Stuart

Default painting Gloss With A Roller.Pt2

Having very successfully painted a flush outside door using
Johnstone's Gloss with a short haired fleece type roller ( the
undercoat having been brushed on) I bought some Harris Mini Foam
Rollers for Gloss.

On the storm door I have just painted the undercoat on the mouldings
with a brush and did the panels and surrounds with one of the foam
rollers and have to say i was very disappointed .It has a sort of
orange peel finish,presumably to do with the surface of the foam .
I'm not keen to use these with the topcoat if this is going to be
repeated .Maybe I should get another short haired fleece roller and
use it .
Any thoughts.??

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Andy

"Stuart" wrote in message
Having very successfully painted a flush outside door using
Johnstone's Gloss with a short haired fleece type roller ( the
undercoat having been brushed on) I bought some Harris Mini Foam
Rollers for Gloss.

On the storm door I have just painted the undercoat on the mouldings
with a brush and did the panels and surrounds with one of the foam
rollers and have to say i was very disappointed .It has a sort of
orange peel finish,presumably to do with the surface of the foam .
I'm not keen to use these with the topcoat if this is going to be
repeated .Maybe I should get another short haired fleece roller and
use it .
Any thoughts.??

Stuart

I'm not sure that gloss and undercoat behave in the same way. Can you not do
a testpiece with some gloss paint on the foam roller?

Andy.

Chris J Dixon

Stuart wrote:

Having very successfully painted a flush outside door using
Johnstone's Gloss with a short haired fleece type roller ( the
undercoat having been brushed on) I bought some Harris Mini Foam
Rollers for Gloss.

On the storm door I have just painted the undercoat on the mouldings
with a brush and did the panels and surrounds with one of the foam
rollers and have to say i was very disappointed .It has a sort of
orange peel finish,presumably to do with the surface of the foam .
I'm not keen to use these with the topcoat if this is going to be
repeated .Maybe I should get another short haired fleece roller and
use it .
Any thoughts.??

I discovered that the best way for me was to use a cheap foam
roller for fast application of the paint, and then use a brush
for the final laying off. I know it sounds a bit like belt and
braces, but it is certainly faster than just using a brush alone,
as I have been doing for over 35 years, but achieves the same
finish.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Chris Bacon

Stuart wrote:
On the storm door I have just painted the undercoat on the mouldings
with a brush and did the panels and surrounds with one of the foam
rollers and have to say i was very disappointed .It has a sort of
orange peel finish

As mentioned before, put the gloss on fast with a roller,
then lay off with a brush.