Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hover Mower Blade Removal

Hi, I've got a Black and Decker (approx. 20 years old) electric hover
mower with a metal blade that I want to remove as it has got badly
bent. However removing the blade is proving a little difficult.

The blade is held in place with a plastic (nylon?) bolt. I've tried
using the classic "Flymo" spanner (same size) on it but it broke (!).
Then I tried doing the same with an different spanner turning in a
clockwise direction. Logically, the bolt undoes clockwise, due the
direction of rotation of the motor, but I'm not sure if this is
actually the case. I didn't break a second spanner!

Then I tried mole grips on the bolt, and a length of scaffold pole
over the blade, and squeezed the two together. This resulted in the
blade turning on the shaft, and the bolt staying put.

What do you reckon I have to do to remove it? I am reluctant to wedge
anything in the motor itself, as the casing is plastic, and I suspect
it would just crack. I *could* try holding the plastic fan thing (I
believe it is known as an impellor) just under the blade, but this
doesn't look too strong either.

I'm thinking about just hacksawing off the bolt and dealing with the
aftermath later. What do you reckon?

Thanks

Luke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wingedcat wrote:

Hi, I've got a Black and Decker (approx. 20 years old) electric hover
mower with a metal blade that I want to remove as it has got badly
bent. However removing the blade is proving a little difficult.

The blade is held in place with a plastic (nylon?) bolt. I've tried
using the classic "Flymo" spanner (same size) on it but it broke (!).
Then I tried doing the same with an different spanner turning in a
clockwise direction. Logically, the bolt undoes clockwise, due the
direction of rotation of the motor, but I'm not sure if this is
actually the case. I didn't break a second spanner!

Then I tried mole grips on the bolt, and a length of scaffold pole
over the blade, and squeezed the two together. This resulted in the
blade turning on the shaft, and the bolt staying put.

What do you reckon I have to do to remove it?

Turn it the right way - which is anti-clockwise.

--
Krusty
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May, 09:42, Wingedcat wrote:
[...]

My Flymo undoes anticlockwise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wingedcat" wrote in message
[...]

There's a normal steel bolt head embedded in the nylon nut you describe, cut
the nylon away and use a normal ring spanner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 May 2009 01:42:45 -0700, Wingedcat wrote:

Logically, the bolt undoes clockwise, due the
direction of rotation of the motor, but I'm not sure if this is
actually the case.

Can't you see any of the threads in order to verify that?

I'm thinking about just hacksawing off the bolt and dealing with the
aftermath later. What do you reckon?

If the plastic bit is just covering a regular nut as someone else said,
ditch the plastic and then try heating the metal nut with a blowtorch;
sometimes doing so one one of two components that are stuck together can
work wonders...

(obviously heating the plastic nut won't get you very far

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 15, 12:39*pm, "Scabbydug" wrote:
"Wingedcat" wrote in message

[...]

the nylon away and use a normal ring spanner.- Hide quoted text -

Hmm yes but that won't help, as it will still end up rotating the
shaft as I have nothing to brace against.

See:

Then I tried mole grips on the bolt, and a length of scaffold pole
over the blade, and squeezed the two together. This resulted in the
blade turning on the shaft, and the bolt staying put.

I am able to rotate the bolt with mole grips, but have nothing to
counter-hold to prevent the motor from turning too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wingedcat" wrote

Hmm yes but that won't help, as it will still end up rotating the
shaft as I have nothing to brace against.

See:

Then I tried mole grips on the bolt, and a length of scaffold pole
over the blade, and squeezed the two together. This resulted in the
blade turning on the shaft, and the bolt staying put.

I am able to rotate the bolt with mole grips, but have nothing to
counter-hold to prevent the motor from turning too.

In these situations it is usual to try and use the inertia of the secured
object.
That is hit the free end of the spanner very sharply to undo the nut (making
absolutely sure you know which way "undo" is of course).
This becomes less effective as the stationary part becomes easier to turn
IYSWIM.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am able to rotate the bolt with mole grips, but have nothing to
counter-hold to prevent the motor from turning too.

The usual way round that is to hit the grips with a hammer, one short
sharp whack. Hopefully the thread turns faster than the motor for an
instant.
I'll add my hunch that it should go counter clockwise. I've never known
one that didn't, but maybe the manual will confirm that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wingedcat" wrote in message
[...]

Stand the unit on its side and use a wedge of wood between the blade and the
case or slide a tube over it and wedge it in the ground before undoing the
bolt in a normal direction

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May, 18:20, "R" wrote:
"Wingedcat" wrote in message

[...]

bolt in a normal direction- Hide quoted text -

No good because although the blade is held still in the manner you
describe, the bolt turns with the motor with the blade spinning on its
shaft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wingedcat wrote:
On 15 May, 18:20, "R" wrote:
"Wingedcat" wrote in message

[...]

As another poster said, hold the blade with whatever and whack the
spanner/mole grips with a heavy hammer, putting the mole grips/hammer
back into horiziontal position and you should get enough purchase to get
the fastener loose and out with a few whacks.

Being a mower, it is likely that there has been a build up of rust on
it. You could try using WD 40 on it 24 hours before though.

Have you got a paint sripper heat gun? You could try heating it up with
that until you smell the plastic? Try using that as well.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wingedcat" wrote in message

No good because although the blade is held still in the manner you
describe, the bolt turns with the motor with the blade spinning on its
shaft.

It sounds like you need is a 12v impact wrench, the sort sold for removing
car wheel studs, and appropriate socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wingedcat" wrote in message
On 15 May, 18:20, "R" wrote:
"Wingedcat" wrote in message

[...]

AH!,

So it's out out the angle grinder then

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May, 15:05, "R" wrote:
"Wingedcat" wrote in message

On 15 May, 18:20, "R" wrote:
"Wingedcat" wrote in message

[...]

So it's out out the angle grinder then- Hide quoted text -

Yep, that's what I did, literally, in the end. I cut off the plastic
(nylon) with a Stanley knife, ground off the bolt head with an angle
grinder, then could lift away the blade and the impellor. I actually
straightened out the blade and then sharpened it up withe the angle
grinder but the extremely friendly proprietor of the local "sells
absolutely everything" ironmonger persuaded me a new blade and a new
bolt. Put the whole lot back together and it's as good as new (I
hope!!!). Total cost £12.

Luke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wingedcat wrote:

Yep, that's what I did, literally, in the end. I cut off the plastic
(nylon) with a Stanley knife, ground off the bolt head with an angle
grinder, then could lift away the blade and the impellor. I actually
straightened out the blade and then sharpened it up withe the angle
grinder but the extremely friendly proprietor of the local "sells
absolutely everything" ironmonger persuaded me a new blade and a new
bolt. Put the whole lot back together and it's as good as new (I
hope!!!). Total cost £12.

Glad you managed it. Just for completeness, how did you remove
the remains of the previously stuck bolt in order to fit the new
one?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wingedcat" wrote in message

Yep, that's what I did, literally, in the end. I cut off the plastic
(nylon) with a Stanley knife, ground off the bolt head with an angle
grinder, then could lift away the blade and the impellor. I actually
straightened out the blade and then sharpened it up withe the angle
grinder

Don't risk using a straightened blade in the mower. I did that once for a
neighbour and the blade broke whilst in use, propelling the snapped off
straightened part through the plastic skirt, just missing her foot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 17, 7:30*am, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Wingedcat wrote:
Yep, that's what I did, literally, in the end. I cut off the plastic
(nylon) with a Stanley knife, ground off the bolt head with an angle
grinder, then could lift away the blade and the impellor. I actually
straightened out the blade and then sharpened it up withe the angle
grinder but the extremely friendly proprietor of the local "sells
absolutely everything" ironmonger persuaded me a new blade and a new
bolt. Put the whole lot back together and it's as good as new (I
hope!!!). Total cost £12.

Glad you managed it. *Just for completeness, how did you remove
the remains of the previously stuck bolt in order to fit the new
one?

Chris
--

AH! Well, once I had "released the pressure" so to speak (by cutting
away the head of the bolt), I was able to hold the impeller with my

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wingedcat wrote:
[...]

In which direction? :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SNIP TALE OF BOLT REMOVAL

Put the whole lot back together and it's as good as new (I
hope!!!). Total cost £12.
Glad you managed it. *Just for completeness, how did you remove

the remains of the previously stuck bolt in order to fit the new
one?

Chris
--

AH! Well, once I had "released the pressure" so to speak (by cutting
away the head of the bolt), I was able to hold the impeller with my
bare hands and turn the remains with a pair of mole grips fairly
easily.

In which direction? :-)

Anti-clockwise! (as I think others may have suggested). Some websites,
mostly American, suggested LH thread was a possibility, but in the end
no, it was standard anti-clockwise to undo.

Luke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After battling for 3 days with the stupid Flymo spammer,
I eventually put the machine upside down in the sun
Then sprayed it liberally with yet more WD40. Then
I chocked the blade with a big chunk of wood, and got
The longest bar-clamp I have (about 1m). After an hour
In the sun I used the clamp as a spanner, and it came
Off without effort.
Greg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

After battling for 3 days with the stupid Flymo spammer,
I eventually put the machine upside down in the sun
Then sprayed it liberally with yet more WD40. Then
I chocked the blade with a big chunk of wood, and got
The longest bar-clamp I have (about 1m). After an hour
In the sun I used the clamp as a spanner, and it came
Off without effort.

Why are you mowing in the depths of winter ?

Is your lawn in a greenhouse ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 May 2009 09:55:05 UTC+1, Preston wrote:
Wingedcat wrote:

[...]

Krusty is correct. But when you know this you have not yet completely solved the problem. The blade has to be rock solid to undo the nylon nut. To do this jam a short beefy piece of timber (say 70 mm square x about 18 cm long between the end of the blade and the inside of the plastic frame of the mower to prevent the blade turning anti-clockwise. Then use an adjustable spanner to to turn the nut anti-clockwise. Job done.

AJKM
Somewhere in France
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This was one reason I got rid of the bloody hover when I could see to mow
the lawn. Who designs these things.
Brian

--
----- -