Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New electricity meter - rip-off

Eon just called and replace my meter with an Ampy 5246C.
Just in passing, the chap mentioned that it runs on GMT for Economy 7, so
will switch at 0700 when we change the clocks. Means that stuff that I do
before 0800 now will be on the higher rate.

The old meter was switched by radio signal and ususally switched at 0803
all year round.
Typical that modern technology can't do what the old stuff did - well, it
could but... It could have been switched via mains, I'd have thought.

BTW, searching for Ampy 5246C gives no useful hits at all; I wanted to
confirm the settings. Did find that it's rated for 20 year life so it might
still be here after Smart Meters come out.

Chap also started to replace the fuse - I assumed that it was in case the
old one had got tired, but he was putting in an 80A instead of the 100A. He
told me that it was due to the board feeding the storage heaters having
16mm tails, so I pointed out that it was 3-way so could take about 42A max
and he left the 100A in.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-11, PeterC wrote:

Eon just called and replace my meter with an Ampy 5246C.
Just in passing, the chap mentioned that it runs on GMT for Economy 7, so
will switch at 0700 when we change the clocks. Means that stuff that I do
before 0800 now will be on the higher rate.

The old meter was switched by radio signal and ususally switched at 0803
all year round.
Typical that modern technology can't do what the old stuff did - well, it
could but... It could have been switched via mains, I'd have thought.

I've seen two different versions of E7 meters in different areas, both
radio-switched:

1. with the night rate from 01:00 to 08:00 clock time, all year round;

2. with the night rate from 00:30 to 07:30 in the winter and 01:30 to
08:30 in the summer.

No idea why. Item 1 was about 16 years ago, but when I had it
installed, it was considered to be better than the mechanical ones
that behaved as item 2 still does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-11, PeterC wrote:

Eon just called and replace my meter with an Ampy 5246C.
Just in passing, the chap mentioned that it runs on GMT for Economy 7, so
will switch at 0700 when we change the clocks. Means that stuff that I do
before 0800 now will be on the higher rate.

The old meter was switched by radio signal and ususally switched at 0803
all year round.
Typical that modern technology can't do what the old stuff did - well, it
could but... It could have been switched via mains, I'd have thought.

I've seen two different versions of E7 meters in different areas, both
radio-switched:

1. with the night rate from 01:00 to 08:00 clock time, all year round;

Yep, that's what mine did.

2. with the night rate from 00:30 to 07:30 in the winter and 01:30 to
08:30 in the summer.

No idea why. Item 1 was about 16 years ago, but when I had it
installed, it was considered to be better than the mechanical ones
that behaved as item 2 still does.

--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-11, PeterC wrote:

Eon just called and replace my meter with an Ampy 5246C.
Just in passing, the chap mentioned that it runs on GMT for Economy 7, so
will switch at 0700 when we change the clocks. Means that stuff that I do
before 0800 now will be on the higher rate.

The old meter was switched by radio signal and ususally switched at 0803
all year round.
Typical that modern technology can't do what the old stuff did - well, it
could but... It could have been switched via mains, I'd have thought.

I've seen two different versions of E7 meters in different areas, both
radio-switched:

1. with the night rate from 01:00 to 08:00 clock time, all year round;

2. with the night rate from 00:30 to 07:30 in the winter and 01:30 to
08:30 in the summer.

I had one which the guy set from 22:00 to 24:00 and 02:00 to 07:00

Not only was this better for me for "other" use, it was also better for me
for heating the house

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:42:14 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Eon just called and replace my meter with an Ampy 5246C.
Just in passing, the chap mentioned that it runs on GMT for Economy 7, so
will switch at 0700 when we change the clocks. Means that stuff that I do
before 0800 now will be on the higher rate.

The old meter was switched by radio signal and ususally switched at 0803
all year round.

The new meter (made by a subsidiary of Landis & Gyr, a highly respected
name in the field of metrology and protection) is also controlled by radio
tele switching. What's your problem?

Typical that modern technology can't do what the old stuff did - well, it
could but... It could have been switched via mains, I'd have thought.

Ah, I see. You're moaning because your winter time E7 *might* just be
switched at the times published for the E7 tariff. Of course, you won't
find this out until the clocks change, so it's not a 'rip off' at all then?

Have you looked at your electricity supplier's web site? Have you asked
them what the time periods for E7 are?

--
The Wanderer

Cunning linguists do it with words......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:56:47 +0100, The Wanderer wrote:

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:42:14 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Eon just called and replace my meter with an Ampy 5246C.
Just in passing, the chap mentioned that it runs on GMT for Economy 7, so
will switch at 0700 when we change the clocks. Means that stuff that I do
before 0800 now will be on the higher rate.

The old meter was switched by radio signal and ususally switched at 0803
all year round.

The new meter (made by a subsidiary of Landis & Gyr, a highly respected
name in the field of metrology and protection) is also controlled by radio
tele switching. What's your problem?

That it's not enabled/addressed. I have a radio-adjusted clock, but I can
turn off the receiver (I prefer it to be a bit fast. Just because it's
built in doesn't mean that it has to be used by default - there's a lot of
that in telephone exchanges.

Typical that modern technology can't do what the old stuff did - well, it
could but... It could have been switched via mains, I'd have thought.

Ah, I see. You're moaning because your winter time E7 *might* just be
switched at the times published for the E7 tariff. Of course, you won't
find this out until the clocks change, so it's not a 'rip off' at all then?

Have you looked at your electricity supplier's web site? Have you asked
them what the time periods for E7 are?

As usual: 7 hours between 0000 and 0800, so 0700 is implied as possible,
not published as definite.

The electrician said that the meters are supplied as GMT only and warned me
about being on the higher rate at 0700 in the winter.
It's a bit like BT or some [other] ISP changing the times.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:42:09 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:56:47 +0100, The Wanderer wrote:

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:42:14 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Eon just called and replace my meter with an Ampy 5246C.
Just in passing, the chap mentioned that it runs on GMT for Economy 7, so
will switch at 0700 when we change the clocks. Means that stuff that I do
before 0800 now will be on the higher rate.

The old meter was switched by radio signal and ususally switched at 0803
all year round.

The new meter (made by a subsidiary of Landis & Gyr, a highly respected
name in the field of metrology and protection) is also controlled by radio
tele switching. What's your problem?

That it's not enabled/addressed.

How do you know it isn't enabled? Are you basing your comments purely on
what the meter basher said? Sorry but he almost certainly *won't* be an
electrician, and may well have misled you because he has an incomplete
grasp of what he has tried to tell you.

snip

Have you looked at your electricity supplier's web site? Have you asked
them what the time periods for E7 are?

As usual: 7 hours between 0000 and 0800, so 0700 is implied as possible,
not published as definite.

The time periods differ by supplier. This link lists times by all
suppliers.

http://spedr.com/1jn9d

It's not particularly up-to-datee, as it lists some now-defunct
distribution companies. It does however illustrate quite clearly that E7 is
available for a *period* of 7 hours in an wider envelope of 8 or 9 hours,
depending on the supplier.

The electrician said that the meters are supplied as GMT only and warned me
about being on the higher rate at 0700 in the winter.

Seems fair enough to me. Also suggests you're getting E7 up till 08.00
now....

It's a bit like BT or some [other] ISP changing the times.

No it isn't. You're getting E7 for a seven hour period within the wider
time envelope as published by your electricity supplier.

--
The Wanderer

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt (Mark Twain)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:46:50 +0100, The Wanderer wrote:

Have you looked at your electricity supplier's web site? Have you asked
them what the time periods for E7 are?

As usual: 7 hours between 0000 and 0800, so 0700 is implied as possible,
not published as definite.

The time periods differ by supplier. This link lists times by all
suppliers.

http://spedr.com/1jn9d

It's not particularly up-to-datee, as it lists some now-defunct
distribution companies. It does however illustrate quite clearly that E7 is
available for a *period* of 7 hours in an wider envelope of 8 or 9 hours,
depending on the supplier.

Thanks for the link. It's changed since we first went on to E7, as then it
was 2400 to 0800. My area is E. Midlands, supplied by Southern Electricity
through Ebico but the times are the same.
What I don't like is the uncertainty - preferred the fixed period (well,
been the same for about 10 years).
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-12, The Wanderer wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:42:09 +0100, PeterC wrote:

The electrician said that the meters are supplied as GMT only and warned me
about being on the higher rate at 0700 in the winter.

Seems fair enough to me. Also suggests you're getting E7 up till 08.00
now....

It's a bit like BT or some [other] ISP changing the times.

No it isn't. You're getting E7 for a seven hour period within the wider
time envelope as published by your electricity supplier.

But you need to know in advance what period you will actually get so
you can set the appliance timers properly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-12, The Wanderer wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:42:09 +0100, PeterC wrote:

The electrician said that the meters are supplied as GMT only and warned me
about being on the higher rate at 0700 in the winter.

Seems fair enough to me. Also suggests you're getting E7 up till 08.00
now....

It's a bit like BT or some [other] ISP changing the times.

No it isn't. You're getting E7 for a seven hour period within the wider
time envelope as published by your electricity supplier.

But you need to know in advance what period you will actually get so
you can set the appliance timers properly.

Yes, that's the point. Storage heaters are OK, of course, but it is useful
to know when the rate applies. That 'time envelope' is OK for load
management and still supplies the circuit switched by the meter but things
like the washing machine...
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:48:35 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

But you need to know in advance what period you will actually get so
you can set the appliance timers properly.

Yes, that's the point. Storage heaters are OK, of course, but it is useful
to know when the rate applies. That 'time envelope' is OK for load
management and still supplies the circuit switched by the meter but things
like the washing machine...

How about looking at the meter display around the possible
switchover period?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 06:26:02 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

PeterC wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:48:35 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

But you need to know in advance what period you will actually get so
you can set the appliance timers properly.

Yes, that's the point. Storage heaters are OK, of course, but it is useful
to know when the rate applies. That 'time envelope' is OK for load
management and still supplies the circuit switched by the meter but things
like the washing machine...

How about looking at the meter display around the possible
switchover period?

Chris

Yes, meant to do that this morning but got distracted. I've a spare outlet
for a storage heater so I might stick a mains neon on that as an indicator
(easier than getting to the meter). This, of course, tells me only when it
has happened, not when it will happen the following day!
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:48:35 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

But you need to know in advance what period you will actually get so
you can set the appliance timers properly.

Yes, that's the point. Storage heaters are OK, of course, but it is useful
to know when the rate applies. That 'time envelope' is OK for load
management and still supplies the circuit switched by the meter but things
like the washing machine...

How about looking at the meter display around the possible
switchover period?

Yes, meant to do that this morning but got distracted. I've a spare outlet
for a storage heater so I might stick a mains neon on that as an indicator
(easier than getting to the meter). This, of course, tells me only when it
has happened, not when it will happen the following day!

Is your supplier actually saying the E7 period can vary from day to
day?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

[...]

My meter doesn't appear to have any visual indicator as to which way it's
switched (unlike my old mechanical one).
However it does make a fairly loud clunk when it switches so I've been able
to confirm that E7 is going off at 07:00 gmt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's 7h within a 9h period; it might not have to be continuous.

I saw a bit somewhere that suggested that the meter could be used for load
management (I'd guess by turning off storage heaters only), which suggests
that there might be some sort of control possible. If that is so, then the
time could also be controlled re. BST/GMT.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:02:13 +0100, Nick L wrote:

How about looking at the meter display around the possible
switchover period?

Yes, meant to do that this morning but got distracted. I've a spare
outlet
for a storage heater so I might stick a mains neon on that as an
indicator
(easier than getting to the meter). This, of course, tells me only when
it
has happened, not when it will happen the following day!

Is your supplier actually saying the E7 period can vary from day to
day?

My meter doesn't appear to have any visual indicator as to which way it's
switched (unlike my old mechanical one).
However it does make a fairly loud clunk when it switches so I've been able
to confirm that E7 is going off at 07:00 gmt.

Ah, I'll have to listen for that. I'd assumed initially that it might be
solid-state switching, but for possibly 60A and not all resistive, that'd
need thyristors as big as the meter.

If mine is 0700 (that'd be 0600 on GMT) then I just about got the heating
period of the washing machine.

Mine shows "1" for daytime rate and "4" for night-time.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:02:13 +0100, Nick L wrote:

My meter doesn't appear to have any visual indicator as to which way
it's switched (unlike my old mechanical one).

I think it will have and two readings. Our electronic multirate meter
cycles its LCD through an all on segment test and the two readings
with a small flag indicating a different number on the bezel.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-13, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:02:13 +0100, Nick L wrote:

My meter doesn't appear to have any visual indicator as to which way
it's switched (unlike my old mechanical one).

I think it will have and two readings. Our electronic multirate meter
cycles its LCD through an all on segment test and the two readings
with a small flag indicating a different number on the bezel.

Mine does something like that too.