Mike Ballard

Default Blade burning problem

Hi -

I have a 14" closed-base Jet bs (bought a few years ago), cool blocks, no
riser. Pulley belt is properly tensioned. I have a 1/2" (6 tpi I think)
Suffolk blade. I have no idea how much wood I've cut with the blade but
haven't used the saw for a number of months and don't remember if this has
been a problem before - very strong burnt wood smell when cutting.
Doesn't matter if it's 3" maple, 1" walnut, 3/4" birch ply. I could be
wrong but I think I have to be cutting something for at least an inch or
so before the burning wood smell starts.

I thought maybe the blade needed a good cleaning so gave it a couple apps
of cleaning spray (the stuff you'd use on router bits). Still smell
burning wood. I cut no slower than I ever have; tried speeding up some
but doesn't seem to help.

So I took it off and put on the blade Jet includes with the saw which I've
only used a couple times. Same problem. So I'm guessing it's a feed rate
problem but AFAICT I'm cutting no more slowly than I ever have. The Jet
blade's tips definitely feel sharper than the Suffolk's (so I don't know
if that means it's time to replace the Suffolk). Besides feeding too
slow, what else would cause the burning wood smell? Just a dull blade?
Or could there be some sort of adjustment problem? Also, is there some
visual test for a blade that's worn out (besides no teeth)?

Mike
--

mikeballard at symbol verizon period net

"If your main parachute fouls, deploy your reserve. If your reserve is
also fouled, you have the rest of your life to get it straightened out."

Dave W

Hi Mike,
Sounds like a dull blade. Do you have kids, especially sons? All it
takes is a second of cutting a nail and the blade is .....well, it burns
wood.
Dave

"Mike Ballard" wrote in message

[...]

mttt

"Mike Ballard" wrote in message

I have a 14" closed-base Jet bs (bought a few years ago), cool blocks, no
riser.

Ditto.

I have a 1/2" (6 tpi I think) Suffolk blade.

Mine was 3tpi from Suffolk.

blade's tips definitely feel sharper than the Suffolk's (so I don't know
if that means it's time to replace the Suffolk).

I happened to have a 1/2" WoodSlicer available, when I was having trouble.
Things improved greatly with a new blade. Dunno what to expect on BS blade
life either, but cutting got substantially easier when I swapped in a new
blade.

Rich

Also, is there some visual test for a blade that's worn out (besides no

teeth)?

No its the smell check. If it smells burnt than your blade is. lol.

Actually if your factory Jet blade is sharper than your suffolk blade than
suffolk forgot to put teeth on their blade!

All in fun!

Rich

Nova

Mike Ballard wrote:

Hi -

I have a 14" closed-base Jet bs (bought a few years ago), cool blocks, no
riser. Pulley belt is properly tensioned. I have a 1/2" (6 tpi I think)
Suffolk blade. I have no idea how much wood I've cut with the blade but
haven't used the saw for a number of months and don't remember if this has
been a problem before - very strong burnt wood smell when cutting.
Doesn't matter if it's 3" maple, 1" walnut, 3/4" birch ply. I could be
wrong but I think I have to be cutting something for at least an inch or
so before the burning wood smell starts.

Are you making a straight cut or cutting a radius? If it's a radius is perhaps
the 1/2" blade too wide for the radius being cut, where the back of the blade
is binding in the kerf?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Max Mahanke

Its not unusual for a bandsaw blade to go from sharp to dull very quickly.
As they get dull they heat up and the heat finishes the job. The Jet rep I
deal with recommends Timberwolf blades.

"Rich" wrote in message
. ..

Also, is there some visual test for a blade that's worn out (besides no

teeth)?

No its the smell check. If it smells burnt than your blade is. lol.

Actually if your factory Jet blade is sharper than your suffolk blade than
suffolk forgot to put teeth on their blade!

All in fun!

Rich

Mike Ballard

On Tue May 25, Dave W disturbed my nap when he said:

Hi Mike,
Sounds like a dull blade. Do you have kids, especially sons? All it
takes is a second of cutting a nail and the blade is .....well, it burns
wood.
Dave

(nope, I'm the only kid around here). Thanks all.

Are Suffolk still the bs blade of choice? I browsed a FWW article
recently although not in-depth but put more stock in what people are
consistently getting value from over the long haul.

Mike