Default Which Flymo

Hi there

I need a new mower and only have a small lawn, about 3 metres by 7. A
fair amount is covered by a climbing frame, although the grass does
grow under that.

My question is this, having decided to go for a rotary mower, should I
go for a hover, or one with a roller. I do like stripes, but are the
wheeled mowers too annoying to manouvre around the climbing frame

There are some good flymo offers on at the moment, I am looking at
either this

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...mber=3D7303133

or this

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...mber=3D7303274

Cheers=20
Ed

Malcolm Stewart

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi there
I need a new mower and only have a small lawn, about 3 metres by 7. A
fair amount is covered by a climbing frame, although the grass does
grow under that.
My question is this, having decided to go for a rotary mower, should I
go for a hover, or one with a roller. I do like stripes, but are the
wheeled mowers too annoying to manouvre around the climbing frame
There are some good flymo offers on at the moment, I am looking at
either this
http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...Number=7303133
or this
http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...Number=7303274
Cheers
Ed

-----------------------------------
Ed,
Your links didn't work just now.
However, I bought a new Flymo Hover type grass cutter about a year ago, and
for my way of using it, it was important that the cutting blade was metal.
I found that the real cheapy types had a plastic blade - no use in my
opinion for dealing with minor (and not so minor) shrubs at the edge of the
grass.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Thanks Malcolm

I think google has broken my links, these are the two...

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...Number=7303133

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...Number=7303274

AnthB

We bought the 350ex as it was a good deal compared to everywhere else.
Flymo seem to have a strange range at the mo in that they seem to cater
for the very large gardens (and likewise the cost goes up) but the
choice for small/medium gardens seems limited.

Not having had a lawn or a lawn mower for a very long time I was
surprise to find out that

a: quite a bit of the grass gets left on the lawn (where it had to stay
as I don't have a rake)
b: what isn't on the lawn or in the mower is actually all over the
mower especially where the base curls up and in various nooks and
crannies which resulted in a lot of huffing and puffing and mumbling to
myself when I found out I had to actually clean it after use!

Wether it's by design or my hoovering style of mowing I don't know.

It was a laugh watching the other half trying to start it this weekend
though as she didn't realise you had to pull a lever and press the
button. I bet she didn't clean it when she'd finished either.

Thanks!

When you say 'quite a bit of grass is left', is it noticeable? I alredy
have a small flymo (with poxy plastic blades that keep breaking), so if
this leaves grass on the lawn too there is little point me upgrading

cheers
Ed

Trouble is I have a shingle/loose stone path, so the second a cat or
fox or even a son kicks a stone onto the lawn and it gets between the
blade and the cutting edge the cut is ruined. Must have a rotary I am
afraid

Chris Bacon

Thanks Malcolm
I think google has broken my links, these are the two...

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...Number=7303133

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...Number=7303274

Oh, Gawd. No. 1 looks very much like the one I had experience
of. Seriously, the air was *blue*, every single time I used it.
Grass builds up underneath the thing, and further reduces its
efficiency. The grass box is small, and despite claims made,
needs emptying frequently, *and* you need to lift the flimsy
lid up to see what's happening. It's heavy and awkward to
manoevre (ISTR there are wheels at the back, it's not a true
"hover" mainly 'cos it's so lbeeding heavy. It does not cut
grass longer than 1/2" on a dead flat and smooth surface at
all well. It's a big heavy lump of awkward plastic. The on/off
switch is a complete PITA. The grass box is awkward to put in,
it can get stuck at an angle, and the lid won't go down, and
you have to fiddle about with the lbooydy stupid thing. It's
heavy and awkward to manoevre - did I already mention that?
That lbooyd switch, too, did I mention it? Flippin' heck, now
I'm feeling *very* thirsty. Try cuting your lawn with nail-
scissors, then going over it with a cold domestic iron to get
stripes, it'll be *far* less frustrating. Flymo compact, indeed,
absolute abstrads. Get a Performance Power Electric Cylinder
Mower PWR600CMA from B&Q or a similar offering from anywhere
else, these will be far better than the *things* you mention.
No, just don't do it. Abstrads, abstrads. Get out the nail
scissors and cold flatiron, that's a major step up. Grrrr.

AnthB

Yep there's enough left on the lawn that makes me want to give it a
rake. Just haven't been to B&Q for one yet.

It might just be my luck of the draw though. Naff mower? Funny grass?
Not mowing right?

The upside is that it survived mowing a cherry tree root that we didn't
know was there.

Alan

Hi,

Only buy a hover mower if you actually need one - i.e. if you have
slopes.
I don't think that you will find any problems with maneuvering a roller
rotary.

I occasionally work in a lawnmower repair shop and we think Flymo are
c**p.
One feature you want is an induction motor and I don't think the
particular model has one so I would therefore avoid both machines you
are thinking about.

The best machine of that ilk is the Mountfield Princess but that may be
a bit too expensive for you (but it will last many many years unlike
the Flymo) You can also buy cheaper machines made by an Italian company
called Castel under various brands.

I can't advise you strongly enough to go to an independent mower shop
(one which repairs as well) and get some good advice. Prices will be
competitive and you get the bonus of after sales service and
satisfaction of supporting your local business.

Another poster suggests buying a cylinder mower. They certainly make a
better job of cutting grass but if you have a gravel driveway or kids
then you are guaranteed to get stones or something jammed between the
blades and therefore constant repairs and maintenance. The Qualcast
cylinder mower is a good enough wee machine.

A roller mower should be OK for moss, hover mowers are the worst
because they float over moss instead of cutting it.

Alan.

Chris Bacon

AnthB wrote:
We bought the 350ex

Oh, God, I am so very sorry. Please accept my condolences, and these
six tins (13 1/2% extra free) of Carlsberg Special Brew. If you've
a spare rusty shovel you can bite down on, you may find it helps.
AnthB

Actually thats why we got ours, the back garden slopes upwards and from
left to right so all recomendations pointed to a hover mower.

As Chris Bacon says though it can be a bugger to manouver around and I
still wonder if I'd've been any worse off buying a "normal" mower.

[news]

Chris Bacon wrote:
AnthB wrote:
We bought the 350ex

Oh, God, I am so very sorry. Please accept my condolences, and these
six tins (13 1/2% extra free) of Carlsberg Special Brew.

top prize. good enough for winston churchill, good enough for anyone.

RT

I heard the other day that Tennents are no longer making the brew of
choice for tramps, Tennents Super.

What are we to do now? Back to the sherry!

Cheers

It is quite large stones, about the size of 50p pieces. I did post on
uk rec gardening but no-one replied :-(

Toolmaker

wrote

When you say 'quite a bit of grass is left', is it noticeable? I alredy
have a small flymo (with poxy plastic blades that keep breaking), so if
this leaves grass on the lawn too there is little point me upgrading

All the Hover-collect mowers leave a 'snail trail' down one side of the
mower. A rotary (wheeled) mower will collect much more of the cuttings

HTH

[news]

Toolmaker wrote:
wrote

When you say 'quite a bit of grass is left', is it noticeable? I alredy
have a small flymo (with poxy plastic blades that keep breaking), so if
this leaves grass on the lawn too there is little point me upgrading

All the Hover-collect mowers leave a 'snail trail' down one side of the
mower. A rotary (wheeled) mower will collect much more of the cuttings

HTH

point of order:

hover mowers are rotary mowers, the rotary blades spin on a shaft mounted
on a vertical axis to create the downdraught for the hover effect.

mowers with wheels and a roller tend to be cylinder mowers, with the cylinder
mounted on a horizontal axis

RT

Chris Bacon

Someone wrote that, but outbound e-mail doesn't work a cest mo:

Take it you dont like flymos chris?!

It's just the "compact" one - I've no experience with others,
except old simple motor-on-deck hovvers without grass
collection...

am wary of 'own
brand' which Performance Power are. Having said that the
circular saw i got off them 2 years ago is still working!

I bought a PP one, but "it wasn't liked", so had to go back to
be exchanged (+ extra cash which I *could* have spent on beer!)
for the "pants" mower I've alluded to, which had the advantage
of being "cool-looking" and "much more like it". Yeah, right.
Gimme PP and a receipt to keep, I've used one of these (wheeled
rotary) & it was fine; if it blows up, take it back.
Chris J Dixon

[news] wrote:

Toolmaker wrote:
wrote

When you say 'quite a bit of grass is left', is it noticeable? I alredy
have a small flymo (with poxy plastic blades that keep breaking), so if
this leaves grass on the lawn too there is little point me upgrading

All the Hover-collect mowers leave a 'snail trail' down one side of the
mower. A rotary (wheeled) mower will collect much more of the cuttings

point of order:

hover mowers are rotary mowers, the rotary blades spin on a shaft mounted
on a vertical axis to create the downdraught for the hover effect.

mowers with wheels and a roller tend to be cylinder mowers, with the cylinder
mounted on a horizontal axis

Not so I'm afraid. The big difference between hover and wheeled
rotary mowers is the direction of airflow. With hovers,
naturally. they blow downwards, and then a second fan, on the
same shaft, hidden within the plastic casing, has to try and suck
up the grass off the ground.

Wheeled rotary mowers arrange the airflow to be upwards carrying
the grass straight into the grass box.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Toolmaker

"[news]" wrote
point of order:

hover mowers are rotary mowers, the rotary blades spin on a shaft mounted
on a vertical axis to create the downdraught for the hover effect.

mowers with wheels and a roller tend to be cylinder mowers, with the
cylinder
mounted on a horizontal axis

I surrender !

Yes, OK, a rotary mower with wheels will collect better than a hover mower.
It is often a more practical option than a cylinder mower, although these
also collect well.

Toolmaker

"Alan" wrote
One feature you want is an induction motor and I don't think the
particular model has one so I would therefore avoid both machines you
are thinking about.

Almost all the wheeled rotary mowers on the market have induction motors
(even the cheap ones). Almost all hover mowers use universal motors (for
weight saving reasons). An induction motor should last longer, as there are
no brushes or commutator to wear.

[news]

Chris J Dixon wrote:
[news] wrote:

Toolmaker wrote:
wrote

When you say 'quite a bit of grass is left', is it noticeable? I alredy
have a small flymo (with poxy plastic blades that keep breaking), so if
this leaves grass on the lawn too there is little point me upgrading

All the Hover-collect mowers leave a 'snail trail' down one side of the
mower. A rotary (wheeled) mower will collect much more of the cuttings

point of order:

hover mowers are rotary mowers, the rotary blades spin on a shaft mounted
on a vertical axis to create the downdraught for the hover effect.

mowers with wheels and a roller tend to be cylinder mowers, with the cylinder
mounted on a horizontal axis

Not so I'm afraid.

FACT

airflow is a secondary issue after cylinder/rotary

RT

RedOnRed

I've had both hover and wheeled rotary. The hover is slightly better for
irregular shaped lawns, but remember, the more they fill up the more they
lose their hover anyway.

I'd go for a wheeled rotary with a roller on the back. That way you get the
stripes as well.

Funnily enough, I need a new mower myself after my Flymo's given up after
just 6 years. At Homebase tomorrow (29/04/05) they have 10% off day and
already have some great prices on Qualcasts. I'm planning on getting a
Qualcast Power-Trak 4000 @ £98. It's £149 most other places.

RedOnRed

All the Hover-collect mowers leave a 'snail trail' down one side of the
mower. A rotary (wheeled) mower will collect much more of the cuttings

The hovers only leave a "snail trail" when the grass collector bin starts
getting full, or the blades start getting clogged with wet grass.

In dry grass cutting conditions, say mid-summer, none of that would apply
providing the collector is cleared.

Chris Bacon

D wrote:
If you only have 7 x 3m get a handpush cylinder mower

Absolutely!

40cm cutting width. Large, easily adjustable height setting.

Nice & wide...

No cables to cut and electrocute yourself with

Yes, quite - not to mention the hassle...

and it doesn't annoy the neighbours quite as much.

There is a great deal to be said for this.

However, people don't seem to realise that these are viable! Also,
of course, they don't "look the part" (ptooi!).
Toolmaker

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
The hovers only leave a "snail trail" when the grass collector bin starts
getting full, or the blades start getting clogged with wet grass.

In dry grass cutting conditions, say mid-summer, none of that would apply
providing the collector is cleared.

IME, they always spill more than a non-hover mower. Wet conditions just
makes them *really* terrible, and clearly if the collector is full, it is
difficult for them to do anything but spill

Ed B

So to put you all out of your misery, i went for this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...mber=3D7303274

except I got it at B&Q, as it was over =A320 cheaper. Has a roller for
stripes, wheeled not a hover so the grass comes up, and Flymo, so it
lasts at least 6 weeks!

Will keep you posted if it goes pop, but my first flymo (very mini
hover) which is over 10 years old now is still going strong.

Chris Bacon

Ed B wrote:
So to put you all out of your misery, i went for this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...Number=7303274

except I got it at B&Q, as it was over £20 cheaper. Has a roller for
stripes, wheeled not a hover so the grass comes up, and Flymo, so it
lasts at least 6 weeks!

Will keep you posted if it goes pop, but my first flymo (very mini
hover) which is over 10 years old now is still going strong.

At least it's a POS on wheels. Now, who can tell me how to buy shares
in Carlsberg-Tetley? Their price is due for a rise....
RedOnRed

"Ed B" wrote in message
oups.com...
So to put you all out of your misery, i went for this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDispla...Number=7303274

except I got it at B&Q, as it was over £20 cheaper. Has a roller for
stripes, wheeled not a hover so the grass comes up, and Flymo, so it
lasts at least 6 weeks!

This is the one i'm going for...

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...clickfrom=name

But i'll be getting it from Homebase at £98.

Ed B

I looked at that - it's quite a beast compared to my flymo. How come
it is so much cheaper at homebase?

Oddly enough Argos are running homebase's online shop now - had you
noticed the pages are the same? Not sure if the stores are still part
of Sainsbury's or not.

RedOnRed

"Ed B" wrote in message
ups.com...
I looked at that - it's quite a beast compared to my flymo. How come
it is so much cheaper at homebase?

Oddly enough Argos are running homebase's online shop now - had you
noticed the pages are the same? Not sure if the stores are still part
of Sainsbury's or not.

I got one last night (Thurs, still 10% off after 18:00hrs) and it is a bit
of a beast! It's supposed to fly through long grass.

Homebase had it at £109 and then another 10% off today/last night. Dunno
why. It cost me about £98, when it's £140 most other places.

Qualcast are now owned by Bosch and have Bosch engines. It comes with a nice
5 year parts guarantee.

Ed B wrote:
I looked at that - it's quite a beast compared to my flymo. How come
it is so much cheaper at homebase?

Oddly enough Argos are running homebase's online shop now - had you
noticed the pages are the same? Not sure if the stores are still part
of Sainsbury's or not.

Sainsburys sold Homebase a couple of years ago.

--
Chris Green
Toolmaker

"Ed B" wrote
Oddly enough Argos are running homebase's online shop now - had you
noticed the pages are the same? Not sure if the stores are still part
of Sainsbury's or not.

No surprise there, Homebase are owned by Argos

RedOnRed

"Toolmaker" wrote in message
"Ed B" wrote
Oddly enough Argos are running homebase's online shop now - had you
noticed the pages are the same? Not sure if the stores are still part
of Sainsbury's or not.

No surprise there, Homebase are owned by Argos

That would explain why their prices are now very competitive to the point
that Wickes (with many of its substandard products) is now almost out of the
equation.