Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting with a Roller - History (OT ish)

On 01/06/2011 17:33, Tabby wrote:
On Jun 1, 3:51 pm, "DerbyBoy"No-one wrote:
Just doing a spot of painting and remembered that my parents used a roller
for the first time in around 1960. It made me wonder - when were paint
rollers introduced and when did they get into common usage? Perhaps the old
"distempers" were not very 'roller-friendly'.

Remember some of the old names Walpamur, Jellipex,
Brolac.........................

Regards

John Plant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_roller
invented 1940
Still got some brolac somewhere

NT

My parents had a spray painting attachment for the vacuuum cleaner! You
took the hose off one end, put it on the other so that it was blowing
and attached the spray painting unit - it was totally useless though.

They also had one of those wallpaper pasting machines. That was a little
more successful, but took way too much cleaning up and had a habit of
popping the rollers out mid-way through.

SteveW