Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default a sign my lawn mower blade is getting dull?

On May 23, 9:27*am, Joe wrote:
I noticed that after I cut my grass last week my lawn had a brown
sunburned tint to it. Upon closer inspection the very top of many of
the individual blades turned brown where they were cut. Just wondering
if that means my blade is not making a clean enough cut.

That may not be the primary problem. Talk to a qualified expert in
your area, a university ag department for example or farm service
organization. There are many lawn grass problems rangng from trivial
to fatal that your local experts can help you with. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 2:08*pm, Joe wrote:
On May 23, 9:27*am, Joe wrote:

I noticed that after I cut my grass last week my lawn had a brown
sunburned tint to it. Upon closer inspection the very top of many of
the individual blades turned brown where they were cut. Just wondering
if that means my blade is not making a clean enough cut.

That may not be the primary problem. Talk to a qualified expert in
your area, a university ag department for example or farm service
organization. There are many lawn grass problems rangng from trivial
to fatal that your local experts can help you with. Good luck.

Joe

Aside from looking at the grass tips, did you look at the mower
blade? When was the last time it was sharpened?
A dull blade will cause more damage, because it shreds the leaf tips
instead of cutting it cleanly. IMO, the easiest way to sharpen it is
to use a hand held angle grinder. Takes just a few minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
IMO, the easiest way to sharpen it is
to use a hand held angle grinder. Takes just a few minutes.

**************************

I use a belt sander, but not everyone has one available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:fPUZj.1067$xZ.270
@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

wrote in message
IMO, the easiest way to sharpen it is
to use a hand held angle grinder. Takes just a few minutes.

**************************

I use a belt sander, but not everyone has one available.

Never thought of that Edwin. Flat and wide. Thanks!

Aluminum Oxide belt?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
How do you check balance?

--

I put it on a dowel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
How do you check balance?

--

I put it on a dowel.

So static balance is good enough for a lawnmower blade?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
How do you check balance?

--

I put it on a dowel.

So static balance is good enough for a lawnmower blade?

It always has been for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
How do you check balance?

--
I put it on a dowel.

So static balance is good enough for a lawnmower blade?

It always has been for me.

99% of the time, I would agree. But in addition to the static balance,
you should also eyeball it to see if it is bent, similar to a ceiling
fan with one blade cocked upward or downward. That puts all sorts of odd
stresses on the shaft from the engine. Kinda hard to do with only 2
blades sticking out from the pivot point, I realize. If the blade has a
flat plane along it, you can use a straightedge, otherwise you will have
to trust your eyes, or maybe rig up an arbor of sorts with a long bolt,
washers, and a vise or something, so you can spin it by hand and observe
it. A simple way would be to spend the 10-15 bucks for a spare blade,
and use that as a reference- compare them side by side, and any damage
will be obvious. If the original shows ever shows damage beyond your
blacksmithing skills, pitch it and install the spare, and add a new
spare to your shopping list. You'll need a new one at some point anyway,
so it is good to have a spare on hand, in case the model for your mower
gets hard to find.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Lay blade on flat surface....

That doesn't tell you if the hole for the mounting bolt is perpendicular
to the flat surface. If you have some experience, an eyeball check like
that may be good enough, but for most people, unless it is grossly out
of line, they will never spot it.

For most people, if the mower is making horrible noises or scalping the
grass, the cheapest fastest solution is to go buy a new blade.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Lay blade on flat surface....

That doesn't tell you if the hole for the mounting bolt is perpendicular
to the flat surface.

Put bolt through hole, lay blade on bolt head on flat surface.

--
"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes
- and I see many of them in the audience here today - our sense of patriotism