Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Completely OT - bedtime for children

Yes, that old chestnut. Given the vast wealth of experience (and
opinions g) here, what time is reasonable for a ten year old boy to go
to bed at night?

Yes, the same arguments are being used. The same as the ones we used as
children, no doubt. I haven't a clue what time I was sent to bed, but
eight o'clock rings a bell.

Current bedtime is half past eight Sunday to Thursday, with a half hour
extension Friday and Saturday. I think that is too late, but that is
irrelevant. Is half past eight too early for a ten year old boy, with
school the next day? I think not.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 3:32*pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

Early bedtimes often have more to do with the parents wanting time alone
together than what the child actually needs.

Though it might be good in that case to send the child to bed, but
they are allowed to stay awake for another hour if they read a book
(not watch TV if they have one in their room or play on a computer but
specifically read a book). That combines a motivation (they can stay
awake later, which kids like) with a benefit (improved literacy and a
desire to read) as well as allowing the parents their time.

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

Yes, that old chestnut. Given the vast wealth of experience (and
opinions g) here, what time is reasonable for a ten year old boy to go
to bed at night?

When he is bloody well told to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

Yes, that old chestnut. Given the vast wealth of experience (and
opinions g) here, what time is reasonable for a ten year old boy to go
to bed at night?

Yes, the same arguments are being used. The same as the ones we used as
children, no doubt. I haven't a clue what time I was sent to bed, but
eight o'clock rings a bell.

Current bedtime is half past eight Sunday to Thursday, with a half hour
extension Friday and Saturday. I think that is too late, but that is
irrelevant. Is half past eight too early for a ten year old boy, with
school the next day? I think not.

Since you ask - my pair (5+7) usually end up in bed at 9pm. That's not great
- it's a result of me and SWMBO working 60 miles away and me getting them
off the childminder at 6-6:30pm and me them cooking for them, then homework
etc etc.

Nevertheless, they seem healthy. But it's pretty borderline and they do
sometimes kip for an hour in the afternoon.

But a lot of their peers end up in bed by 8pm (or earlier!).

For a 10 year old, I wasn't in bed before 9pm at that age, sometimes 9:30pm.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 12/05/2011 14:11, News wrote:

Yes, that old chestnut. Given the vast wealth of experience (and
opinions g) here, what time is reasonable for a ten year old boy to go
to bed at night?

Kids have so much energy, and it's mostly untapped lost energy...

Connect a bike to an electrical generator and have him start pedling at
7pm. He going to bed at 8pm won't then be a problem for neither of you
and you will have some capital saved to offset the bills.

It might help if you offered some inducement. I would suggest that the
kid's video game devices and PC be powered directly from the pedal
generator.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 May 2011 14:11:49 +0100, News wrote:

Is half past eight too early for a ten year old boy, with school the
next day?

Is that upstairs for bath/PJ's/story or lights out?

The routine starts here at 1930 for the The Lad (11) with bath/PJ's,
he's allowed back downstairs after his bath, in his PJ's. Then
upstairs from 2100 or just after. Lights out between 2200 and 2230
after stories and talking through the day. He's nearly always first
up around 0700, quite often before.

Very little variation between school/non-school times, he will
sometimes "lie in" until 0800 on non-school days...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

Thanks, everyone, for all the comments - I particularly like 'when he is
bloody well told to', which is me to a tee :-)

I do agree that, to a certain extent, a child's bedtime is chosen to
suit the parents, rather than the child.

Since you ask - my pair (5+7) usually end up in bed at 9pm. That's not great
- it's a result of me and SWMBO working 60 miles away and me getting them
off the childminder at 6-6:30pm and me them cooking for them, then homework
etc etc.

You have my sympathy, although I know you're not looking for it. Our
son arrived unexpectedly, and I was in exactly that situation -
commuting to London, long day, rarely saw the boy for what seemed like
minutes a day. We then decided that something had to change, so moved
500 miles north, to rural Aberdeenshire, where we run a PO together,
which means we're always at home for him, and have been since he was not
much more than a year old.

Nevertheless, they seem healthy. But it's pretty borderline and they do
sometimes kip for an hour in the afternoon.

I think there is a lot of truth in what suits the child. Although
bedtime is 20.30, by the time he has found pjs, had a wee, cleaned his
teeth etc., it is 20.45, then he reads for a while, so never sleeps
before 9. He wakes around 07.30 - 08.00 which is about right, I think.
Gives him time to greet the day before getting dressed and leaving home
for the 5 minute walk to school. Yes, we're lucky.

But a lot of their peers end up in bed by 8pm (or earlier!).

By the time we get to bedtime, he is usually on the Xbox, talking to
friends, who tease him for having to leave at half past eight. I have
suggested he tell a white lie - going to finish homework, have a bath or
whatever, if that helps him save face. Part of his homework is 15
minutes reading per evening, so not dishonest.

For a 10 year old, I wasn't in bed before 9pm at that age, sometimes 9:30pm.

I really cannot remember. I do know that I was not allowed to stay up
to watch Rawhide, but at what age, I can't recall :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 12 May 2011 14:11:49 +0100, News wrote:

Is half past eight too early for a ten year old boy, with school the
next day?

Is that upstairs for bath/PJ's/story or lights out?

See my reply to Tim.

The routine starts here at 1930 for the The Lad (11) with bath/PJ's,
he's allowed back downstairs after his bath, in his PJ's. Then
upstairs from 2100 or just after. Lights out between 2200 and 2230
after stories and talking through the day.

Yes, exactly. Bedtime is never bedtime. Bedtime is 20.30, but that is
the start of the ritual, including the usual bathroom stuff, long
stories about the day, general unwinding etc. Because we work at home,
we do at least eat together, so talk then, but we tend to learn more
when he is in bed, and telling about the day. Important, to him and us.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
You don't say how early the lad has to get up for the school run, if
it's 6.00 am then earlier to bed is better, but if it's 8.30 and a short
run to school then I would think he could stay up a bit later...

He runs to school? In my day we walked to school. Well, at least it'll
burn off his excess energy

News wrote:
minutes a day. *We then decided that something had to change, so moved
500 miles north, to rural Aberdeenshire, where we run a PO together,

Oo, I used to live there (Tarland) until a few months ago. Very nice
area.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
jgharston writes

News wrote:
We then decided that something had to change, so moved
500 miles north, to rural Aberdeenshire, where we run a PO together,

Oo, I used to live there (Tarland) until a few months ago. Very nice
area.

We're about 10 miles SW of Tarland, and yes, I agree. A completely life
changing move for us, in so many ways.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 2:11*pm, News wrote:
Yes, that old chestnut. *Given the vast wealth of experience (and
opinions g) here, what time is reasonable for a ten year old boy to go
to bed at night?

Yes, the same arguments are being used. *The same as the ones we used as
children, no doubt. *I haven't a clue what time I was sent to bed, but
eight o'clock rings a bell.

Current bedtime is half past eight Sunday to Thursday, with a half hour
extension Friday and Saturday. *I think that is too late, but that is
irrelevant. *Is half past eight too early for a ten year old boy, with
school the next day? *I think not.
--
Graeme

My 8 year old son seldom goes to bed before 9pm, but then he gets
himself up at 7am, makes his own breakfast and gets dressed himself,
so I can see no point in sending him to bed any earlier, he obviously
doesn't need any more sleep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
News wrote:

[...]

I used to go to bed at about 9pm when I was 10 but I always used to listen
to Radio Luxemburg for half an hour (or longer if I could get away with it).
One night I knew the answer to a competition so I snook (snuck? sneaked?)
down to the telephone in the hallway to ring in my answer. I thought that
with them having the telly on in the living room they wouldn't hear me but
they did and I have no idea how many people around europe were treated to a
live argument between me and my dad, "But dad, I'm on the radio, I know the
answer" - "Put the phone down and get back to bed" - and then he took the
handset from me and hung up! Although I had the right answer I never got
chance to give them my address so never got the prize :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , News
writes

Yes, that old chestnut. Given the vast wealth of experience (and
opinions g) here, what time is reasonable for a ten year old boy to
go to bed at night?

Yes, the same arguments are being used. The same as the ones we used
as children, no doubt. I haven't a clue what time I was sent to bed,
but eight o'clock rings a bell.

Current bedtime is half past eight Sunday to Thursday, with a half hour
extension Friday and Saturday. I think that is too late, but that is
irrelevant. Is half past eight too early for a ten year old boy, with
school the next day? I think not.

Ask MM-Kylix - he seems to be a self proclaimed expert

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , News
writes
In message o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Thu, 12 May 2011 14:11:49 +0100, News wrote:

Is half past eight too early for a ten year old boy, with school the
next day?

Is that upstairs for bath/PJ's/story or lights out?

See my reply to Tim.

The routine starts here at 1930 for the The Lad (11) with bath/PJ's,
he's allowed back downstairs after his bath, in his PJ's. Then
upstairs from 2100 or just after. Lights out between 2200 and 2230
after stories and talking through the day.

Yes, exactly. Bedtime is never bedtime. Bedtime is 20.30, but that is
the start of the ritual, including the usual bathroom stuff, long
stories about the day, general unwinding etc. Because we work at home,
we do at least eat together, so talk then, but we tend to learn more
when he is in bed, and telling about the day. Important, to him and us.

nominal bed time here is 8.30. but in reality it's a moveable feast,
though we try for that a few times a week, for everyone's sanity really.
2 days a week she is out until 8.30 9 or so anyway. And usually a couple
of times a week my wife might a be a bit late home from work and unless
it gets too late the kids will spend some time with mum.

Of course she would read to midnight if she gets the chance......

She is hopeless at getting up in the morning, and will still be in bed
until well after 9 if left to her own devices. Luckily, they don't go to
school, so getting up and out isn't an issue most days.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chris French wrote:
She is hopeless at getting up in the morning, and will still be in bed
until well after 9 if left to her own devices. Luckily, they don't go to
school, so getting up and out isn't an issue most days.

Just curious, but what's lucky about not going to school?

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
chris French wrote:
She is hopeless at getting up in the morning, and will still be in bed
until well after 9 if left to her own devices. Luckily, they don't go to
school, so getting up and out isn't an issue most days.

Just curious, but what's lucky about not going to school?

In this context it was 'luckily' we don't have to worry about them being
up in time to go to school everyday. so being up late sometimes isn't
the issue it might be if they were having to get up to go.

But I think they get a education more suited to them by being home
educated. This may or may not be considered lucky I suppose.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
News wrote:

[...]

There are some really bad nursing homes about if you want to get your own
back!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"News" wrote

Yes, that old chestnut. Given the vast wealth of experience (and opinions
g) here, what time is reasonable for a ten year old boy to go to bed at
night?

Yes, the same arguments are being used. The same as the ones we used as
children, no doubt. I haven't a clue what time I was sent to bed, but
eight o'clock rings a bell.

Current bedtime is half past eight Sunday to Thursday, with a half hour
extension Friday and Saturday. I think that is too late, but that is
irrelevant. Is half past eight too early for a ten year old boy, with
school the next day? I think not.
--
Graeme

My 2c

Your timing is about right, but one key recommendation:

Do not allow any electronic entertainment (fixed or portable) in the
bedroom.
iPods, XBoxes, TVs, DSs, Phones with games/gadgets etc. Unlike a book,
these will keep stimulating the child's senses and preventing sleep IME.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chris French wrote:
Just curious, but what's lucky about not going to school?

In this context it was 'luckily' we don't have to worry about them being
up in time to go to school everyday. so being up late sometimes isn't
the issue it might be if they were having to get up to go.

Might be a problem by the time work comes along for them, though. Or much
else in the outside world. Being trained that getting up on time isn't
important could be a mistake.

But I think they get a education more suited to them by being home
educated. This may or may not be considered lucky I suppose.

Unless they have very special needs, I'd think it not.

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2011 13:51, TheScullster wrote:
My 2c

Your timing is about right, but one key recommendation:

Do not allow any electronic entertainment (fixed or portable) in the
bedroom.
iPods, XBoxes, TVs, DSs, Phones with games/gadgets etc. Unlike a book,
these will keep stimulating the child's senses and preventing sleep IME.

Quite.

A couple of years ago I threw out my ancient clock radio that I used to
bore me to sleep since the eighties.

I successfuly decided that things in me head were boring enough, and
that the wild dreams and worries inspired by late night talk show hosts
on London's LBC Radio didn't leave me refreshed enough the following
morning.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
A couple of years ago I threw out my ancient clock radio that I used to
bore me to sleep since the eighties.

I successfuly decided that things in me head were boring enough, and
that the wild dreams and worries inspired by late night talk show hosts
on London's LBC Radio didn't leave me refreshed enough the following
morning.

Try the shipping forecast on R4. Guaranteed to send you off. Or a
meditation type CD. Trouble is something like that can get you off to
sleep but not wake you in the morning. So you might need two independent
systems. ;-)

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
John wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
News wrote:

[...]

Telephones in hallways (well just one telephone per house and that was a
rented telephone!) and telephone tables. What memories.

And what is the prize your parents deprived you of?

Cheers
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

A couple of years ago I threw out my ancient clock radio that I used to
bore me to sleep since the eighties.

I successfuly decided that things in me head were boring enough, and
that the wild dreams and worries inspired by late night talk show hosts
on London's LBC Radio didn't leave me refreshed enough the following
morning.

Try the shipping forecast on R4. Guaranteed to send you off. Or a
meditation type CD. Trouble is something like that can get you off to
sleep but not wake you in the morning. So you might need two independent
systems. ;-)

Getting to sleep is no problem - staying asleep beyond 5:30 am is!
No this is not linked to the light mornings.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
News wrote:

Yes, that old chestnut. Given the vast wealth of experience (and
opinions g) here, what time is reasonable for a ten year old boy
to go to bed at night?

Yes, the same arguments are being used. The same as the ones we
used as children, no doubt. I haven't a clue what time I was sent
to bed, but eight o'clock rings a bell.

Current bedtime is half past eight Sunday to Thursday, with a half
hour extension Friday and Saturday. I think that is too late, but
that is irrelevant. Is half past eight too early for a ten year old
boy, with school the next day? I think not.

Since you ask - my pair (5+7) usually end up in bed at 9pm. That's
not great - it's a result of me and SWMBO working 60 miles away and
me getting them off the childminder at 6-6:30pm and me them cooking
for them, then homework etc etc.

I thought that you were training the kids to use power tools in an evening
to help with the bungalow refurb?

Is "homework" a code word for shed building and practical instructions on
the use of an angle grinder?:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
Just curious, but what's lucky about not going to school?

In this context it was 'luckily' we don't have to worry about them being
up in time to go to school everyday. so being up late sometimes isn't
the issue it might be if they were having to get up to go.

Might be a problem by the time work comes along for them, though. Or much
else in the outside world. Being trained that getting up on time isn't
important could be a mistake.

I reckon it's a skill you develop when you need to. I don't see it
needing years of training.

Though I doubt she will ever like it, both her parents are night owls.
Anyway there is a difference between not needing to get up at a certain
time every day, and knowing that it important to get up on time. when we
are doing things that need us to be up and out in the morning by a
certain time (which is probably 2-3 times a week on average I guess)
then they are and reading in time.

But I think they get a education more suited to them by being home
educated. This may or may not be considered lucky I suppose.

Unless they have very special needs, I'd think it not.

not really a dbate for here anyway.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

I used to go to bed at about 9pm when I was 10 but I always used to listen
to Radio Luxemburg for half an hour (or longer if I could get away with it).

huge grin Yes, indeed. I discovered 'The Pirates', and listened to
Radio London (Mark Roman) until the station closed down at 9pm, after
which either Caroline, or Luxemburg, fading in and out. Many is the
time I awoke the following morning, with the radio still on, hissing
quietly.

One night I knew the answer to a competition so I snook (snuck? sneaked?)
down to the telephone in the hallway to ring in my answer. I thought that
with them having the telly on in the living room they wouldn't hear me but
they did and I have no idea how many people around europe were treated to a
live argument between me and my dad, "But dad, I'm on the radio, I know the
answer" - "Put the phone down and get back to bed" - and then he took the
handset from me and hung up! Although I had the right answer I never got
chance to give them my address so never got the prize :-)

This obviously caused you severe psychological damage :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
TheScullster writes

Your timing is about right, but one key recommendation:

Do not allow any electronic entertainment (fixed or portable) in the
bedroom.
iPods, XBoxes, TVs, DSs, Phones with games/gadgets etc. Unlike a book,
these will keep stimulating the child's senses and preventing sleep IME.

Thanks Phil. Yes, I agree one hundred per cent. He has access to
computer, Xbox etc. outside his bedroom up until bedtime, but, in bed,
only books are permitted. Luckily, he is an avid reader, so that does
not present a problem. Just discovered Michael Morpogo, who makes a
change from Horrid Henry.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 May 2011 20:05:35 +0100, News wrote:

In message , John
writes

I used to go to bed at about 9pm when I was 10 but I always used to
listen to Radio Luxemburg for half an hour (or longer if I could get
away with it).

huge grin Yes, indeed. I discovered 'The Pirates', and listened to
Radio London (Mark Roman) until the station closed down at 9pm, after
which either Caroline, or Luxemburg, fading in and out. Many is the
time I awoke the following morning, with the radio still on, hissing
quietly.

I remember going on holiday to Clacton, and being driven out to Frinton
beach, sitting in the car listening to the actual Radio London closedown.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2011 20:11, News wrote:
In message ,
TheScullster writes

Your timing is about right, but one key recommendation:

Do not allow any electronic entertainment (fixed or portable) in the
bedroom.
iPods, XBoxes, TVs, DSs, Phones with games/gadgets etc. Unlike a book,
these will keep stimulating the child's senses and preventing sleep IME.

Thanks Phil. Yes, I agree one hundred per cent. He has access to
computer, Xbox etc. outside his bedroom up until bedtime, but, in bed,
only books are permitted. Luckily, he is an avid reader, so that does
not present a problem. Just discovered Michael Morpogo, who makes a
change from Horrid Henry.

We do have a computer in the boys' bedroom, but their login only has
normal user rights and is set to only allow access up to 19:00. After
that they can turn it on, but they can't do anything with it.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Fri, 13 May 2011 20:05:35 +0100, News wrote:

huge grin Yes, indeed. I discovered 'The Pirates', and listened to
Radio London (Mark Roman) until the station closed down at 9pm, after
which either Caroline, or Luxemburg, fading in and out. Many is the
time I awoke the following morning, with the radio still on, hissing
quietly.

I remember going on holiday to Clacton, and being driven out to Frinton
beach, sitting in the car listening to the actual Radio London closedown.

I used to live in Clacton - someone has to!

We were on holiday on that fateful day - Monday August 14th, 1967. I
was 15, and clearly remember sitting on the pier at Hunstanton,
clutching my father's transistor radio, listening to 'Their Final Hour'.
Yes, sad, I know :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 May 2011 21:04:56 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 13/05/2011 20:11, News wrote:
In message ,
TheScullster writes

Your timing is about right, but one key recommendation:

Do not allow any electronic entertainment (fixed or portable) in the
bedroom.
iPods, XBoxes, TVs, DSs, Phones with games/gadgets etc. Unlike a book,
these will keep stimulating the child's senses and preventing sleep IME.

Thanks Phil. Yes, I agree one hundred per cent. He has access to
computer, Xbox etc. outside his bedroom up until bedtime, but, in bed,
only books are permitted. Luckily, he is an avid reader, so that does
not present a problem. Just discovered Michael Morpogo, who makes a
change from Horrid Henry.

We do have a computer in the boys' bedroom, but their login only has
normal user rights and is set to only allow access up to 19:00. After
that they can turn it on, but they can't do anything with it.

I prefer to keep computers in "public" areas of the house so we can
keep a half an eye on what they are doing.

[My youngest son has also recently graduated away from Horrid Henry
;-)]
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2011 09:47, Mark wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 21:04:56 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 13/05/2011 20:11, News wrote:
In et.uk,
writes

[...]

So would I, but with three kids all wanting to use the computers at the
same time and only one, through, living room, I think my wife might
object in turning into an I.T. centre! We therefore have to rely on
software and popping round the door.

At the moment they are young enough to live with very tight restrictions
on what they can access, but as they grow older and need more access for
homework, etc. we will have to rethink things.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 May 2011 20:27:55 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 16/05/2011 09:47, Mark wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 21:04:56 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 13/05/2011 20:11, News wrote:
In et.uk,
writes

[...]

Welcome to the 21st Century ;-)

We have a kind of rota and two computers for the 3 kids to share. It
mostly works OK. The younger ones have less need of computers for
homework than the older ones so it is getting less easy as time goes
on.

We therefore have to rely on
software and popping round the door.

At the moment they are young enough to live with very tight restrictions
on what they can access, but as they grow older and need more access for
homework, etc. we will have to rethink things.

I haven't found any substitute for parental supervision. I keep
meaning to set up my own filter, but lack the round tuits.

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 May 2011 09:15:55 +0100, Mark wrote:

We have a kind of rota and two computers for the 3 kids to share.

We have one computer (for the kids), two kids and "tokens".

Tokens for a fixed period of 30 minutes each.
Maximum of eight tokens per day. (4 hrs)
Tokens only valid between 0630 and 2130 each day.
Home work on the computer uses tokens.
Home work to be done before any computer use.
Tokens do not have to be used.
Unused Tokens give no right to computer use.
Unused Tokens are not carried forward.

If one child is on the computer the other can put a token in "the
queue" and the first *has* to log off when their token exipres.
Mechanical (ie ticking) kitchen timer keeps an eye on the 30 min
periods. Woe betide them if they are on the computer without the
timer running... Tokens can be taken away for bad behaviour and need
to be earnt back.

The system generally works well and was brought with in to reduce
arguments about computer use, make computer use "fair" and limit the
amount of time they spent on the computer. We all sat down together,
talked about it and agreed it, they were 12 and 9 at the time. Two
years on it is still working fairly well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 May 2011 10:16:14 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds very complex to me but if it works ... ;-)

Ours get too much homework now that must be done on the computer so
such a scheme would not work here I think.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2011 09:15:55 +0100, Mark wrote:

We have a kind of rota and two computers for the 3 kids to share.

We have one computer (for the kids), two kids and "tokens".

Tokens for a fixed period of 30 minutes each.
Maximum of eight tokens per day. (4 hrs)
Tokens only valid between 0630 and 2130 each day.
Home work on the computer uses tokens.
Home work to be done before any computer use.
Tokens do not have to be used.
Unused Tokens give no right to computer use.
Unused Tokens are not carried forward.

Are these physical "coin-in-the-slot" type tokens?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 May 2011 13:48:44 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

Are these physical "coin-in-the-slot" type tokens?

No definately "Blue Peter". Round bits of cardboard (in different
colours for each child) and two yogurt pots. One pot for "using
computer" and one for "queue".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 May 2011 14:55:29 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2011 13:48:44 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

Are these physical "coin-in-the-slot" type tokens?

No definately "Blue Peter". Round bits of cardboard (in different
colours for each child) and two yogurt pots. One pot for "using
computer" and one for "queue".

You've started me thinking about something in the domain controller
now...but although that might work for Windows, younger son (14 years)
has a FreeBSD machine, which complicates matters...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Same here.

All three have PCs in their rooms and mobiles, and are trusted
implicitly to behave. No problems at all so far. They're all mature
and their doors are open all the time. Only the youngest (12) was
found to quickly switch windows when an adult approached. Turned out
he was embarrased that he was playing an on line game "for babies".

Good behaviour is all down to catching them young with the discipline.
Now it's threatened, but never has to be applied.

MBQ