Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting with a Roller - History (OT ish)

Just doing a spot of painting and remembered that my parents used a roller
for the first time in around 1960. It made me wonder - when were paint
rollers introduced and when did they get into common usage? Perhaps the old
"distempers" were not very 'roller-friendly'.

Remember some of the old names Walpamur, Jellipex,
Brolac.........................

Regards

John Plant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 1, 3:51*pm, "DerbyBoy" No-one wrote:
Just doing a spot of painting and remembered that my parents used a roller
for the first time in around 1960. It made me wonder - when were paint
rollers introduced and when did they get into common usage? Perhaps the old
"distempers" were not very 'roller-friendly'.

Remember some of the old names Walpamur, Jellipex,
Brolac.........................

Regards

John Plant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_roller
invented 1940
Still got some brolac somewhere

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2011 17:33, Tabby wrote:
On Jun 1, 3:51 pm, "DerbyBoy"No-one wrote:
Just doing a spot of painting and remembered that my parents used a roller
for the first time in around 1960. It made me wonder - when were paint
rollers introduced and when did they get into common usage? Perhaps the old
"distempers" were not very 'roller-friendly'.

Remember some of the old names Walpamur, Jellipex,
Brolac.........................

Regards

John Plant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_roller
invented 1940
Still got some brolac somewhere

NT

My parents had a spray painting attachment for the vacuuum cleaner! You
took the hose off one end, put it on the other so that it was blowing
and attached the spray painting unit - it was totally useless though.

They also had one of those wallpaper pasting machines. That was a little
more successful, but took way too much cleaning up and had a habit of
popping the rollers out mid-way through.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
My parents had a spray painting attachment for the vacuuum cleaner! You
took the hose off one end, put it on the other so that it was blowing
and attached the spray painting unit - it was totally useless though.

Wonderful for that loverly veneer of dust and paint specks

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 09:33:24 -0700 (PDT), Tabby
wrote:

Still got some brolac somewhere

It only went off sale just over five years ago when it was replaced by
Macphersons, which was/is actually the same paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 June 2011 at 21:41:46 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
"DerbyBoy" No-one wrote in message ...
Just doing a spot of painting and remembered that my parents used a roller for the first time in around 1960. It made me wonder -
when were paint rollers introduced and when did they get into common usage? Perhaps the old "distempers" were not very
'roller-friendly'.

Remember some of the old names Walpamur, Jellipex, Brolac.........................

Regards

John Plant

# Non-drip Jellipex, makes good painting easy...#
# Hadrian, Hadrian the deep gloss paint, for a really professional finish, use Hadrian.#
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 15:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I guess its better than rolling with a painter?

We had a roller in 1956, in a flat we had in Wandsworth, but it was pretty
crude made of cheapo plastic foam and on ceilings, according to my dad, I
was only 6 at the time, left big bits unpainted and could not be cleaned. A
waste of money.
Brian

Just bung paint rollers in the washing machine on a cold wash and they
clean up nicely (assuming water based paints).

I forget which of the varied paints I've used during lockdown caused the
problem but one of them destroyed foam rollers. OK for around 10 minutes
use but then the roller started reducing rapidly in diameter as the foam
disappeared.

roller for painting artex? Janet Tweedy UK diy 7 January 8th 08 11:39 PM
Roller Painting - edges John UK diy 1 November 24th 07 10:51 PM
roller brushes for painting Eigenvector Home Repair 3 October 1st 06 09:54 PM
Anyone try spray painting instead of roller and brush Farouq UK diy 12 December 13th 05 12:37 AM
painting Gloss With A Roller.Pt2 Stuart UK diy 3 September 26th 05 10:52 AM