Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mower blade problem

There was a weird sound coming from my riding mower the other day, so I
decided to check it out and change the blades in the process. This is
a mower that I inherited with my house (Craftsman DLT2000), so I don't
have the manual.

One of the blades changed fine... the other one has a pretty big issue.
First, it appears that the metal star shaped piece that the blade is
supposed to fit into before being screwed in has been ground down
completely. This is what the horrible noise was... the blade was
flopping around without being firmly attached to the drive.

Anyway, anyone have advice on how to attach the blade to the drive
shaft outside of buying a new drive part? Is it possible to drill two
more small holes in the blade and the drive to attach two more bolts to
firm up the connection? Or can I use some special thicker washer to
make it stay in position?

Last time I ordered a part from sears it was a nightmare, so I'd rather
fix it on my own if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

wrote:
[...]

The mower is most likely model number 917.272263 and you probably need
to replace part # 174360. I've always had good luck with sears when
ordering parts maybe your last time was a fluke.

I would call 1-800-252-1698 and have the part delivered to a local
sears store or parts outlet. If you do it that way you don't pay
shipping and can refuse the part if it is wrong when you go to pick it
up.

If you want to do it online go to
http://www3.sears.com/

I doubt you can fix the mower without replacing the shaft.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimi

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hello,

You don't need to deal with Craftsman regarding the parts. The drive
part can be bought at a generic lawn mower supply center... I had a
Craftsman with the same problem and the drive part mentiioned is about 5-10
bucks at Princess Auto (Canada here).....you just need to know the shaft
size....best to just bring in the old part with you...Hope that was of some
help....Jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had no idea the Sears online system was that good. Thanks guys!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 23 Jun 2006 07:29:37 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

I would call 1-800-252-1698 and have the part delivered to a local
sears store or parts outlet. If you do it that way you don't pay
shipping and can refuse the part if it is wrong when you go to pick it
up.

Not home *repair* but my brother got me a birthday present from

Brookstone (not an endorsement)

and when I wanted to exchange it for something I wanted, the only
thing I could find was Web/MailOrder only, and when I asked if I could
deliver it to the store, they said yes. Later, when I actually went
to order it**, they told me it was $12 shipping TO the STORE, same as
to my house.

So, there's a big difference between hardware and overpriced gifts,
but I hope shipping to the store remains free everywhere it is free
now, including other gift stores.

I pointed out that no one else charges for shipping to the store, but
he didn't care, and I might be wrong about nobody else. I pointed out
that they get shipments every week from the same place my order was
coming from and it costs them practically nothing to include another 1
pound item, but they seemed to have the notion that all shipping
should be calculated individually at rates comparable to $12, and the
cost of shipping regular stock to their store was not something they
thought about.

The manager said years ago they delivered for free to the store, but
no one was having things delivered to their homes because of that. So
what's wrong with that? Obviously, they didn't want to pay for
shipping when the store gets shipments every week anyhow. Even if it
isn't for a month, I would wait a month. Bah, bah, bad Brookstone.

**I didn't really want it either but I had to use up the money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok, I ordered and received the new part. I got the mower deck assembly
off (which I can tell is going to be a real B$TCH to get back on).

There is a bolt on the top of the mandrel that holds the belt pulley in
place and I assume secures the mandrel into position as well. The
problem is that this bolt is on there REAL tight and the current
mandrel spins when I try to remove it. I can't grab it with enough
leverage, no matter what tool I use, to hold the mandrel in place and
get the bolt off. Any thoughts on a method to keep the thing from
spinning so that i can really put some muscle into the bolt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any suggestions for a guy with normal tools? =) I've been meaning
to buy a small torch... perhaps this is the opportunity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky sky is offline

Two large pipe wrenches....going in the opposit directions......with 1"
pipe.. leverage bars.
Stubby's heat tricks, 'a good idea too....forgot 'bout that
one...........
Could also put a clamp on mandrel, under deck and wedge it with a
2x4....have any big rocks in your yard?
Use your imagination.......instead of just hanging your hat on it.
wrote:
Any suggestions for a guy with normal tools? =) I've been meaning
to buy a small torch... perhaps this is the opportunity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky sky is offline

Try taking it .....THE DECK......to the garage that works on your car,
If he doesn't want to touch it he might stear you to someone who will.
Networks..........It's all about Networks........
wrote:
Any suggestions for a guy with normal tools? =) I've been meaning
to buy a small torch... perhaps this is the opportunity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be careful about pipe wrenches on the mandrels. At least on my old
Sears mower the blade is held in a fixture attached to a cup that covers
the bottom of the mandrel. The cup serves to keep dirt out of the
bearing. You would be tempted to put a wrench on the cup, but it won't
take the strain!

But using the blade(s) still in place and having a socket wrench on the
center bolt, should be able to get it apart. Now, if you need more
torque, slip a piece of iron pipe (black) over the socket wrench to give
it a longer handle.

Things are a bit different when you try to mow a large rock and break a
mandrel. A local welding shop tried to help but in the end I had to
purchase a new one for $85. And I was able to find a Sears parts store
that had some in stock!

wrote:
Any suggestions for a guy with normal tools? =) I've been meaning
to buy a small torch... perhaps this is the opportunity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vise grips. Pipe wrench.

If it's a walking mower, extend the handle of the pipe wrench out the
chute where the grass exits. 18 inch pipe wrench will help

Good luck. Please let us know what worked.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, I ordered and received the new part. I got the mower deck
assembly
off (which I can tell is going to be a real B$TCH to get back on).

There is a bolt on the top of the mandrel that holds the belt pulley
in
place and I assume secures the mandrel into position as well. The
problem is that this bolt is on there REAL tight and the current
mandrel spins when I try to remove it. I can't grab it with enough
leverage, no matter what tool I use, to hold the mandrel in place and
get the bolt off. Any thoughts on a method to keep the thing from
spinning so that i can really put some muscle into the bolt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes car repair garage guys like a little variety. Like the guys
on alt.hvac, when they get tired of abusing home owners, they flame
each other.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.