Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Completely OT - bedtime for children

In message , News
writes
In message o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Thu, 12 May 2011 14:11:49 +0100, News wrote:

Is half past eight too early for a ten year old boy, with school the
next day?

Is that upstairs for bath/PJ's/story or lights out?

See my reply to Tim.

The routine starts here at 1930 for the The Lad (11) with bath/PJ's,
he's allowed back downstairs after his bath, in his PJ's. Then
upstairs from 2100 or just after. Lights out between 2200 and 2230
after stories and talking through the day.

Yes, exactly. Bedtime is never bedtime. Bedtime is 20.30, but that is
the start of the ritual, including the usual bathroom stuff, long
stories about the day, general unwinding etc. Because we work at home,
we do at least eat together, so talk then, but we tend to learn more
when he is in bed, and telling about the day. Important, to him and us.

nominal bed time here is 8.30. but in reality it's a moveable feast,
though we try for that a few times a week, for everyone's sanity really.
2 days a week she is out until 8.30 9 or so anyway. And usually a couple
of times a week my wife might a be a bit late home from work and unless
it gets too late the kids will spend some time with mum.

Of course she would read to midnight if she gets the chance......

She is hopeless at getting up in the morning, and will still be in bed
until well after 9 if left to her own devices. Luckily, they don't go to
school, so getting up and out isn't an issue most days.

--
Chris French