are the vents clogged with grass clippings? Can you tell if there's any
'suck'? Or are you saying it was like this when brand new?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Justine Time" wrote in message
...... that actually picks grass up? Had my compact 330 model 3 years now
and have never seen more than a handful of grass in the box. Motor turns
the blade and fan, lid sealed, good dry grass worthy of a cut... and
nothing in the box but cuts the grass well.. If yours picks grass up then
what could possibly be the problem with mine.The other half said I must go
forward only..... still no difference when I do.

By any chance, is the bit that sucks, still have a bit of tape across it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:34:38 +0100, Justine Time wrote:

...... that actually picks grass up? Had my compact 330 model 3 years
now and have never seen more than a handful of grass in the box. Motor
turns the blade and fan, lid sealed, good dry grass worthy of a cut...
and nothing in the box but cuts the grass well.. If yours picks grass up
then what could possibly be the problem with mine.The other half said I
must go forward only..... still no difference when I do.

ours works fine - bit battered over 10 years old now
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2011 16:08, Lobster wrote:
On 29/06/2011 13:34, Justine Time wrote:
...... that actually picks grass up? Had my compact 330 model 3 years
now and have never seen more than a handful of grass in the box. Motor
turns the blade and fan, lid sealed, good dry grass worthy of a cut...
and nothing in the box but cuts the grass well.. If yours picks grass up
then what could possibly be the problem with mine.The other half said I
must go forward only..... still no difference when I do.

Are the vents clogged with grass clippings? Can you tell if there's any
'suck'? Or are you saying it was like this when brand new?

David

No nothings clogged including the plastic intake mesh. It hovers ok so
suppose that means the "suck" is ok.Lid seals perfect.On my hundred ish
metre lawn with a good 1" cut I get no more than half inch of grass at
the bottom of the basket..... never get more than that since purchase.
If the motor turns, the fan turns, sealed lid, beats me then why I don't
get any grass collected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2011 13:34, Justine Time wrote:
...... that actually picks grass up? Had my compact 330 model 3 years
now and have never seen more than a handful of grass in the box. Motor
turns the blade and fan, lid sealed, good dry grass worthy of a cut...
and nothing in the box but cuts the grass well.. If yours picks grass up
then what could possibly be the problem with mine.The other half said I
must go forward only..... still no difference when I do.

My 330 was the same, it would only pick up a very small amount of grass
no matter which way round the (new) blade was fitted so I changed it to
a mower with wheels which fills the grass box completely.

How can a mower that is designed to float on a cushion of air that must
be flowing towards the ground to create the cushion then cut grass that
must be flattened to the ground by the downward airflow.

My new Bosch mower mentions this in the sales blurb. This mower uses
wheels and a fan to suck the grass upwards before being cut and blown
into the grass box. This mower produces a vastly superior close cut than
the Flymo ever did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2011 09:16, Count de Monet wrote:
On 29/06/2011 13:34, Justine Time wrote:
...... that actually picks grass up?

How can a mower that is designed to float on a cushion of air that must
be flowing towards the ground to create the cushion then cut grass that
must be flattened to the ground by the downward airflow.

Understand that but if one has the problem then all should have
the problem yet some will say picks grass ok.... and compacts.I
shall lookaround for a wheeely mower for next season.Just thought,
maybe I have the wrong kind of grass/:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Count de Monet wrote:

My 330 was the same, it would only pick up a very small amount of grass
no matter which way round the (new) blade was fitted so I changed it to
a mower with wheels which fills the grass box completely.

How can a mower that is designed to float on a cushion of air that must
be flowing towards the ground to create the cushion then cut grass that
must be flattened to the ground by the downward airflow.

And then, whatever it has managed to cut, and blow downward
amongst the uncut grass, has to be sucked back up by the second
fan (i.e. not the blade), and blown into the grass box.

My new Bosch mower mentions this in the sales blurb. This mower uses
wheels and a fan to suck the grass upwards before being cut and blown
into the grass box. This mower produces a vastly superior close cut than
the Flymo ever did.

Absolutely! Basic physics ;-)

I have the Bosch Rotak 34, and find it very manoeuvrable on my
smallish lawns.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK