Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electricity meter question.

On Apr 22, 1:15*pm, "Robin" wrote:
Nuclear is finished for ten years at least after ****ushima. The price
of gas & electricity will go through the roof. *(We're all doomed.
Armagedon is nigh!! *:-)
For you that is. *Not me.

Reasonable forecast - unless us poor, huddling masses find out where you
live before we succumb

Now where in the Wiki does it deal with making torches and pitchforks,
and with storming castles, please?
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

You need an AK47 first off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 12:46*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 22, 12:11*pm, Bob Minchin

wrote:
You get paid the tariffs based on what you generate NOT what you feed
into the grid*.

OK, that's not how I understood it to work. I thought it was a two-way
meter in your supply, and you were paid for "running it backwards"

So how do they meter that? Where's the in-house meter between your
panels and your immersion heater? *Do they indeed meter it, or do they
just pay some calculated rate, based on the panel capacity?

If you have a large array they may install an export meter. But for
small arrays they assume you use half the electricity and export half.
The export meter is just an ordinary meter connected the other way
round.
The electronicy meters won't run backwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 1:22*pm, harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:15*pm, "Robin" wrote:

Nuclear is finished for ten years at least after ****ushima. The price
of gas & electricity will go through the roof. *(We're all doomed.
Armagedon is nigh!! *:-)
For you that is. *Not me.

Reasonable forecast - unless us poor, huddling masses find out where you
live before we succumb

Now where in the Wiki does it deal with making torches and pitchforks,
and with storming castles, please?
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

You need an AK47 first off.

Ok. I sent it.
pdf file with a lot of other stuff too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 12:22*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:

still supporting 24 yo son who can't get work or dole.

Pedal generator and feed-in tariff?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:42 am, "Robin" wrote:
My array cost 14,000 so the return should be 11.8%. Where else can
you get that tax free, inflation linked for 25 years?
Is that a fair comparison when you can get your capital back from a
bank but you will not sell the panels+inverter back for the original
installed price in 10 years even forgetting inflation?

I find it more helpful to look at it as a 25 year annuity, indexed to
the RPI. For a capital outlay of 14,000 Harry receives an annual
income of 1,650 index-linked to the RPI. That's an annuity rate of
11.8%. By comparison a man of 65 (so with a life expectancy 25 years)
would get a single, RPI-linked annuity of around 440 a year. And the
annuity is taxable where the feed-in tariff is not. So, surprise
surprise, those with big houses have piled in making feed-in tariffs a
deeply regressive tax - or if you prefer, middle class welfare payments

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

You are exactly correct. Also the energy I don't use will be worth
more. I believeenergycostswillgothrought the roof this next few years.

They will if we keep on subsiding renewables, yes.

The only hazard is the reliabilty of the technology. But there is a
five year guarantee.

The majopr hazard is a force majeure by the government saying 'we wonnt
pay this osrt of price fpr electricity anymore'.

Hey I just had an idea.I could run a wire to my nieghbour from my
house and sell him surplus electricty!!!!!!!! I only get 3p/Kwh for
exported power.
Bloody hell. I could be rich.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 5:46*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:42 am, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

Bloody *hell. *I could be rich.- Hide quoted text -

I think in a few years, it will be the normal price for electricity.
I don't think the gov would dare renage on the deal. No-one would ever
get caught out again. They are borrowing capital and getting the
public to do all the organising/paperwork. They are actually doing it
on the cheap.
It is of great benefit to the electrical distribution system too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 10:34 am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 21, 11:27 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 21, 10:30 am, Bob Minchin
wrote:
If I arrange to consume or in some way store that energy that I would
otherwise pay 11-12p per kWh for, it can be worth 45p to £1.25 per day.
Let's say a quid a day, because it's easier.
So how much did it cost? Any thoughts on the breakeven point?
Wrong way to assess it. The return on investment is from 8% to
12%depending on severa lfactors. Better than you can achieve in the
bank/building society

Not as good as investing in a nuclear fund though. :-)

Nuclear is finished for ten years at least after ****ushima.

It is not.

The price
of gas &

true.
electrcity will go through the roof.

False. There is no need for it to.

(We're all doomed.
Armagedon is nigh!! :-)
For you that is. Not me.

No,I look forward to am all nuclear odler age.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
Nuclear is finished for ten years at least after ****ushima. The price
of gas & electricity will go through the roof. (We're all doomed.
Armagedon is nigh!! :-)
For you that is. Not me.

Reasonable forecast - unless us poor, huddling masses find out where you
live before we succumb

Now where in the Wiki does it deal with making torches and pitchforks,
and with storming castles, please?

Google wiki Luddite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)

That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 1:43*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 22, 12:22*pm, Bob Minchin

wrote:
still supporting 24 yo son who can't get work or dole.

Pedal generator and feed-in tariff?

In my Valhala, they would have these in prisons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 6:55*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
If I arrange to consume or in some way store that energy that I would
otherwise pay 11-12p per kWh for, it can be worth 45p to 1.25 per day.
Let's say a quid a day, because it's easier.

So how much did it cost? Any thoughts on the breakeven point?

Wrong way to assess it. The return on investment is from 8% to
12%depending on severa lfactors. Better than you can achieve in the
bank/building society

Not as good as investing in a nuclear fund though. :-)

Nuclear is finished for ten years at least after ****ushima.

Stuff and nonsense, harry:

1) No killed at TMI: * * * * * * * * 0
2) No killed at Fukushima: * * * * * 0
3) No killed & missing in Japan: 28000

I find it disgusting the way some focus on the nuclear issue while
ignoring the earthquake/tsunami dead .

--
Tim

nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" *-- *Bill of Rights 1689- Hide quoted text -

No-one considers facts, you know this to be true. The anti-nuclear
brigade are on the bandwagon already.
The Germans have already shut down some nuclear plant. It doesn't
have to happen in this country.
It only takes a small shortfall in lifes neccesities to shove the
price right up.
The b***d speculators will have a field day at all our expenses..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)

That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. Your
oven already has one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2011 07:10, harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:28 pm, wrote:
"Bob wrote in message

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. Your
oven already has one

Some washing machines have a delayed start timer as standard - I don't
know if to make use of economy 7 type tarifs or something like that.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 9:28 pm, wrote:
"Bob wrote in message

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed
when the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. Your oven
already has one

Some washing machines have a delayed start timer as standard - I don't
know if to make use of economy 7 type tarifs or something like that.

And a lot of machines these days don't have mechanical 'on/off' switches,
so I doubt that plug in timers would be effective.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed
when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. Your
oven already has one

So does my tumble dryer if I could remember how to set it.

Anyway who did you get to install your system?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed
when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. Your
oven already has one

So does my tumble dryer if I could remember how to set it.

Anyway who did you get to install your system?

I used a local small company - they gave the best quote as the
travelling was minimised.

Get loads of quotes as the trade is full of ex double glazing type sales
reps.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 9:28 pm, *wrote:
"Bob *wrote in message

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed
when the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. *Your oven
already has one

Some washing machines have a delayed start timer as standard - I don't
know if to make use of economy 7 type tarifs or something like that.

And a lot of machines these days don't have mechanical 'on/off' switches,
so I doubt that plug in timers would be effective.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
*http://www.mirrorservice.org

*lightning protection* - a w_tom conductor- Hide quoted text -

You turn the programme switch to the first click. The macine starts
when the plug in timer switches the power on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed
when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. *Your
oven already has one

So does my tumble dryer if I could remember how to set it.

Anyway who did you get to install your system?- Hide quoted text -

A firm called EOS. They weren't that good.
http://www.eosenergy.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 11:47*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed
when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. Your
oven already has one

So does my tumble dryer if I could remember how to set it.

Anyway who did you get to install your system?

I used a local small company - they gave the best quote as the
travelling was minimised.

Get loads of quotes as the trade is full of ex double glazing type sales
reps.
* Bob- Hide quoted text -

You're damn right there. I went to a local exhibition. Out of about
fifty companies, only two could answer even simple questions. The
"trade" is at present full of cowboys.
They were mostly ex brush salesmen I think.
Double glazing would be far too clever for them:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 23:59:47 -0700, harry wrote:

On Apr 23, 2:31Â*pm, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 14:24:13 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:
On 23/04/2011 07:10, harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:28 pm,
Â*wrote:
"Bob Â*wrote in
message

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is
needed when the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. Â*Your

Â*http://www.mirrorservice.org

*lightning protection* - a w_tom conductor- Hide quoted text -

You turn the programme switch to the first click. The macine starts
when the plug in timer switches the power on.

There isn't a first click on ours. Select programme 1 to 12. Turn on main
power. Nothing happens until a momentary-contact button is pressed.
Common with a lot of modewrn machines.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:42 am, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

I think not....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...gy-expert.html

Rick... (The other Rick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:42 am, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

I love the bit that says "But the problem with solar power is that it is
prone to surging when the sun comes, out, usually around midday"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed
when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. *Your
oven already has one

So does my tumble dryer if I could remember how to set it.

Anyway who did you get to install your system?- Hide quoted text -

A firm called EOS. They weren't that good.
http://www.eosenergy.co.uk/

So you went though 50 companies and still ended up with a bunch of
crooks

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:42 am, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...Too-solar-powe...

Rick... (The other Rick)- Hide quoted text -

You're talking Daily Mail here. Bunch of nincompoops.
We have a long way to go here to get anywhere near Germany in any
event..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:42 am, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

Adam- Hide quoted text -

Daily Mail?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 26, 2:27*am, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

8

So fit an aircon unit:-)
That is about the only load that I have come up with that is needed
when
the solar PV output is at it's peak.

You can always run the tumble dryer.

You need timers. Eg a plug in timer for the washing machine. *Your
oven already has one

So does my tumble dryer if I could remember how to set it.

Anyway who did you get to install your system?- Hide quoted text -

A firm called EOS. They weren't that good.
http://www.eosenergy.co.uk/

So you went though 50 companies and still ended up with a bunch of
crooks

--
geoff- Hide quoted text -

Not crooks. Inadequately trained tradesmen. Common problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

Not crooks. Inadequately trained tradesmen. Common problem.

I find all salesmen are inadequately trained, I have yet to find one I
couldn't ask a question that they couldn't answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

Not crooks. Inadequately trained tradesmen. Common problem.

I find all salesmen are inadequately trained, I have yet to find one I
couldn't ask a question that they couldn't answer.

But dennis, you failed to adequately answer any question here that has
ever been posed.

So what does that make you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

dennis@home wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

Not crooks. Inadequately trained tradesmen. Common problem.

I find all salesmen are inadequately trained, I have yet to find one
I couldn't ask a question that they couldn't answer.

But dennis, you failed to adequately answer any question here that has
ever been posed.

So what does that make you?

Better than you.

At being a complete dick, possibly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

Not crooks. Inadequately trained tradesmen. Common problem.

I find all salesmen are inadequately trained, I have yet to find one
I couldn't ask a question that they couldn't answer.

But dennis, you failed to adequately answer any question here that has
ever been posed.

So what does that make you?

You think that any company with a clue would let dennis anywhere near a
member of the public?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

Not crooks. Inadequately trained tradesmen. Common problem.

I find all salesmen are inadequately trained, I have yet to find one I
couldn't ask a question that they couldn't answer.

Yes, but asking a solar panel sales guy about your medication times does not
count.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 2:31 pm, Bob wrote:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 14:24:13 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:
On 23/04/2011 07:10, harry wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:28 pm,
wrote:
"Bob wrote in
message

ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Ours is an always on, push to start type, but it has the delayed start
and as well as that, if you remove the power once started, it re-starts
from the same place when power is re-applied, so you would be able to
use an external timer anyway.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 11:14*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 22, 4:00*am, Bob Minchin

wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 20, 5:10 pm, Bob Minchin
*wrote:

I have found the answer herehttp://universalmeterservices.co.uk/store/images/5193.doc

Meter Memory

All the meters data is recorded in a Ferroelectric Random Access
Memory (FRAM) under the control of the microprocessor. *All the kWh
registers are stored in the FRAM and are updated every 1/100 th of a
kWh. *The FRAM is guaranteed for a minimum of 10,000,000,000 write
cycles

WTF? *Core memory?! *8-)

Yes I found that difficult to credit but I suppose it maybe used to meet
a possible regulatory requirement for N years retention with no power
connected??

Not quite core, but not completely unrelated and quite interestinghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferroelectric_RAM

It's been around for quite a while. FLASH and EEPROM are mostly
useless for this type of application. Given it's an electric meter
they could just use low power SRAM with a super cap backup supply.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:14 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 22, 4:00 am, Bob Minchin

wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 20, 5:10 pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
[...]

Too easily corrupted. Fe RAM has indefinite data retention after removal
of power, better than 10^^15 write cycles, and a glitch during writing
won't corrupt the rest of the data (According to the makers...)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry writes:

I think in a few years, it will be the normal price for electricity.
I don't think the gov would dare renage on the deal. No-one would ever
get caught out again. They are borrowing capital and getting the
public to do all the organising/paperwork. They are actually doing it
on the cheap.

It is of great benefit to the electrical distribution system too.

Not according to what I've read. The existing system wasn't designed
for suddenly-varying generation, which is what you get when a front
crosses the UK and PV output suddenly rises, or drops to a fraction of
what it was. (I'd guess at about 1%, based on measurements on
admittedly-old solar 12 volt car battery trickle chargers).

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 27, 9:34*am, John Williamson
wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:14 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 22, 4:00 am, Bob Minchin

wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 20, 5:10 pm, Bob Minchin
*wrote:
[...]

Easily designed around.

Fe RAM has indefinite data retention after removal
of power, better than 10^^15 write cycles, and a glitch during writing
won't corrupt the rest of the data (According to the makers...)

You would struggle to "corrupt the rest of the data" with any
technology.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:14 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 22, 4:00 am, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 20, 5:10 pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
[...]

To use one example meter I know of, in what was an empty shop for three
years, how would your idea cope with a couple of years of disconnection?

Fe RAM has indefinite data retention after removal
of power, better than 10^^15 write cycles, and a glitch during writing
won't corrupt the rest of the data (According to the makers...)

You would struggle to "corrupt the rest of the data" with any
technology.

I must remember to tell the makers of my cameras that. They tell me
under no circumstances must I take the batteries out while it's writing
to the card, as that may render the card useless.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:14 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 22, 4:00 am, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 20, 5:10 pm, Bob Minchin
*wrote:
[...]

OK, so go back to using FRAM.

Fe RAM has indefinite data retention after removal
of power, better than 10^^15 write cycles, and a glitch during writing
won't corrupt the rest of the data (According to the makers...)

You would struggle to "corrupt the rest of the data" with any
technology.

I must remember to tell the makers of my cameras that. They tell me
under no circumstances must I take the batteries out while it's writing
to the card, as that may render the card useless.

My point stands.

The warning, "may", is due to potential corruption of the card's file
system that isn't designed to be robust enough to withstand corruption
of a single critical memory location. The data is still there if you
have the right tools to recover it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message

You would struggle to "corrupt the rest of the data" with any
technology.

You never worked with bubble memory did you?