Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default New electricity meter - rip-off

On 2009-08-13, PeterC wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 06:26:02 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

PeterC wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:48:35 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

But you need to know in advance what period you will actually get so
you can set the appliance timers properly.

Yes, that's the point. Storage heaters are OK, of course, but it is useful
to know when the rate applies. That 'time envelope' is OK for load
management and still supplies the circuit switched by the meter but things
like the washing machine...

How about looking at the meter display around the possible
switchover period?

Yes, meant to do that this morning but got distracted. I've a spare outlet
for a storage heater so I might stick a mains neon on that as an indicator
(easier than getting to the meter). This, of course, tells me only when it
has happened, not when it will happen the following day!

Is your supplier actually saying the E7 period can vary from day to
day?

Yes, it's 7h within a 9h period; it might not have to be continuous.

I saw a bit somewhere that suggested that the meter could be used for load
management (I'd guess by turning off storage heaters only), which suggests
that there might be some sort of control possible. If that is so, then the
time could also be controlled re. BST/GMT.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.