Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimi

Default Mower blade problem

wrote in message
ups.com...
There was a weird sound coming from my riding mower the other day, so I
decided to check it out and change the blades in the process. This is
a mower that I inherited with my house (Craftsman DLT2000), so I don't
have the manual.

One of the blades changed fine... the other one has a pretty big issue.
First, it appears that the metal star shaped piece that the blade is
supposed to fit into before being screwed in has been ground down
completely. This is what the horrible noise was... the blade was
flopping around without being firmly attached to the drive.

Anyway, anyone have advice on how to attach the blade to the drive
shaft outside of buying a new drive part? Is it possible to drill two
more small holes in the blade and the drive to attach two more bolts to
firm up the connection? Or can I use some special thicker washer to
make it stay in position?

Last time I ordered a part from sears it was a nightmare, so I'd rather
fix it on my own if possible.

Hello,

You don't need to deal with Craftsman regarding the parts. The drive
part can be bought at a generic lawn mower supply center... I had a
Craftsman with the same problem and the drive part mentiioned is about 5-10
bucks at Princess Auto (Canada here).....you just need to know the shaft
size....best to just bring in the old part with you...Hope that was of some
help....Jimi