Posted to uk.d-i-y
Farouq

Default Anyone try spray painting instead of roller and brush

I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller
and brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a
roller and brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that
I've overlooked?

I know there is the original cost of buying the equipment which makes
it more expensive initially. After that it should be much easier to
paint the room?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Farouq wrote:
I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller
and brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a
roller and brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that
I've overlooked?

I know there is the original cost of buying the equipment which makes
it more expensive initially. After that it should be much easier to
paint the room?

Thanks

Gets every where, paint dust cloud overwelms the room if not sufficianlty
ventilated,too much hassle cleaning the equipment after use, ect.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Farouq wrote:
I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller
and brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a
roller and brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that
I've overlooked?

Once I knew a Sikh fellow who wanted a lot of decorating done. He
wanted the "front room" , which had been knocked through into
another room, done all white. The windows were masked off, and
the lot sprayed "pure brilliant white". The lot - walls, ceiling,
floor (he was going to carpet it over - white!). The whole lot
simply shone, it was like going into a dream, but a nasty one.

I know there is the original cost of buying the equipment which makes
it more expensive initially. After that it should be much easier to
paint the room?

Masking, paint issues, cleaning up costs, maintenance....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TonyK

"Farouq" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller
and brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a
roller and brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that
I've overlooked?

I know there is the original cost of buying the equipment which makes
it more expensive initially. After that it should be much easier to
paint the room?

Thanks

It's pretty common in the US on knew builds and big renovations. I toyed
with the idea on my last project but getting the whole house ready in one
hit did'nt work out practical.

I've got the kit to do it and still stuck to rollers and brushes, even doing
4 rooms at a time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Jeffries

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 07:42:09 -0800, Farouq wrote:
I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller and
brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a roller and
brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that I've
overlooked?

I know there is the original cost of buying the equipment which makes it
more expensive initially. After that it should be much easier to paint
the room?

My father runs a business that does spray painting of large retail shops
(e.g. Argos). When I bought my house he sent his team in and in a day
they had sprayed every wall magnolia and every ceiling gloss white. No
mess around the house, no dust settling, we were able to go in later that
day - slight odour but gone by the next day.

Obviously the colour-scheme isn't for everyone (nor for us) but it enabled
us to at least have a clean/fresh slate before going round each room
decorating over time (we had a 3 month old son when we bought the house so
taking a few weeks to decorate every room ourselves wasn't practical).

I've had the same thoughts myself in the past, why bother painting when
you can spray. Never got round to learning how or why not yet though...

Cheers,

Andy

--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Andy Jeffries wrote:
[...]

They sprayed your ceilings gloss white? heaven forbid you don't have a
fire.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Jeffries

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:46:36 +0000, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
My father runs a business that does spray painting of large retail shops
(e.g. Argos). When I bought my house he sent his team in and in a day
they had sprayed every wall magnolia and every ceiling gloss white.

They sprayed your ceilings gloss white? heaven forbid you don't have a
fire.

Yep, sorry about that - meant "brilliant white", had a dopey moment - it's
not gloss at all! :-)

Cheers,

--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2
http://www.andyjeffries.co.uk | Personal site and photos

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PhilC

"Andy Jeffries" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:46:36 +0000, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
My father runs a business that does spray painting of large retail

shops
(e.g. Argos). When I bought my house he sent his team in and in a day
they had sprayed every wall magnolia and every ceiling gloss white.

They sprayed your ceilings gloss white? heaven forbid you don't have a
fire.

Yep, sorry about that - meant "brilliant white", had a dopey moment - it's
not gloss at all! :-)

Cheers,

--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2
http://www.andyjeffries.co.uk | Personal site and photos

There is a type of Dulux trade paint that can be sprayed - or rollered -
that any overspray dries before it hits the floor can't remember what it's
called though.
Don't know if this is of help?

PhilC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Farouq wrote:
I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller
and brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a
roller and brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that
I've overlooked?

I know there is the original cost of buying the equipment which makes
it more expensive initially. After that it should be much easier to
paint the room?

Thanks

I did spray painting ages ago. Great finish, but it really does get
over everything, so not much use for occupied houses.

Thick bulking gap-filling paint is sprayed on industrial buildings when
the walls are a state, but its pricey, and the finish is in no way
suitable for domestic use.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Jeffries

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:58:13 +0000, PhilC wrote:
There is a type of Dulux trade paint that can be sprayed - or rollered -
that any overspray dries before it hits the floor can't remember what it's
called though.
Don't know if this is of help?

My old man used a trade paint, but it's made by a chemical company in
Ireland (IIRC) and not a "brand" like Dulux.

This paint does that (hence how they can paint shops overnight and have
the shop open again the next morning) - minimal cleanup.

Cheers,

--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2
http://www.andyjeffries.co.uk | Personal site and photos

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message . com,
Farouq writes
I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller
and brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a
roller and brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that
I've overlooked?

I know there is the original cost of buying the equipment which makes
it more expensive initially. After that it should be much easier to
paint the room?

Image of Mr Bean springs to mind

(firework in a paint pot)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Farouq wrote in message
ups.com...
I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller
and brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a
roller and brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that
I've overlooked?

What like on an average size family room,
by the time you have fluffed about masking the door, windows, fireplace,
skirting, light switches, you could have finished it with a roller or pad.
Or perhaps you went to the "if it don't move paint it all one colour school"

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Farouq"
saying something like:

I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller
and brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a
roller and brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that
I've overlooked?

I know there is the original cost of buying the equipment which makes
it more expensive initially. After that it should be much easier to
paint the room?

HighVolumeLowPressure is the way to go if you're intent on doing it.
Fwiw, I've painted indoors with the HVLP system and it works well. You
don't get much overspray and the paint is quite controllable.
--

Dave