Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electricity meter question.

Man at B&Q wrote:
On May 4, 8:58 am, John Williamson
wrote:
I must remember to tell the makers of my cameras that. They tell me
under no circumstances must I take the batteries out while it's writing
to the card, as that may render the card useless.

My point stands.

The warning, "may", is due to potential corruption of the card's file
system that isn't designed to be robust enough to withstand corruption
of a single critical memory location. The data is still there if you
have the right tools to recover it.

Not always, IME, but you may have been luckier. Luckily, the camera with
a problem was one used by a member of a group, so they just swapped
pictures.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 4, 9:30*am, "dennis@home" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...

You would struggle to "corrupt the rest of the data" with any
technology.

You never worked with bubble memory did you?

It was actively worked on where I used to work, but not personally,
no.

I was thinking of more modern, mainstream, technologies, not dead
ends.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On May 4, 9:30 am, "dennis@home" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in

You would struggle to "corrupt the rest of the data" with any
technology.

You never worked with bubble memory did you?

It was actively worked on where I used to work, but not personally,
no.

I was thinking of more modern, mainstream, technologies, not dead
ends.

It had some interesting faults.
I killed the development of bubble memory cards on SystemX by designing
something far better to replace them.
Cheaper, more reliable and five times as fast tends to kill the competition
rather well.
Its still in use now and its more than a decade (or two) old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 21, 7:56*am, Bob Minchin
wrote:

My system is quite small = 16.7 sq m rated at 2.35kWp.
It has produce 350kWh since 1st February this year

So that's an average of 0.28 kWHr per square meter per day (an average
of 11 Watts per square meter).

But how does that 0.28 kWhr/day square with:
Even on a grey day when it is raining, 3-4kWh are produced per day

Puzzled,

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
On Apr 21, 7:56 am, Bob Minchin
wrote:

My system is quite small = 16.7 sq m rated at 2.35kWp.
It has produce 350kWh since 1st February this year

So that's an average of 0.28 kWHr per square meter per day (an average
of 11 Watts per square meter).

But how does that 0.28 kWhr/day square with:
Even on a grey day when it is raining, 3-4kWh are produced per day

Puzzled,

It's the Magic of Renewable Energy, where peaks are exchanged with
means, 'Could' is used instead of 'will' or 'does' and impossible
technology is instantly available by the Magic Of Subsidies and Fairy
Godmotherment Intention-Wands to make to all come right at the end, so
everyone gets to go to the ball.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 7:56 am, Bob Minchin
wrote:

My system is quite small = 16.7 sq m rated at 2.35kWp.
It has produce 350kWh since 1st February this year

So that's an average of 0.28 kWHr per square meter per day (an average
of 11 Watts per square meter).

But how does that 0.28 kWhr/day square with:
Even on a grey day when it is raining, 3-4kWh are produced per day

Puzzled,

That would be the 300w float charger he has connected between the output of
the inverter and the output from the panels? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
On Apr 21, 7:56 am, Bob Minchin
wrote:

My system is quite small = 16.7 sq m rated at 2.35kWp.
It has produce 350kWh since 1st February this year

So that's an average of 0.28 kWHr per square meter per day (an average
of 11 Watts per square meter).

But how does that 0.28 kWhr/day square with:
Even on a grey day when it is raining, 3-4kWh are produced per day

Puzzled,

Robert

0.28 kWh/sqm/day x 16.7sqm = 4.676kWh/day average

Grey days have been less than average so 3-4kWh/day is about right then.

Good day yesterday - generated 13.51kWh!

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 4, 11:56*am, Bob Minchin
wrote:
RobertL wrote:
On Apr 21, 7:56 am, Bob Minchin
*wrote:

My system is quite small = 16.7 sq m rated at 2.35kWp.
It has produce 350kWh since 1st February this year

So that's an average of 0.28 kWHr per square meter per day (an average
of 11 Watts per square meter).

But how does that 0.28 kWhr/day square with:
Even on a grey day when it is raining, 3-4kWh are produced per day

Puzzled,

Robert

0.28 kWh/sqm/day x 16.7sqm = 4.676kWh/day average

Ah yes silly me. Thanks.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Core memory [was Electricity meter question]

[sorry for incorrect threading and I hope I got the original attribution
correct, I've only got half the thread visible]

Andy Dingley wrote:

WTF? Core memory?!

Build your own 32bit core store for an arduino

http://www.corememoryshield.com/report.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

WTF? Core memory?!

Build your own 32bit core store for an arduino

http://www.corememoryshield.com/report.html

Yup, saw that on sparetimegizmos recently. I do actually have a piece of
antique core - 512m bytes from an Atlas machine!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

WTF? Core memory?!

Build your own 32bit core store for an arduino

http://www.corememoryshield.com/report.html

Yup, saw that on sparetimegizmos recently. I do actually have a piece of
antique core - 512m bytes from an Atlas machine!

Of course, that's 512 bytes - not sure where the 'm' came from!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager :
I do actually have a piece of
antique core - 512m bytes from an Atlas machine!

Is that millibytes?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

Andy Dingley wrote:

WTF? Core memory?!

Build your own 32bit core store for an arduino

http://www.corememoryshield.com/report.html

Nowt wrong with core memory - data retained when powered off. I used
to load test programs into core stores and take them to site to run
diagnostics on the Ferranti Argus 500 and 700 machines I cut my teeth
on.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

WTF? Core memory?!

Build your own 32bit core store for an arduino

http://www.corememoryshield.com/report.html

Yup, saw that on sparetimegizmos recently. I do actually have a piece of
antique core - 512m bytes from an Atlas machine!

I have a PDP8 core memory board, although you have to peer between a
sandwich of boards to see what looks like the piece of fabric.
It's probably still got someone's data or a fortan compiler or
similar stored in it.

I tried to get an old GEC 4080 core memory board (which is much bigger)
when I worked for GEC, but they got more and more valuable after
manufacture ceased due to continuing demand for spares, and no one
ever chucked one out (actually, any faulty ones got painstakingly
repired).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I must remember to tell the makers of my cameras that. They tell me
under no circumstances must I take the batteries out while it's writing
to the card, as that may render the card useless.

My point stands.

The warning, "may", is due to potential corruption of the card's file
system that isn't designed to be robust enough to withstand corruption
of a single critical memory location. The data is still there if you
have the right tools to recover it.

Not always, IME, but you may have been luckier. Luckily, the camera with
a problem was one used by a member of a group, so they just swapped
pictures.

FAT filesystems can't be made safe in this way because they require
multiple sector updates to be made simultenously, to remain self
consistent. They have a common delayed action corruption mode where
you can read all the data OK after an interrupted operation, but latent
inconsistent spacemap update results in data corruption sometime
later on when the filesystem is written to again. Also, because there
are so many different implementations of FAT filesystem drivers which
do things in different orders and may not use the clean shutdown bit,
it's not easy to spot this without doing something like a full chkdisk
operation, which appliance devices usually don't implement, nor have
the time to do.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 May 2011 12:55:31 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

FAT filesystems can't be made safe in this way because they require
multiple sector updates to be made simultenously, to remain self
consistent.

Can you explain? If they are built with one FAT, I can't see why that
would be so, although there might be some free block loss.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am expriencing this right now. The sun is blazing outside. I recently had solar panels fitted. A few days ago I had to have the meter changed from analogue to digital because the old one was moving backwards. My display is showing the word rEd as I speak. I am in th middle of doing some research and came across your question. One can only assume that it is to do with the solar panels. Also the light which normally flashes on the import meter is on solid red until I boil a kettle. This just indicates that you are not using any power from the import meter unless you use power hungry appliances such as a microwave or kettle. When it gets dark it flashes as normal and instead the generating light on my export meter stays solid which means that no solar power is generating. This is normal. As for th rEd display I need to do some searching. Will get back to you as soon as I find an answer x
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2016 18:14, wrote:
[...]

http://www.allbriteuk.co.uk/ref/sola...light-on-meter

"A constant red light on meter with word RED on display means that the
electricity is flowing the wrong way, this would be used to ensure that
it was not wired up the wrong way when installed prior to the popularity
of Solar Photovoltaic panels. Now that solar panels are more popular
this error will happen in any household on good production days and
basically means you are exporting electricity."

Shame you had to have your mechanical meter changed....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

This is perfectly normal and correct.

ReD = reverse energy detected and originally was a signal to a meter
reader that the meter had been trying to run backwards (usually a fraud
issue before microgeneration system became available)

The solid red light indicates no power being imported.

When you panels are generating more than you are using, the red light
will be on. When you boil a kettle, the panels might not generate enough
and so there will be some imported power to supplement the panels
ability to power the kettle.

Once triggered, the ReD warning will alternate with the normal meter
reading of imported power.
This meter will not normally display the exported power. There should be
a separate generation meter as part of your solar installation.
Your set up will not be able to tell you how much you are exporting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have forgotten to switch off of geiyser.in evening i switched off.since then red light continuosly stagnated on meter. What is the reason

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:10:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have forgotten to switch off of geiyser.in evening i switched off.since then red light continuosly stagnated on meter. What is the reason

42
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From the English I wondered if the person was a little drunk when they wrote
it!
Red light stagnated?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
news
On 10/11/2017 16:10,
wrote:
I have forgotten to switch off of geiyser.in evening i switched off.since
then red light continuosly stagnated on meter. What is the reason

Has the red light turned green?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

From the English I wondered if the person was a little drunk when
they wrote it! Red light stagnated?

I presume it's a digital (not smart) meter, which pulses an LED e.g.
1000 times per kWh consumed, if you stop consuming when the LED happens
to be pulsed on, does it stay on? Then again how many houses ever get to
zero consumption other than during power cuts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2017 19:09, Andy Burns wrote:
does it stay on?

Mine does that quite frequently when the only things
using power are the BT Homehub and my clock radio.