Scott

Default Electricity Meter

Hi
Not sure if this is appropriate for this group but its as close as I could
find.
I have had an electricity bill that I think is to high. On switching
everything off on the consumer unit, the disk on the meter continues to
spin.
The meter has 6 numerical vertical counters and underneath a disk that spins
horizontally.
It is the disk that continues to spin. It takes 13 minutes and 33 seconds to
do a complete revolution.
Is this correct?
Next to the meter (on the exit side) is a switch. This looks like where the
electric enters the house. When I switch this off the disk continues to spin
at the same rate.
I have spoken to the supplier who has told me to take meter readings every
day then they will do a meter accuracy test. what does this involve.

Regards
Scott

wanderer

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:28:24 +0100, Scott wrote:

Hi
Not sure if this is appropriate for this group but its as close as I could
find.
I have had an electricity bill that I think is to high. On switching
everything off on the consumer unit, the disk on the meter continues to
spin.
The meter has 6 numerical vertical counters and underneath a disk that spins
horizontally.
It is the disk that continues to spin. It takes 13 minutes and 33 seconds to
do a complete revolution.
Is this correct?

No. No load and the disk should stop. Are you sure everything is
switched off? I understand your comments about the switch - it's not
unknown for circuits to be tacked on wrongly, although in fairness, some
meters can take perhaps as many as 80 to 160 revolutions of the disk to
register 1kwh, so your 13 minutes seems like a very small load - more
like one of the check magnets inside the meter is wrongly set.

Next to the meter (on the exit side) is a switch. This looks like where the
electric enters the house. When I switch this off the disk continues to spin
at the same rate.
I have spoken to the supplier who has told me to take meter readings every
day then they will do a meter accuracy test. what does this involve.

'Phone them again and tell them you want someone to come and check the
meter ASAP. Don't let them fob you off with a delay.

The check they will (used to) do is to connect a known load to the meter
and check how long it takes to complete a set number of revolutions.
Set Square

In an earlier contribution to this
,
Scott wrote:
[...]

With everything switched off, the disc shouldn't move at all - so there
seems to be something (albeit very small) still being used. If your meter is
like mine, the disc will rotate 250 times per kW.Hr (unit). At the spin rate
you quote, you are consuming power at the rate of about 17 watts - and will
use a unit every 56 hours or so, or about 38 units (probably about 3 quid)
per quarter.

Is there *anything* which could still be running with everything switched
off - like a time clock for off-peak power, for example?

There is usually a charge for testing a meter. If it is found to be faulty,
the supplier pays. If it is found to be ok, and *you* requested the test,
*you* pay.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Colin Wilson

"creep" is a known problem - as the other poster says, get them round
there to sort the damn thing out.

See if you can tell from the rating plate on the meter how many
revolutions per kwh, and see if you can work out how much its been
registering above what it should.

You`ll probably find its not that much overall, but still annoying :-}

troubleinstore

Scott wrote:
[...]

I requested a meter check and all was ok in the end. The electricity company
didn't charge me.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

In misc.industry.utilities.electric troubleinstore wrote:

| I requested a meter check and all was ok in the end. The electricity company
| didn't charge me.

Some states require electric companies to give one free meter check if
requested every N years.

Colin Wilson

Some states require electric companies to give one free meter check
if requested every N years.

This side of the pond electricity meters are routinely replaced every
ten years.

As someone else mentioned, the period between meter changes is variable
depending on the type of meter and tariff.

Not that I've ever come across. Mine's 20 years old, and my parents'
is 40 years old.

That may be perfectly correct, but they will probably have been
recertified in the interim (at least the 40 yr old one)

Dave Liquorice

On 1 Aug 2004 09:26:38 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

This side of the pond electricity meters are routinely replaced
every ten years.

Not that I've ever come across. Mine's 20 years old, and my parents'
is 40 years old.

Had two meters at different locations (and RECs) replaced after ten
years. Both letters sent to make the appointment for the swap
definately implied that it is a routine ten year replacement.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

wanderer

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:50:38 -0500, Michael Stemper wrote:

snip

What does "REC" stand for in the UK?

Regional Electricity Company - in essence the outfits that own the
cables and wires. They *may* not be the supplier of energy to a
property. A supplier of energy pays a percentage to the RECs for using
their wires to supply energy to a property.

--
wanderer at tesco dot net